• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HQplayer - do I need it?

Zathras

Absolutely, check what I wrote in post #32 of this thread.

Bit perfect Amazon UHD casting with WiiM Mini (check out WiiM Mini thread)

I can feed any source - digital or analogue.
Sorry to reference an old post, but I'm trying to feed the Wiim Mini into HQPlayer (or CamillaDSP) in Linux, but everything I've tried seems to be limited to capturing SPDIF at a fixed samplerate. I'm curious how you are doing it @Music1969. I think the only way HQPlayer can take SPDIF as a source with auto samplerate switching is to use an RME ADI-2 specifically for that purpose, which is pretty expensive just to use as an SPDIF input.

gvl

Major Contributor
Sorry to reference an old post, but I'm trying to feed the Wiim Mini into HQPlayer (or CamillaDSP) in Linux, but everything I've tried seems to be limited to capturing SPDIF at a fixed samplerate. I'm curious how you are doing it @Music1969. I think the only way HQPlayer can take SPDIF as a source with auto samplerate switching is to use an RME ADI-2 specifically for that purpose, which is pretty expensive just to use as an SPDIF input.

Iirc RME is the only way but things may have changed. The embedded version can act as a UAC class device if you can find right hardware.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I think the only way HQPlayer can take SPDIF as a source with auto samplerate switching is to use an RME ADI-2 specifically for that purpose
Correct. Better and cheaper to find a used ADI-2 DAC

The embedded version can act as a UAC class device if you can find right hardware.
Yes but not even HQPlayer's creator has found such hardware yet, so RME remains best method

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Is SPDIF via an RME the only way to get a digital input into HQPlayer?

Is it able to take ASIO or WDM input?

I used to have a license for an old version of HQPlayer. I lost it when my HDD crashed. Turns out that they don't let you re-download HQP if it's more than 2 years since you bought the license! That's USD$200 down the drain. For context, USD$500 gives you a lifetime subscription to Roon. JRiver allows you to download the same version up to 10 times for USD$60. Rather disappointing.

Music1969

Major Contributor
For context, USD$500 gives you a lifetime subscription to Roon. JRiver allows you to download the same version up to 10 times for USD$60. Rather disappointing.
When trying to critique someone's pricing, you can't compare apples and oranges.

HQPlayer would have significantly less users than Roon and JRiver

and HQP is a one man band.

When I consider this, I think HQPlayer pricing is fair.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
From the perspective of a consumer, it also does less than Roon or JRiver (in fact, MUCH less than JRiver) and is also more limited in functionality. The user interface is just poor, there is no other way to describe it. For a few years now I have been trying to figure out a way to use HQP as a convolver only, but I can't do that because it does not accept any input (either ASIO or WDM) and the only way is to have a second computer just to run HQP, and use a first computer to host your media player.

Does the latest version of HQP allow ASIO/WDM input? Or is the only way to get a digital input to get a second computer and run HQP on it?

Music1969

Major Contributor
it also does less than Roon or JRiver (in fact, MUCH less than JRiver) and is also more limited in functionality.
I don't see a way to feed any source , bit perfectly, with auto sample rate switching, through Rough or JRiver?

With a headless setup, not requiring a keyboard/monitor/mouse/Windoze at all in daily use.

I do can with HQPlayer...

The user interface is just poor, there is no other way to describe it.

My interface with HQPlayer is Apple Music Hi-Res on iPadOS, Spotify.

Some of the best UI/UX out there
For a few years now I have been trying to figure out a way to use HQP as a convolver only, but I can't do that because it does not accept any input (either ASIO or WDM) and the only way is to have a second computer just to run HQP, and use a first computer to host your media player.

Ah you are stuck with old Desktop version of HQP.

You haven't discovered headless Embedded version ;-)

gvl

Major Contributor
What is the hardware specifics?

He mentioned some obscure compact PC platform in the main HQE thread on that other forum, is it called audiophile style now? No idea if it was actually available for purchase then or now. Try searching my posts there, I think I used the same username, or ask again.

Music1969

Major Contributor
He mentioned some obscure compact PC platform in the main HQE thread on that other forum, is it called audiophile style now? No idea if it was actually available for purchase then or now. Try searching my posts there, I think I used the same username, or ask again.
No worries, we'll file it under the "practically speaking, RME hardware is only solution with auto sample rate switching"

Finding a used ADI-2 is the way to go. Or Pro if you want analogue input or AES3 source.

No need to buy brand new.

gvl

Major Contributor
No worries, we'll file it under the "practically speaking, RME hardware is only solution with auto sample rate switching"

Something like this might work:

USB-C technically can work either as host or device. There are various embedded PC platforms out there, if you look carefully you might be able to find a model that includes necessary hardware.

Music1969

Major Contributor
USB-C technically can work either as host or device. There are various embedded PC platforms out there, if you look carefully you might be able to find a model that includes necessary hardware.
I've been through all this with Jussi, after we did a long investigation.

RPi4 (USB-C) and UpBoard Gateway (micro B input) both have the auto rate switching 'working' - in the sense that yes, HQPlayer's input rate changes with your track.

However we can't find the issue of why there is white noise. We investigated for months.

The conclusion is RME hardware is the reliable option for now.

You don't have to use ADI-2 - there is the RME HDSPe AIO board that works but only on Windows.

ADI-2 works doesn't require Windows or Mac - works with HQPlayer Embedded and NAA OS also.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Funnily i was the first person to find the ADI-2 DAC works for HQP input.

Jussi only has the Pro models so one day I throught I'd try it.

Yes RME make some cheaper interfaces but no they don't work.

Only the ADI-2 family, which all share common USB interface and FPGA code.

gvl

Major Contributor
If you also use RME as your DAC in this setup its USB input is likely clocked by SPDIF, so overruns/underruns due to clock differences are avoided. It’s probably documented somewhere in RME manuals but I’m lazy to look.

Music1969

Major Contributor
If you also use RME as your DAC in this setup its USB input is likely clocked by SPDIF, so overruns/underruns due to clock differences are avoided. It’s probably documented somewhere in RME manuals but I’m lazy to look.
It is not possible to use HQP input and HQP output with the same ADI-2 anyway

So clocking isn't an issue to worry about

Have had long discussions with Jussi long time ago after I made the discovery I didn't need to get a Pro model :)

That's why I said in earlier post, its best to find a used/2nd hand ADI-2 for this use.

PHD

HQP cannot and does not improve anything! It's a software intended for the audiophile believers so they redeem themselves and feel better for committing the sin of using digital music, even if they already have an audiophile-grade linear PSU inside the PC...

gvl

Major Contributor
It is not possible to use HQP input and HQP output with the same ADI-2 anyway
I don’t think it’s true check the manual USB can run in full duplex, however using SPDIF clock only works if the same sampling rate as input is sent to the DAC, so on a second thought it doesn’t really help the HQP case.

Clocking is an issue, but likely is masked by large buffers in HQP.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Clocking is an issue, but likely is masked by large buffers in HQP.
No, as long as you have bit perfect transfer, any "jitter" from the SPDIF source is completely irrelevant for the ADI-2

The only relevant jitter is at the point of D to A (and A to D , for that application)

That's a quote from RME's @MC_RME

I've tested and have bit perfect transfer , so clocking is a non issue.

Measuring my DAC for jitter at its analogue output using Cosmos ADC, there is no jitter to worry about, with any of its sources:

Last edited:
Top Bottom