• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex nCore vs Class A amps

Audio89

Sorry, no links, but a suggestion. Compare an ATI Ncore amp (linear PSU) to another Ncore (SMPS). I've seen measurements that show how much 60Hz & harmonics the ATIs leak, but I can't recall where right now.
Ive been reading what I can on this site, and looking around the web for kits and pre made boards. Very interested in testing and implementing switching power supplies.

Audio89

But what does that have to do with the voltage?
I believe on Audioquests web site they state the 72 volt system is part of an elaborate shield. So I was curious to how effective it was.

Audio89

Recently replaced all amplifiers with new nCore units. Only drawback is I miss the satisfaction of listening to something I designed myself. But I can live very well with that, because:

- Compared to the class-A, distortion at low level is similar or lower, harmonic distribution less perfect, but since level is far below threshold of hearing, that does not matter. At higher power levels the new ones simply destroy the exotic.
- Lower noise, need to put my head inside the horn to hear anything at all in a quiet room.
- Can drive any load with ease, just like the class-A. But..
- 4 times smaller size, 10x power, 90% reduction in power consumption and heat. How can you not love that.

They are sonically transparent. In fact, if I was to build those for sale, I would sell them with sound quality guarantee - if you can hear a difference between input and output, return it and get a full refund.

I could design an AB circuit with similar performance, it would be 6x the size, use 4x to 8x power, output transistors alone would cost more than the complete nCore module with power supply.

Built 2 types - the Buurion and the slightly larger Guurion. I like the design. Real wood, you can see the cooling and amplifier boards, takes up very little space due to the narrow width.

Problem solved. Case closed.

View attachment 58697
Wow looks nice

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I believe on Audioquests web site they state the 72 volt system is part of an elaborate shield.

Lesson One: Anything "technical" on a huckster's website should default to "disregard."

Audio89

Lesson One: Anything "technical" on a huckster's website should default to "disregard."
I usually believe half of what I read until proven otherwise, the main reason I like audioquest is the cold weld process, they don’t use solder.

Jake's Dad

@Audio89, permit me to offer you some unsolicited but sincere advice. Your recent exchanges with @SIY bring to light a very common phenomenon on ASR: people on this site are VERY science-minded, as others have said. It is seldom remarked, however, that this orientation also translates to a very thorough reading of what others post. In this regard, I have always found it interesting that posters frequently have more "likes" than they have posts (as is the case with @SIY for example). That tells me that people are reading one another's posts with great interest and care. I have found the members of this site to be exceptionally kind and patient, and incredibly helpful, but my advice is never test them with unsubstantiated and conclusory statements and even more so, never try to B.S. them. While my experience over a couple of years is that people on this site are exceptionally self-effacing and reluctant to talk about their accomplishments, over time you'll realize that they include some of the leading people in audio design and manufacture, period. Definitely not the right crowd to try any hijinks with. There are many audio sites where a poster can get away with nonsense in terms of the "truth content" of his claims. This just isn't one of them.

P.S. For the record, I have no audio accomplishments. I'm referring only to the many others on this site that do. My wife indeed might say I have no accomplishments at all.:)

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I usually believe half of what I read until proven otherwise

But how do you decide which half?

the main reason I like audioquest is the cold weld process, they don’t use solder.

Ans that is good because...?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are many audio sites where a poster can get away with nonsense in terms of the "truth content" of his claims. This just isn't one of them.

Hear hear!

Audio89

@Audio89, permit me to offer you some unsolicited but sincere advice. Your recent exchanges with @SIY bring to light a very common phenomenon on ASR: people on this site are VERY science-minded, as others have said. It is seldom remarked, however, that this orientation also translates to a very thorough reading of what others post. In this regard, I have always found it interesting that posters frequently have more "likes" than they have posts (as is the case with @SIY for example). That tells me that people are reading one another's posts with great interest and care. I have found the members of this site to be exceptionally kind and patient, and incredibly helpful, but my advice is never test them with unsubstantiated and conclusory statements and even more so, never try to B.S. them. While my experience over a couple of years is that people on this site are exceptionally self-effacing and reluctant to talk about their accomplishments, over time you'll realize that they include some of the leading people in audio design and manufacture, period. Definitely not the right crowd to try to any hijinks with. There are many audio sites where a poster can get away with nonsense in terms of the "truth content" of his claims. This just isn't one of them.

