• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trying to understand how to setup my system.. yet to purchase.

hifi72

I'm about to pull the trigger on some equipment but I would like a little guidance. Does this purchase seem like a reasonable route?

Speakers: Revel M16 or Monitor Audio Silver 50. priced similarly.
Subwoofer: generic Energy 10" will buy something better if eq doesn't help this one.
Preamp/dac: Minidsp flex
Amp: Fosi audio V3

sources:
- rp3b running LMS to a SMSL SU8
- rega P6 to a Rockwell phono pre

or I get a Yamaha R-N800A with YPAO and streaming for the Revels.

Looking of the best quality sound without over spending in a small to average room, 1386 cubic ft. I think I should be able to connect my phono and DAC to the minidsp, and then out to the amp and sub? or will I need to forego the SMSL and use the onboard in the DSP for my pi3 setup? If that is how it will work.

Thanks

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I'm about to pull the trigger on some equipment but I would like a little guidance. Does this purchase seem like a reasonable route?

Speakers: Revel M16 or Monitor Audio Silver 50. priced similarly.
Subwoofer: generic Energy 10" will buy something better if eq doesn't help this one.
Preamp/dac: Minidsp flex
Amp: Fosi audio V3

sources:

or I get a Yamaha R-N800A with YPAO and streaming for the Revels.

Looking of the best quality sound without over spending in a small to average room, 1386 cubic ft. I think I should be able to connect my phono and DAC to the minidsp, and then out to the amp and sub? or will I need to forego the SMSL and use the onboard in the DSP for my pi3 setup? If that is how it will work.

Thanks
Revel anytime over Monitor Audio.

Rest (Flex and Fosi) is great.

For sub, usually SVS gives good bang for the buck.

OP
H

hifi72

Thanks
Are you considering other speakers or just those 2?

Are you in USA?
I’m looking into others potentially, like Sonus Faber, Martin Logan as these are within the budget and local as well, so I can listen before I buy. Or I go for tower speakers, without buying a new sub, like the revel f35 etc) I’m in Canada.

Mostly looking at ones that don’t roll off the treble too soon (Linton) with wide dispersion is what I’m after. A balanced bass I hope to help with a sub from 80hz-100hz down. As towers haven’t sounded as enjoyable as bookshelves and a sub. To me in my room, anyhow.

OP
H

hifi72

Revel anytime over Monitor Audio.

Rest (Flex and Fosi) is great.

For sub, usually SVS gives good bang for the buck.
Thanks, I’d rather put the money into speakers and some decent eq. The amplifier just has to be adequate without buzzing etc.

I was thinking SVS or a little Rel might work for a subwoofer.

OP
H

hifi72

Looks like the $495 USD Flex will be at least $825 CAD if not more add on fees once it arrives. Ouch. $40 USD Fedex/DHL. Maybe that's normal to get these here. Thankfully the Fosi Audio V3 is only $99. Just under $1000 but still over 3x less than my last integrated, so that's better in context.

OP
H

hifi72

To update: speakers and the umik mic are purchased. I liked the sound and the look of the Silver 300 7G's a bit better so I went with MA. Also going with a tower will relieve my concern of children toppling over a heavy stand mount speaker and hurting themselves, at least not as easily..

I am curious if the Fosi V3 would have enough power to drive these? I think MA recommend 80-200watts(?).

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
sources:
You don't need the SMSL SU8 - both sources can go direct to the Flex. In fact you only have one analogue input to the flex, so you can't use the SU8 into the flex at the same time as your phono pre.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To update: speakers and the umik mic are purchased. I liked the sound and the look of the Silver 300 7G's a bit better so I went with MA. Also going with a tower will relieve my concern of children toppling over a heavy stand mount speaker and hurting themselves, at least not as easily..

I am curious if the Fosi V3 would have enough power to drive these? I think MA recommend 80-200watts(?).
I understand preferring the aesthetics of the Monitor Audio speakers... Objectively they do not perform as well as many others that are favorites here, but personal preference is a legitimate reason to pick a speaker. If you like their looks and sound then they are a good choice.

Unfortunately the Monitor Audio speakers have fairly low sensitivity so I would get a much larger amp than the Fosi. I would definitely get the largest amp I could afford.

OP
H

hifi72

I
You don't need the SMSL SU8 - both sources can go direct to the Flex. In fact you only have one analogue input to the flex, so you can't use the SU8 into the flex at the same time as your phono pre.
You make a good point. I would likely only run the phono into the analog as the flex has a dac built within. I was a little concerned about the multiple conversions from analog to digital to analog again with LP playback, but I'm not sure if I'd notice given the medium and uneq'd peaks and nulls that would be present otherwise.

OP
H

hifi72

I understand preferring the aesthetics of the Monitor Audio speakers... Objectively they do not perform as well as many others that are favorites here, but personal preference is a legitimate reason to pick a speaker. If you like their looks and sound then they are a good choice.

Unfortunately the Monitor Audio speakers have fairly low sensitivity so I would get a much larger amp than the Fosi. I would definitely get the largest amp I could afford.
Thanks, there were a few factors that pushed me in that direction. I liked them as they were without expectation that more use would change the sound. I did have them in my room and they did seem to run well on my older HK 50watt/ch AVR. ( Listed as 50W anyhow in stereo mode.) My room isn't large so it was loud enough with enough clarity and bass presence for my needs until I hit the peaks in the 40hz region and then the need for eq shows up. It's vintage predates the auto room eq, requiring me to look for something as an amp to the flex, or I would be ok with it. I'll keep an eye out for some decent deals on a more appropriately powered amp.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I

You make a good point. I would likely only run the phono into the analog as the flex has a dac built within. I was a little concerned about the multiple conversions from analog to digital to analog again with LP playback, but I'm not sure if I'd notice given the medium and uneq'd peaks and nulls that would be present otherwise.
The AD/DA conversion is transparent to the quality of vinyl playback. The benefit of DSP (room EQ) far outweighs it.

Top Bottom