• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I’m at a wedding reception and

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I was at a wedding reception and ... I got terribly drunk, started telling the guy seated next to me how awful the singer was (and she was truly awful) ... said that I prefer no music to bad music, because at least no music does not grate ... and then I found out that the guy was the singer's brother.

FORTUNATELY he thinks she's awful too.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
these speakers suck:
View attachment 309652
No need for a review, you can take my word for it. :)
Oh don't get me started.

My Son's wedding, the DJ seemed to think "Turn it up to 100%THD" was the way to make the music sound good.

Not to mention that he drove everyone older than about 16 out of the reception room*, I swear to god the woofer cones were bouncing off the opposite wall.

Those who stayed are now permanently deaf.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Oh don't get me started.

My Son's wedding, the DJ seemed to think "Turn it up to 100%THD" was the way to make the music sound good.

Not to mention that he drove everyone older than about 16 out of the reception room*, I swear to god the woofer cones were bouncing off the opposite wall.

Those who stayed are now permanently deaf.
You guys were payin for him.
I'd have told him to turn it down or go home, unpaid. ;)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys were payin for him.
I'd have told him to turn it down or go home, unpaid. ;)
All arranagements were by the couple - largely the bride. Emotions run high. Don't criticise the arrangements. Besides - she might have *wanted* it that way.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are you disappointed that the PA speakers aren't properly conveying the verve, pep and dynamics of LMFAO's master hits

OP
RobL

RobL

Are you disappointed that the PA speakers aren't properly conveying the verve, pep and dynamics of LMFAO's master hits
Well, usually when I’m half in the bag almost anything sounds good…

mixsit

Forum Donor
My goodness (or not!) Tapco is -was.. Mackie before he became/started Mackie :(

thegeton

Forum Donor
I’ve been to 2 weddings in the last month and they both had a setup with 2 JBL PRX one. They can get loud
View attachment 309656
We went to two different house parties this summer where both bands used one of these in an outdoor setting. Sounded fine to me.

ta240

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, too many people that do these systems think louder fixed everything. I've been driven away from several street fairs and county fairs where I think the performers might have been talented but the terrible sound system, and/or setup made them painful to listen to.

I’ve been to 2 weddings in the last month and they both had a setup with 2 JBL PRX one. They can get loud
View attachment 309656
They had a similar design but different brand playing in a Macys onetime and it sounded pretty good to me. My wife said we couldn't get them for the living room though...

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
What did they use for subwoofers? PA mains typically only go down to 80hz or so. If they didn't use bass management or, even worse, tried to boost the bass in the mains, it would sound terrible.

andymcbain

My goodness (or not!) Tapco is -was.. Mackie before he became/started Mackie :(

And more recently became Mackie’s budget brand I believe… and given that I’ve never heard a pair of Mackie active PA speakers that I liked, I don’t have high hopes for these ones either

I used to love my Tapco S8 studio monitors though. Unfortunately they were enormous and didn’t make the cut when I downsized to a smaller house!

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi a bit off-topic.

The kneejerk reaction for many audiophiles, is to qualify P.A. systems as "bad" , and certainly, 'Not audiophile' quality.

I would surmise that some of these often shock me, and this is humbling. Yep, further losing a good amount of my audiophile creds, patiently accumulated for 5 decades :( ... :)...
I have been thoroughly fooled by the Bose L1 Pro xx into thinking that a real band was playing in a place... or by the JBL PRX-1 ...

To this day Two of the best and most truthful representations of a live band I've heard, were as from :
A PA system in a Georgia hall. I learned later it is a
Danley Sound installation...
And the other was also Danley, didn't know before hand, at the Michigan Emagine Theater somewhere around Detroit ... Has to be the most spectacular Dolby thing I have ever heard.. Bar none...

Peace.

Last edited:

eric-c

Forum Donor
Maybe you get to take the speakers home afterwards like the flower centre pieces. "I insist, please you take them"

OP
RobL

RobL

Hi a bit off-topic.

The kneejerk reaction for many audiophiles, is to qualify P.A. systems as "bad" , and certainly, 'Not audiophile' quality.

I would surmise that some of these often shock me, and this is humbling. Yep, further losing a good amount of my audiophile creds, patiently accumulated for 5 decades :( ... :)...
I have been thoroughly fooled by the Bose L1 Pro xx into thinking that a real band was playing in a place... or by the JBL PRX-1 ...

To this day Two of the best and most truthful representations of a live band I've heard, were as from :
A PA system in a Georgia hall. I learned Later it a Danley Sound installation...
And the other was also Danley, didn't know before hand, at the Michigan Emagine Theater somewhere around Detroit ... Has to be the most spectacular Dolby thing I have ever heard.. Bar none...

Peace.
Absolutely! I rented some JBL PA speakers (don’t remember the model) for my wife’s 40th birthday that had no trouble filling a very large hall with excellent sound.

Top Bottom