• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to Run Two Separate Amps at Once Inexpensively

Middle Earth

I want to run two of my amps at once. I have a 2.1 amp but want to run a V3 and a sub/mono amp for the passive 15 inch subwoofer I am building
I get that there are integrated amps, and 2.1s, and subwoofer plate amps which could do it.
I dislike the plate amps.
I have a 2.1 amp
I don’t fancy the integrated amps.
i like separates
There is a really cool, but expensive for me, pre-amp that will run two amps at once.
Is there a solution that is not expensive ?
Any thoughts/solutions would be appreciated.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
You can use Y-Splitters to send the signal to two amps.*

But, you should have a crossover to separate the bass and send it to the subwoofer. All audio video receivers have a crossover ("bass management"). A low-pass filter is common on plate amplifiers and some plate amps have a full-crossover with high-passed line-level "pass through".

Or you can buy an active crossover.

I have a 2.1 amp
If you want to continue using that amp for your main speakers you can get a speaker-to-line-level attenuator.

* It's OK to connect two (or more) inputs together but you should NEVER "short" two outputs together. If you want to mix audio signals you need a mixer.

staticV3

Master Contributor
You can just plug both of your Amps into your analog source using RCA splitters:
511f3ac236dded2b2a7e5e2772106ead.jpeg

Though ideally, you would use something like a miniDSP 2x4HD to properly cross over the sub and your mains.

OP
Middle Earth

Middle Earth

Thank You @eddantes and @staticV3 and @DVDdoug for your responses.
The minidsp 2x4 looks like a good solution and I was looking at the minis for other reasons.
Would I have to use the software with that or is it plug and play ?
That would be a simple solution for my enhanced V3 and a FosI sub-woofer amp to run my bookshelves and the 15” passive sub-woofer I am building.
Would there be a problem with that much juice running into the two inputs?
How much juice comes out ?

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You connect the 2x4 to your PC with a USB cable. Run the software. Set up your programming. Write it to the 2x4. Then use the 2x4 as you would any audio device.

1700582788105.png

It really isn't very hard. You will figure everything out in a day. Lots of help online.

OP
Middle Earth

Middle Earth

You connect the 2x4 to your PC with a USB cable. Run the software. Set up your programming. Write it to the 2x4. Then use the 2x4 as you would any audio device.

View attachment 328280

It really isn't very hard. You will figure everything out in a day. Lots of help online.
Probably way harder for me but I could suck it up.
Could I not just run my V3 in alone and do that and stop with my two separate amp “idea” ?
Just run the V3 in and cross it over as I am not sure what the sub-amp is doing there other than adding power.
Thank You

eddantes

Your V3 will supply the power to your main speakers. You will need an amp to power your subwoofer (unless you jyst buy a normal commercial amp with a plate amp already built in). Either way you will want to send (generally speaking) 80Hz - 20KHz to your main speakers via V3, and 20Hz -80Hz to your subwoofer via plate amp (or some other amp). This is highly simplified but thats generally the idea; and the 2x4 is a great way to achieve that goal.

OP
Middle Earth

Middle Earth

Your V3 will supply the power to your main speakers. You will need an amp to power your subwoofer (unless you jyst buy a normal commercial amp with a plate amp already built in). Either way you will want to send (generally speaking) 80Hz - 20KHz to your main speakers via V3, and 20Hz -80Hz to your subwoofer via plate amp (or some other amp). This is highly simplified but thats generally the idea; and the 2x4 is a great way to achieve that goal.
This is exactly what I am looking for.
I hate plate amps or at least ones I could afford
The mini seems like a perfect solution just a bit more complicated than my plug level intellect.
Bless You

eddantes

You know... you could always simply start with Y splitters and use the plate amp xover... I do that. Easiest $15 solution. But - it will not high pass your mains so - not ideal - and you may as well learn to use a MiniDSP... Cause next... you'll be buying a UMIK microphone, measuring with REW, and adressing room modes :cool:

OP
Middle Earth

Middle Earth

You know... you could always simply start with Y splitters and use the plate amp xover... I do that. Easiest $15 solution. But - it will not high pass your mains so - not ideal - and you may as well learn to use a MiniDSP... Cause next... you'll be buying a UMIK microphone, measuring with REW, and adressing room modes :cool:
I was going in the later direction previously just to see if what I am creating is working on an electronic level setting aside my subjective opinion of it. Now I see it as an even better pice of kit for solving my amp problem. A two-for for me.
I would have to get a plate amp and I am not a fan of the plates that cost as much as that mini. So, once again, thank you.

Top Bottom