• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to connect my hard drive to DAC

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe it does. AFAIK, the only way around this would be to sideload UAPP and bypass the Android audio system.

Not that resampling automatically makes it audibly worse of course.

OP
M

Murrfk

Note to self (and future readers). Do not spend 4.5 hours transferring music onto a 128GB USB drive to hook to your RasbPi, and then find out the RasbPi cannot read the disk in the format it is in (vFAT).

OP
M

Murrfk

I have piaudiocore running squeezelite and LMS working on my RPi. I compared the output of two identical songs, and compared to my LG phone connected to the same amp (LG has a very good DAC) through the headphone output to RCA, the RPi is slightly clearer. I was actually a bit surprised at that, as I had come to appreciate how much that phone could do for audio.

Although it was just slightly better, this is a game of inches. Would further improvements in sound quality come with a Raspberry Pi 4, or using Volumio/Moode? I am thinking digital should be digital, but, as I stated, this is new to me. I can see why going RPi USB could have improvements over headphone to RCA, but can USB output be improved upon with different hardware or software?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Note to self (and future readers). Do not spend 4.5 hours transferring music onto a 128GB USB drive to hook to your RasbPi, and then find out the RasbPi cannot read the disk in the format it is in (vFAT).
That's odd - I don't think I've used a distro for the Pi that can't read vFAT. exFAT was a problem in the past, but most of them can read that now too. If you can verify the problem it's worth reporting as a bug if it hasn't been already.
Although it was just slightly better, this is a game of inches. Would further improvements in sound quality come with a Raspberry Pi 4, or using Volumio/Moode? I am thinking digital should be digital, but, as I stated, this is new to me. I can see why going RPi USB could have improvements over headphone to RCA, but can USB output be improved upon with different hardware or software?
If you're DAC is well engineered then changing to a Pi 4 or changing the distro won't make a difference to the output, at least with a couple of qualifications. First is the potential pop/click issue with USB audio on Pi models earlier than the 4, usually incorrectly blamed on sharing the USB with the network adapter. See the bug report for the gory details. The chance of suffering from this depends on the software among other things, so you may be ok with one distro but not another. Second is that some distros include, or can use as a plugin, DSP for room EQ and/or speaker/headphone correction. This can make a significant difference to the sound, as you will see if you read many of the headphone and speaker reviews here. This is a relatively new and fast moving development, so expect significant improvements in ease of use, and appearance in more distros. The current stable Moode release includes CamillaDSP for this. For the current Volumio release there's a brutefir plugin that's a little complicated to install, while a CamillaDSP based one is in development for the upcoming Volumio3 release with some ease of use improvements like point-and-click headphone correction profiles from autoEQ. I'd encourage you to get a few uSD cards and try the different options to see which you prefer.

OP
M

Murrfk

Second is that some distros include, or can use as a plugin, DSP for room EQ and/or speaker/headphone correction. This can make a significant difference to the sound, as you will see if you read many of the headphone and speaker reviews here. This is a relatively new and fast moving development, so expect significant improvements in ease of use, and appearance in more distros. The current stable Moode release includes CamillaDSP for this. For the current Volumio release there's a brutefir plugin that's a little complicated to install, while a CamillaDSP based one is in development for the upcoming Volumio3 release with some ease of use improvements like point-and-click headphone correction profiles from autoEQ. I'd encourage you to get a few uSD cards and try the different options to see which you prefer.

Thanks SBE. That was particularly useful information. I will try Moode for now. It certainly is a much larger file than picoreaudio!

Is there a thread where I can follow the development of the improved CamillaDSP for Voumio?

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use BruteFIR with Volumio + LMS but the install was bit of a hassle indeed. I 'broke' it twice and had to start all over again. Has been working great since, though. I use REW + rePhase to create the convolution files. Looking forward to trying out CamillaDSP.

OP
M

Murrfk

Well, I tried Moode and found the instructions were very hard to follow. I could play a radio station, but could not get it to recognize the 128GB usb stick with my music files. Apparently, there is supposed to be some menu with USB, but I could not get it to show up. The only setting for music sources were Server and Advanced.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I tried Moode and found the instructions were very hard to follow. I could play a radio station, but could not get it to recognize the 128GB usb stick with my music files. Apparently, there is supposed to be some menu with USB, but I could not get it to show up. The only setting for music sources were Server and Advanced.

You may need to restart Moode first if you just got it up and running for the first time. I've noticed sometimes it doesn't do a proper library scan and update at first launch.

