• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to connect an extra speaker to TV that has a soundbar

theonline3333

My parents have just a soundbar with their tv and it is hard for one of them to hear the tv from their seat but the other one hears it fine. One solution was headphones but I want to get them something that lets them not have to wear headphones. They do not want to do surround sound.

Is there a way to hook up an extra speaker to the tv or soundbar and sit it near the person that cannot hear the tv as well and have it by synced with the rest of the audio(no lag)? Could I plug a speaker into the headphones port on the tv with a long cord to where they sit? Would it have to be a special kind of speaker to do that?

Thanks!

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It depends on the TV. Some will allow multiple outputs to be active at the same time: others only one at a time. The latter case would make it hard to do what you want.

What model TV and soundbar? How is the soundbar connected to TV?

OP
T

theonline3333

It depends on the TV. Some will allow multiple outputs to be active at the same time: others only one at a time. The latter case would make it hard to do what you want.

What model TV and soundbar? How is the soundbar connected to TV?
Thanks. I do not live there and am not sure what the exact model is but I know it is a big screen samsung 4k smart tv bought in the last couple years. I think it is connected to the tv with optical but not sure to be honest. I think it is a vizio soundbar if that helps. I do know that they are able to use wireless headphones while also having sound come from the soundbar. I am just trying to replace the headphones with a speaker for their comfort.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks. I do not live there and am not sure what the exact model is but I know it is a big screen samsung 4k smart tv bought in the last couple years. I think it is connected to the tv with optical but not sure to be honest. I think it is a vizio soundbar if that helps. I do know that they are able to use wireless headphones while also having sound come from the soundbar. I am just trying to replace the headphones with a speaker for their comfort.
In that case they should be able to use a bluetooth speaker instead of the headphones, while the soundbar is playing. It depends on the Bluetooth implementation whether the lag will be noticeable or not.

AlfaNovember

Although I don't have personal experience w/ any of the products, I'd point out that there are soundbar products which claim features for listeners who no longer have ears of a 14 year old:

OP
T

theonline3333

In that case they should be able to use a bluetooth speaker instead of the headphones, while the soundbar is playing. It depends on the Bluetooth implementation whether the lag will be noticeable or not.

Thanks. Then it sounds like I could order an active speaker to plug into the headphones jack or a pair since I do not really see them sold as singles. They tried a standalone bluetooth speaker but it had too much lag. Maybe a more expensive one would work better though we may just try plugging one(or two if I cannot find a single one) in instead of wireless to try to help with the lag.
Although I don't have personal experience w/ any of the products, I'd point out that there are soundbar products which claim features for listeners who no longer have ears of a 14 year old:

Thanks. The issue here is one of them can hear the tv fine the other cannot hear it as well. To help with that they sometimes wear headphones but I am trying to replace the headphones they use now with a speaker for comfort.

I am hoping something like the one or two active speakers in the headphone jacks works but if not I may just buy them a Denon 5.1 Denon 4k AVR but then I am not sure the surrounds would actually help in this situation as its the front LCR that they are having trouble hearing.

Last edited:

Graham849

Forum Donor
Thanks. Then it sounds like I could order an active speaker to plug into the headphones jack or a pair since I do not really see them sold as singles. They tried a standalone bluetooth speaker but it had too much lag. Maybe a more expensive one would work better though we may just try plugging one(or two if I cannot find a single one) in instead of wireless to try to help with the lag.

Thanks. The issue here is one of them can hear the tv fine the other cannot hear it as well. To help with that they sometimes wear headphones but I am trying to replace the headphones they use now with a speaker for comfort.

I am hoping something like the one or two active speakers in the headphone jacks works but if not I may just buy them a Denon 5.1 Denon 4k AVR but then I am not sure the surrounds would actually help in this situation as its the front LCR that they are having trouble hearing.
All surround stereo setting then?

OP
T

theonline3333

I think I am going to try plugging a powered/active speaker into the headphone jack and see how that goes echo wise before upgrading everything with an avr and new speakers. They are happy with everything now but I just want to make it to where one of them does not have to wear headphones to hear the tv. I found these low latency BT transmitters and receivers on Amazon but I worry about echo with the soundbar on at the same time as the extra speaker.

Top Bottom