• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Huge Doubt - Arcam AVR390 and Denon 4700h

John People

Hey guys.

I have a chance to get a brand new unit close out from BestBuy for 1399. I'm currently running a Denon 4700h. Would that be a good trade? I'm really confused if I should get this unit for a good price with 2 years protection.

I have 2 Rotels RMB-1555 and will be using just the preamps on both units. Room is about 12x11.

Martin Logan Motion 40's and 2 SVS PB-3000 SUBS

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Keep the Denon. Better amps on that model compared to the Arcam.

Edit: Oh, just the preamps. Even more reason not to switch.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Thanks for pointing that out. I will be using just the pre outs still keep the Denon?
I think as long as they can supply enough output to the Rotel amps they'll be ok. That would be the main consideration.

OP
J

John People

I think as long as they can supply enough output to the Rotel amps they'll be ok. That would be the main consideration.
Thanks,

I was just thinking I would be able to get better room eq with Dirac. I have a minidsp and umik-1. Not sure if that combined with audyssey would get me pretty close.

Attachments

• setup.jpeg
    setup.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 73

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Thanks,

I was just thinking I would be able to get better room eq with Dirac. I have a minidsp and umik-1. Not sure if that combined with audyssey would get me pretty close.
I don't know that I can give good advice here. I'm biased toward pro automated EQ like Neumann's or Genelec's and the pro ecosystem in general.

I have difficulty believing that Dirac or Audyssy are as well implemented and would, if I was in your position, stick to manual EQ, which I'm comfortable with.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Thanks,

Just saw you attached an image. Subs are generally pretty position sensitive and if you have a few days you can produce a more optimal curve and integration with mains by experimenting with positioning even before EQ. Of course, if you are limited in space or like the look, that's ok, and you can make do with EQ.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
The Denon 4700h can use this eq tool: It’s 2o bucks but very powerful for customizing the EQ results to taste. It also lets you save multiple EQ setups, like one for Movies and another for Music. Takes about 3 mins to load any saved eq setup. Just for this tool alone I would keep the Denon. Good luck!

Update to the above load time estimate. I ran six separate Eq file updates to get a more precise estimate. Results were very consistent at just under 90 seconds to load to the AVR. Making utilizing customized EQ setups easy and quick. This Audyssey EQ App is possibly the best improvement in Audyssey in a decade. For maximum tweaking experience use a tablet or IPad. The extra size and workspace makes tweaking individual speaker eq response curves more precise and simple.

Last edited:
Top Bottom