• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HQplayer - do I need it?

shoto

I will try a test of PCM and DSD also, I tried PCM filters but couldnt reliably tell apart.

I can only load the 2 files into foobar playlist, hit random play, and try guess which is playing, it is harder than foobar ABX test but I did manage to get more correct than incorrect.
Maybe luck or maybe if ABX tool works I could pass the test.

If there is a difference DSD might be easier to pass the test, since it is processed differently in the DAC.

I dont know good way to generate DSD file for the test

Igor Gaich

More on the topic, earlier I said that Hq player sounds better offline without Roon. Let me remind you that my installation is a simple Gustard X26 pro DAC and a Lenovo i5 laptop. So, in addition, I will say that I also listened to Foobar2000, Roon, Tidal in my system Desktop, in addition, I also connected my DAC to a Samsung A315F smartphone and to the X96Max plus Q2 set-top box, in these two last cases I used the Usb Audio Player Pro program. The best sound is from HQ player with conversion to DSD256 and Sinc M, Sinc Mx filters. Roon, unfortunately, was worse than other options in terms of sound, it sounded more harsh. The rest of the options are about the same at the level of self-hypnosis and are close to HQ Player. But Roon cannot be bad, I suspect that something is wrong with my PC, it probably somehow affects on RAAT .... and I need a better core.... By the way, I had a Zidoo z9x earlier, it was used as the Roon endpoint, so from memory the sound was the same as the output from the core .... so I think still shitting my pc...
.And again, this is my subjective listening.

Which HQplayer version for THinkpad T420 ?
Please help .
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot (100).png
    Screenshot (100).png
    42.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot (101).png
    Screenshot (101).png
    41.9 KB · Views: 62

Igor Gaich

hq player settings are very extensive. Start with the simplest option, without roon, with the DAC connected directly to the PC

ehabheikal

Maybe @amirm could review HQPlayer? I enjoyed this article on Archimago's Musings. I know its not a review of all of the functionality, but still, an

I can feed HQPlayer with any type of source, into my DSP crossover

And all sound arrives at listening position, with all 8 drivers time aligned.

And from my iPad, I can change different room correction bass profiles (65k tap FIR filters - speaking of lots of taps ;)) depending on track playing - while the music is playing.

Are your speakers doing that right now ? You should try HQPlayer ;)

And while doing all the above, having highest quality digital filters too (nice bonus )
How do you feed hqplayer any source? Can I use it to stream using the qobuz app on my phone?

ehabheikal

About 4 years ago I’ve done a number of blind test on various HQPlayer filters when I was considering what player software I wanted to use - I just wrote a script that switched filters randomly and recorded which one was in effect without me knowing it so I could later match it up with my preferences. I was sure I could tell the difference between them before the blind test. My result? I couldn’t reliably tell the difference driving Holo Spring DAC. Subjectively, preferred PCM to DSD. Objectively, still couldn't tell the difference reliably.
hqplayer has scripting or an apii to script externally?

Moises

Just out of interest, can you/ do you feed Amazon HD into HQ player? If so , how? I might give it a trial if so.
I suggest to ask on HQplayer roon forum, Jussi the developer replies there for such specialized questions

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Triggers? or only control?
It’s been many years since I looked at it. I believe it was both, but I could be wrong. The software used to include a small C++ sample file with all the APIs exercised, you’re better off looking at that and the documentation .

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I don't.
At least I don't care.
When playing back PCM we all (except the few who use a R2R ladder DAC) are listening essentially to "DSD" since any Sigma Delta DAC by design internally resamples and transcodes to high rate "DSD". Which, of course, is a redundant remark.
Doing the filtering and modulation on the computer side in software overrides the often pretty weak (mediocre at best) PCM reconstruction filters built into DACS as well as their SDM modulators. Buy doing that the music is ideally sent directly to the D/A conversion stage of the DAC so that the DAC can run in idle mode. This goes for TI and AKM chips in "direct" mode and obviously also for the RHOM chip. ESS is apparently a bit different (?), although also ESS chips at least do not resample when they receive DSD as input.
So the question for me is not about the file format. The question (with Sigma Delta DACs) is where do you want the inevitable transformation to "DSD" happen - leave it to the DAC "as is" or do it in software on the computer side (which includes the possibility to customize the processing WRT filters, modulators, final sample rate).
Which modern DAC chip actually uses one bit DSD conversion when playing PCM?

My point would be that the PCM translation step is optimised for the actual conversion stage. There’s more than the reconstruction filter here: for example you may not apply the optimum noise shaping.

If you look at comparison tests of DSD and PCM, DSD is usually measurably but not audibly worse. If the difference is inaudible it’s probably not worth the hassle unless you are using some other feature in your software.

Moises

Yes, a REST api to control the player.
Hi, here the reply from the developer:

It has XML-over-TCP control API. You can find client-side reference implementation along with the hqp-control2 source code at the end of the page here:

For simple things, one can just call hqp-control2 utility which is included in all HQPlayer Desktop builds

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, here the reply from the developer:

It has XML-over-TCP control API. You can find client-side reference implementation along with the hqp-control2 source code at the end of the page here:

For simple things, one can just call hqp-control2 utility which is included in all HQPlayer Desktop builds

Ah, yes, I remember now, it wasn't REST, but rather TCP/IP implementation. Like I said, it was a while since I looked at it.

gvl

Major Contributor
How do you feed hqplayer any source? Can I use it to stream using the qobuz app on my phone?

Last time I checked which was a couple of years ago HQP embedded could get its input from a USB interface, so you could use say Chromecast Audio SPDIF output into Mini DSP USBStreamer to do that.

gvl

Major Contributor
And forgot to mention there were some limitations wrt sampling rate changes, unless you were using an RME interface you had to run at a fixed rate. Perhaps things have improved since then.

Moises

No worries, I wasn't replying to you.

I was replying to one of the many people here saying you don't need HQPlayer, even though it is obvious they really don't know it even is !

They are 3-way DIY plus 2 subs. Starting with Audiolense XO to create DSP crossover and room correction filter files. Then import these into HQPlayers pipeline matrix. In HQP setup different room correction profiles.

Then sitting on couch with iPad, simply use HQPDControl app to select any profile you created. While the music is playing. All from an iPad app.

Hard to setup. But very easy to actually use once setup. Just an iPad for useage, to control HQPlayer and to choose different room correction profiles (while music is still playing).
I’m a HQplayer big fan as well! I used and App called HouseCurve to do room correction and it was quite fun and easier and
cheaper than Audiolense <yes of course not as good>. I just export values into parametric equalizer on HQplayer and that’s it.

I’m currently using 2 audio Zones as endpoint on HQplayer one with Accuphase DAC-60 DSD256 and the other with Ifi Neo IDSD DSD512x48 both using a Rpi4 NAA as endpoint.

HQplayer NAA is the only option to be able to to reach DSD256 on DAC-60 without having to use a windows ASIO driver, so I’m quite happy because MacOS core audio can do only DoP at max DSD128.

Have fun!

Top Bottom