P.S. For the record, I have no audio accomplishments. I'm referring only to the many others on this site that do. My wife indeed might say I have no accomplishments at all.:)

I appreciate the constructive criticism and have already been scolded for my approach. I’ve already apologized and promised to keep an open mind, but if it makes you feel better to scold me also then have at it.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And, if I may add, the reason for the disdain and cynicism of many audio companies (such as Audioquest) is that after seeing dozens if not hundreds of independent reviews with measurements here, there is astoundingly little correlation between price and sound quality. After this dawns on you, you realize that most of the audio industry has been built on a lie - a marketing con job. Many products marketed as "high-end" with price tags to match are no better performing than less expensive products - sometimes worse. It's a real Matrix-style mind fuck.
The good news in all this is it means there are high performing (proven), well engineered products out there for reasonable prices. If you can get past the brand cache and name brand preconceptions, you can feel good knowing you have a quality product for a good value price.
So, you have to decide, will it be the red pill or the blue pill?

Audio89

But how do you decide which half?
I decide after either more research or testing myself.

Ans that is good because...?
It’s a direct connection from copper to copper, or copper to silver.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a direct connection from copper to copper, or copper to silver.

And it makes what electrical difference electrically? How is it possible that all our computers, with a gazillion more connections at many, many orders of magnitude higher frequencies and speeds, work just fine despite being soldered? How come all the hundreds or thousands of connections inside your amp are soldered, but it is the two ones on the cable that matter?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve already apologized and promised to keep an open mind

But you still keep posting all sorts of statements that mostly seem to show a lack of basic understanding of physics and electronics...

Audio89

And, if I may add, the reason for the disdain and cynicism of many audio companies (such as Audioquest) is that after seeing dozens if not hundreds of independent reviews with measurements here, there is astoundingly little correlation between price and sound quality. After this dawns on you, you realize that most of the audio industry has been built on a lie - a marketing con job. Many products marketed as "high-end" with price tags to match are no better performing than less expensive products - sometimes worse. It's a real Matrix-style mind fuck.
The good news in all this is it means there are high performing (proven), well engineered products out there for reasonable prices. If you can get past the brand cache and name brand preconceptions, you can feel good knowing you have a quality product for a good value price.
So, you have to decide, will it be the red pill or the blue pill?
I agree totally what you are driving at and came to the same conclusion when I started understanding electronics, or for the most part lol. I know Audioquest is a gimmicky company and that’s why I would never pay full price, I just appreciate the direct connection process they use for the cables

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's cool. I think the general consensus here is that audio is a fun hobby, and many purchases are based on peace of mind and looks too. Just realize that's what you are paying for, not necessarily because it's better at audio.

Audio89

And it makes what electrical difference electrically? How is it possible that all our computers, with a gazillion more connections at many, many orders of magnitude higher frequencies and speeds, work just fine despite being soldered? How come all the hundreds or thousands of connections inside your amp are soldered, but it is the two ones on the cable that matter?
Well for one I’m not an electrical engineer and I’m unsure why you are trying to put me on the spot like I ran over your mailbox but I’m not going to back down. From what I’ve noticed through my own testing “and it just could be me hearing things” I noticed a better bass response on a speaker cable I was experimenting with when connected without solder. My wife was also listening and she noticed as well. BTW we can go round and round with your question why they use solder in high frequency circuits and there’s no problem. Why do different interconnect cables sound different? Why do different speaker cables sound different?

Top Bottom