• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HQplayer - do I need it?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Sounds like a powerful dsp engine with a myriad of uses. Shame the upsampling does nothing.
It also has a myriad of long tap filter options, which do nothing.
Keith

Music1969

Major Contributor
It also has a myriad of long tap filter options, which do nothing.
Keith
I can feed HQPlayer with any type of source, into my DSP crossover

And all sound arrives at listening position, with all 8 drivers time aligned.

And from my iPad, I can change different room correction bass profiles (65k tap FIR filters - speaking of lots of taps ;)) depending on track playing - while the music is playing.

Are your speakers doing that right now ? You should try HQPlayer ;)

And while doing all the above, having highest quality digital filters too (nice bonus )

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

And from my iPad, I can change different room correction bass profiles (65k tap FIR filters - speaking of lots of taps ;)) depending on track playing - while the music is playing.

And while doing all the above, having highest quality digital filters too (nice bonus )
Just out of interest, can you/ do you feed Amazon HD into HQ player? If so , how? I might give it a trial if so.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Yes my speakers do all that,
Keith

Music1969

Major Contributor
Just out of interest, can you/ do you feed Amazon HD into HQ player? If so , how? I might give it a trial if so.
Absolutely, check what I wrote in post #32 of this thread.

Bit perfect Amazon UHD casting with WiiM Mini (check out WiiM Mini thread)

I can feed any source - digital or analogue.

tonapo

As I said earlier I am not doing anything like this, but I am interested. How do you set it up? And what speakers are they? Thx.

Music1969

Major Contributor
As I said earlier I am not doing anything like this, but I am interested. How do you set it up? And what speakers are they? Thx.
No worries, I wasn't replying to you.

I was replying to one of the many people here saying you don't need HQPlayer, even though it is obvious they really don't know it even is !

They are 3-way DIY plus 2 subs. Starting with Audiolense XO to create DSP crossover and room correction filter files. Then import these into HQPlayers pipeline matrix. In HQP setup different room correction profiles.

Then sitting on couch with iPad, simply use HQPDControl app to select any profile you created. While the music is playing. All from an iPad app.

Hard to setup. But very easy to actually use once setup. Just an iPad for useage, to control HQPlayer and to choose different room correction profiles (while music is still playing).

Last edited:

tonapo

Then sitting on couch with iPad, simply use HQPDControl app to select any profile you created. While the music is playing. All from an iPad app.
I took inspiration from you and downloaded HQPDControl and now change my Home Audio Fidelity filters from in the app! Thanks for the tip.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I took inspiration from you and downloaded HQPDControl and now change my Home Audio Fidelity filters from in the app! Thanks for the tip.

Well done!

It sounds like you successfully imported your HAF room correction filters into HQP pipeline matrix ?

Kudos !

Using Roon playing to HQPlayer I assume?

Blew

I will also add, perhaps the differences were due to other filters that the software gives ... in any case, I have 30 days to understand what's what ....
So, what's what?

Hammer

Hi, just saw the video review of the Chord MScaler and I think HQPlayer does the same job (and then some) except using a PC. I’ve used HQPlayer for years and have found it to hugely improve the sound of my system. My chain is flac files via Roon to HQPlayer which does convolution using REW files to a D90 MQA DAC (via NAA on a Pi4) to Bryston Amps to YG Sonjas. I’ve tried doing the room correction in Roon using the same REW files and running it through HQPlayer just sounds smoother/better. Not very scientific, I know!

Any plans to measure HQPlayer?

Last edited:

chips666

Hi, just saw the video review of the Chord MScaler and I think HQPlayer does the same job (and then some) except using a PC. I’ve used HQPlayer for years and have found it to hugely improve the sound of my system. My chain is flac files via Roon to HQPlayer which does convolution using REW files to a D90 MQA DAC (via NAA on a Pi4) to Bryston Amps to YG Sonjas. I’ve tried doing the room correction in Roon using the same REW files and running it through HQPlayer just sounds smoother/better. Not very scientific, I know!

Any plans to measure HQPlayer?
Enjoy...

Moises

Happy 4th!

I purchased a license the other dsy after brief testing. HQPlayer is a pain to test with the 30 time limit, but setup was really easy. I have a desktop with an i7 and Nvidia 1080ti running HQPlayer Desktop. I'm upconverting to DSD256: SDM,sinc-M,ASDM7ECv2. I thought Roon was doing a great job, but in short HQPlayer blows it out of the water. HQPlayer is more concise, weightier, dynamic, and musical in comparison. Instruments have separation, weight, all of the spacial detail you can stand. Its just an immensly enjoyable, detailed, and most importantly, musical presentation.

I tried PCM and DSD using all of the filters. I wasn't impressed until I upconverted to DSD256.
Totally agree!

Igor Gaich

Good afternoon everyone, I want to add on the topic, after the time that I use hq player, I compared two use cases, the first is a bunch of roon + hq player, and the second is hq player in himself mode, and so, hq player without roon, the sound is better, and this is noticeable in my system. Roon without hq player plays worse. Also not bad roon with resampling in dsd256 , but still hq player was better. hq player I have a desktop version, which is why I completely switched to a local media library, without streaming services

Top Bottom