• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to make a 7.1.4 system work in a very small room?

Hello!

Lets say you have a budget of 5k and you want to build a 7.1.4 system in a 4x3m room for movie watching and gaming.

What would you choose and how would you set it up?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Are the walls and the ceiling made of brick or drywall?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'd buy two Monoprice M518HT sets, use eight of the ten satellites as surround and height speakers and sell the other two.
I'd give the two 8in subs a try and sell those as well if they're not good enough.

Since the satellites aren't very efficient, I'd buy a 3ch Hypex/Purifi Amp dedicated to LCR, so that the entire AVR power budget can be dedicated to surr/height.

I can't help with the AVR choice.

Once that is bought and the satellites sold, I'd choose LCR and subs based on the remaining budget.

Andysu

Major Contributor
what type heating system is used in the home as that changes velocity of sound

OP
G
That’s the level of detail I appreciate!

There is one warm water heating unit on one small side of the room!

The goal is to create a convincing soundstage with good imaging. Doesent have to be very loud.

staticV3

Master Contributor
what type heating system is used in the home as that changes velocity of sound
Is that poking fun at my earlier questing wrt wall material?

I asked that because if they were made of drywall, then I'd have used the opportunity to install in-wall/in-ceiling to not make the small room appear even smaller.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't you already buy some Polk speakers to hang on the wall?

OP
G
yes two heavily discounted center channels with intend to use them vertically as FR and FL. However I have a 30 day return period where I can learn more and maybe go for a different solution :)

Top Bottom