• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp or Preamp Receiver

dsehmi

I am looking to replace my Arkam AVR30, which completely died last month. I have been reading so many reviews, and now I'm going into analysis paralysis.

I currently have a 2.1 set up with a power amp and a TV. I have 2 Martin Logan Summit X speakers powered by a Rotel RB 1582. Since I no longer have my receiver, I was looking into the following 3 options which I am getting from a friend of mine, all for approximately the same amount of money. So the budget isn't a problem in regards to the MSRP of the Amp/Pre.

1. Denon AVR X4800H Receiver
2. Arcam AV41Pre/Processor
3. Marantz AV 8805a Pre/Processor

I don't really want to get into another Arcam because I had so many issues with the previous model, even after sending it back for the 2.1 HDMI upgrade.
What I really am trying to decipher is whether or not it's worth getting separates or just stick with the Denon and call it a day. My only dilemma is that the price for all these three items for me is the same, give or take $200, which is essentially insignificant.

Please let me know your guys opinions.

Attachments

• audio setup.jpg
    audio setup.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 29

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you had troubles with Arcam, I’m not really sure why you’d have another Arcam in your consideration. That said, by most accounts, they are dependable and you may have just got a lemon. It happens once in awhile with any brand. I would be more interested to hear if you felt Arcam customer service was acceptable. Regarding your larger question, of AVR vs. separates, really only you can answer that. The Denon will do the job unless you require more power than it provides. As with any AVR or Streaming Pre/Pro technologies will change and there will likely be some new format years from now that isn’t supported by any of todays current offerings. I suppose with separates you could keep your amps, assuming they still function, when the front end becomes outdated. Who knows when that will happen? Could be 20 years, could be 20 days? Most likely it would be a ways out though. If it was me, I’d go for the Denon, you can always run it as a Pre/Pro and add a more powerful amp to it, so it gives you flexibility.

OP
D

dsehmi

If you had troubles with Arcam, I’m not really sure why you’d have another Arcam in your consideration. That said, by most accounts, they are dependable and you may have just got a lemon. It happens once in awhile with any brand. I would be more interested to hear if you felt Arcam customer service was acceptable. Regarding your larger question, of AVR vs. separates, really only you can answer that. The Denon will do the job unless you require more power than it provides. As with any AVR or Streaming Pre/Pro technologies will change and there will likely be some new format years from now that isn’t supported by any of todays current offerings. I suppose with separates you could keep your amps, assuming they still function, when the front end becomes outdated. Who knows when that will happen? Could be 20 years, could be 20 days? Most likely it would be a ways out though. If it was me, I’d go for the Denon, you can always run it as a Pre/Pro and add a more powerful amp to it, so it gives you flexibility.
Thanks for your input. As far as Arcam customer service, it was incredible. They upgraded my board initially, and when it was time to set up Dirac again, that's when the problem arose. The problem arose when I called Best Buy Magnolia to take a look at it, as they were the ones coming over to do the room calibration again. When the receiver went tits up, they gave me store credit and took the unit. I have a case with consumer affairs, but that's a separate issue. Arcam tried to work with them to get it back so they could diagnose and fix the issue, but to no avail...hence I'm in this situation.

Top Bottom