• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

is sound staging capability even important in a multi channel setup?

Hello,

lets say you have a 11 channel surround set up in a 7.1.4 configuration for example and you want a strong immersive performance by having a enveloping soundstage with precise and detailed directional sound cues in movies and games. would it even be beneficial if a speaker is good at creating a convincing soundstage and is good at imaging?
or do you rather create the soundstage and imaging through the multichannel signal processing and the only job of the speaker in this regard is to accurately transport the audio to you with fitting dispersion angles and even directivity?

Andysu

Major Contributor
not sure show pictures video of you're room

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

lets say you have a 11 channel surround set up in a 7.1.4 configuration for example and you want a strong immersive performance by having a enveloping soundstage with precise and detailed directional sound cues in movies and games. would it even be beneficial if a speaker is good at creating a convincing soundstage and is good at imaging?
or do you rather create the soundstage and imaging through the multichannel signal processing and the only job of the speaker in this regard is to accurately transport the audio to you with fitting dispersion angles and even directivity?
The speaker matters because the multichannel processor typically just sends whatever is in the recording to the speaker. It won't really enhance or create a soundstage that isn't in the recording, although there are exceptions to this.

So, you want a speaker with good frequency response and dispersion characteristics no matter what, these must be fairly even to create a realistic illusion of space / stage even in a multichannel situation.

I would say you can probably prioritize on-axis frequency response more and even dispersion a little less for multichannel, but only a little.

OP
G
i have a 4x3m meter room where i have 2m to each sides to mlp, 2m to front and 1m to back.

what would be a good dispersion charackterisic? i would only care for the one mlp spot

Top Bottom