4. ADD SOURCE(S) CONTAINING MUSIC FILES
- USB STORAGE DEVICES
a) Insert USB storage device
b) Menu, (uppercase "M" in top right corner, click on it).
c) Choose "Update library" from the drop down.
d) Wait for completion (you should see a spinner run for a bit and then stop) If you don't see a spinner you may need to restart Moode.
e)wait longer. With 128gb it may take a while to scan it all. even if the spinner stops. It's building a database of your music files. So wait a bit longer.

Last edited:
OP
M

Murrfk

I managed to get it to work. Had to set the usb drive ad a server, but I lost LMS with Moode. It had squeezelite but said for it to work, I needed LMS running on the network. With PiCoreAudio, they both run from one distro.

Nomad

I don't know whether it has been mentioned, but from what I recall all versions before the raspberry pi 3b have the LAN and USB connected to the same bridge which could result in some interference and thus noise in your USB output.

I would recommend searching for a valid source for this (I'm not able to do so now, sorry).

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I managed to get it to work. Had to set the usb drive ad a server, but I lost LMS with Moode. It had squeezelite but said for it to work, I needed LMS running on the network. With PiCoreAudio, they both run from one distro.
I haven't tried installing LMS with Moode, but here's a guide if you want to give it a go.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I don't know whether it has been mentioned, but from what I recall all versions before the raspberry pi 3b have the LAN and USB connected to the same bridge which could result in some interference and thus noise in your USB output.

I would recommend searching for a valid source for this (I'm not able to do so now, sorry).
First is the potential pop/click issue with USB audio on Pi models earlier than the 4, usually incorrectly blamed on sharing the USB with the network adapter. See the bug report for the gory details. The chance of suffering from this depends on the software among other things, so you may be ok with one distro but not another.
Note that the bug report has been closed recently as WONTFIX. BruteFIR is a reliable trigger of the issue for me on the Pi 3B unless you pin its process to a single cpu core.

OP
M

Murrfk

I haven't tried installing LMS with Moode, but here's a guide if you want to give it a go.

While I am likely able to figure out to do this,, and have used SSH before, many years ago, often instructions are not noob friendly. Statements like "SSH into Moode" are not something many would understand. I do appreciate the link and will probably try this, just to see so thanks for the link!

Compared to Picoreplayer in Picoreaudio (I keep reading that as Pico Replayer) Moode seems complicated and requires a lot more work to get it to run. It is not used friendly, and you have to set what is a USB source as a smb share to get it to see the music on the disk. It takes WAY longer to scan the disks for that music. It requires the addition of LMS to use apps like squeezer.

So given this, what is it about Moode that makes it appealing? I ask this question genuinely, as it is very popular, so I am missing something.

EDIT Nomad:. I did find some reference to the USB/Lan noise , although some say it is a power supply issue. I don't hear noise on my setup, but it is worth investigating. Here is one of many threads discussing this:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/raspberry-pi-usb-noisy.19137/

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Compared to Picoreplayer in Picoreaudio (I keep reading that as Pico Replayer) Moode seems complicated and requires a lot more work to get it to run. It is not used friendly, and you have to set what is a USB source as a smb share to get it to see the music on the disk. It takes WAY longer to scan the disks for that music. It requires the addition of LMS to use apps like squeezer.
The name comes from its TinyCoreLinux base which also makes it a bit strange if you're used to a conventional linux. I don't remember Moode being that difficult to add a USB source to, but it's not my cup of tea and the docs aren't the best. It uses MPD which takes a different approach to LMS, and should work with apps like M.A.L.P. and MPDroid for day to day remote control if you don't want to use the web interface, like Squeezer does for LMS.
So given this, what is it about Moode that makes it appealing? I ask this question genuinely, as it is very popular, so I am missing something.
Each of the distros takes a different approach to the way they work and the way they present things, and have different feature sets. Which is 'best' is a matter of requirements, experience and personal preference that's not easy to predict, especially when it comes to tradeoffs like better EQ vs. worse day to day interface. Think Windows/Mac/KDE/Gnome, or iOS/Android. You seem to have come down on the LMS side like me. If you've got a spare PC or laptop you could give daphile a go - it's LMS, squeezelite and brutefir bundled up as an appliance for PC hardware. For testing you can boot it direct from a USB stick. This thread has more info. If you like it you can run it on a cheap used thin client - fanless and cheaper than a Pi. Or wait for the EQ options for LMS plugins or piCorePlayer packages to get easier to install and use as mentioned in another thread.

OP
M

Murrfk

OP
M

Murrfk

So I learned something else, that another noob might find useful. I took all the connections from my rasbPi2b, including the SD card, and plugged it in to the Rasp Pi 4b. It almost worked, but would not recognize the usb drive music folder. I eventually had to reformat a micro SD card with information and start fresh, setting up everything from scratch, and that worked. I guess some settings like usb3 get configured during installation and can't just be plugged and played? Anyways, working now.

Top Bottom