• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How To Become an Audiophile

OP
tilda

tilda

Thanks! To everyone... even the suspicious ones XD I'm kidding :)
Now I'm throwing myself into research and if I have any doubts about a device - I'll write to you! :)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
A cliché is a cliché is a cliché. Is anybody composed of what they love or do? :D I doubt that.
I'm not a burlesque performer. That I can tell you with absolute certainty.

Propheticus

Well, that's awkward. Years of internet message boards/fora have conditioned me to be suspicious of new profiles with 'stolen' model avatars and broadcasting they are a woman in their first post. It felt like baiting. Most women I know don't say this in post #1 on a public board to prevent unwanted attention.
My apologies.
(I retain the right to a 'I told you so' when tilda starts spamming/trolling :p)

p.s. I like both dogs and cats, only have one of the latter.

OP
tilda

tilda

Well, that's awkward. Years of internet message boards/fora have conditioned me to be suspicious of new profiles with 'stolen' model avatars and broadcasting they are a woman in their first post. It felt like baiting. Most women I know don't say this in post #1 on a public board to prevent unwanted attention.
My apologies.
(I retain the right to a 'I told you so' when tilda starts spamming/trolling :p)

p.s. I like both dogs and cats, only have one of the latter.
Everything is ok. It's not a topic, but how did you know Ivana Korab? :)

Katji

Major Contributor
Most women I know don't say this in post #1 on a public board to prevent unwanted attention.
That's what I was getting at.
And of course it varies per forum/demographic. Back in the day on Fb, most females I knew said they'd been harrassed in PMs, always by males of one demographic/nationality. Including the women I knew "in real life".

JSmith

Master Contributor
they'd been harrassed in PMs
bge3q2h9j4k81.jpg

JSmith

Joaquin Dinero

Forum Donor
Hi Tilda,
One thing I would point out to a n00b is that this forum has a lot of real life engineer types who actually understand how gear works; what it can do, and more importantly, what it can't. (I am not one among them ) It's a terrible place to look for rationalizations about why you need to buy that newest cool toy and a great place to come when you need to remind yourself that you already have enough toys and you likely wouldn't notice any difference anyway

As others have said, I'd start with a basic dongle DAC and a pair of easy to drive headphones at a price you're comfortable with. Personally I could recommend AKG K371 as a legit "audiophile" quality set that are widely available for less $$ than your iPhone. I use mine regularly with an LG G7.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @tilda

Let's assume you're serious:

Headphones or Speakers
Will you be listening from your desk?
Or in a room?
In which case: Can you share with us , your listening place/room dimensions?
Your budget? In USD or Euros?
Do you stream your music?

We take it from there.

Peace.

Kijanki

The question was how to become an audiophile and not how to assemble one good audio system.
In order to become an "audiophile" you need to develop two syndromes: GS and GAS
GS is Gardener's Syndrome - a constant need of repotting and trimming
GAS is Gear Acquire Syndrome - a constant need to buy new gear

raif71

Major Contributor
Avatars, who cares... pic of Ivana Korab or a geisha girl :)... anything goes, welcome to ASR tilda. As of "audiophile" terminology it is my understanding most people here do not wish to called as such, however I don't mind and don't really understand the fuss as I like audio, music etc. Audiophile and proud :p

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
OP meant how to get a better understanding, learn what's what, to be able to make better choices.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Audiophile

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An audiophile is a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction.[1] An audiophile seeks to reproduce the sound of a live musical performance, typically in a room with good acoustics. It is widely agreed that reaching this goal is very difficult and that even the best-regarded recording and playback systems rarely, if ever, achieve it.[2][3]

An audiophile is simply someone who likes to listen to music in high quality in a way that pleases him/her.
Becoming an audiophile is not that difficult when you care about music (reproduction) and this does not have to cost an arm and a leg.
You just have to care about sound quality to be an audiophile.

Plenty of people can enjoy music without the need for highest quality sound. That isn't a problem though and enjoying music is in the end what it is all about. This you can do without spending loads of money. Audiophiles usually have to spend quite a bit more. Audiophools spend insane amounts and rarely are satisfied and hunger for the next best thing that promises even better sound.

What one thus has to be wary off is not becoming an audiophool in the process. Believing in cables, snake-oil and special (expensive) gear is where it all goes pear shaped.

We cannot tell you what sound you (should) prefer/like and that may well not be 'accurate' and 'technically close to perfection'.
I would recommend you visit some hifi shops and listen to some speakers/headphones with music you like to play before spending money.
Just to get a feel of what you prefer. Then set a budget and take it from there while stating what you would like.

Last edited:

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The question was how to become an audiophile and not how to assemble one good audio system.
In order to become an "audiophile" you need to develop two syndromes: GS and GAS
GS is Gardener's Syndrome - a constant need of repotting and trimming
GAS is Gear Acquire Syndrome - a constant need to buy new gear
Chance the Gardener strikes in the most unlikeliest of places.

Soandso

GD Fan, - Chance said "I like to watch" while Being There.

raif71

Major Contributor

Audiophile

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An audiophile is a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction.[1] An audiophile seeks to reproduce the sound of a live musical performance, typically in a room with good acoustics. It is widely agreed that reaching this goal is very difficult and that even the best-regarded recording and playback systems rarely, if ever, achieve it.[2][3]

An audiophile is simply someone who likes to listen to music in high quality in a way that pleases him/her.
Becoming an audiophile is not that difficult when you care about music (reproduction) and this does not have to cost an arm and a leg.
You just have to care about sound quality to be an audiophile.

Plenty of people can enjoy music without the need for highest quality sound. That isn't a problem though and enjoying music is in the end what it is all about. This you can do without spending loads of money. Audiophiles usually have to spend quite a bit more. Audiophools spend insane amounts and rarely are satisfied and hunger for the next best thing that promises even better sound.

What one thus has to be wary off is not becoming an audiophool in the process. Believing in cables, snake-oil and special (expensive) gear is where it all goes pear shaped.

We cannot tell you what sound you (should) prefer/like and that may well not be 'accurate' and 'technically close to perfection'.
I would recommend you visit some hifi shops and listen to some speakers/headphones with music you like to play before spending money.
Just to get a feel of what you prefer. Then set a budget and take it from there while stating what you would like.
That is a very nice term for audiophile and nothing wrong with it imho and also nothing in the term is saying one has to believe in snake oil and spend huge amount of money. Can we then say people in ASR are generally audiophiles?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Avatars, who cares... pic of Ivana Korab or a geisha girl :)... anything goes, welcome to ASR tilda. As of "audiophile" terminology it is my understanding most people here do not wish to called as such, however I don't mind and don't really understand the fuss as I like audio, music etc. Audiophile and proud :p
Many people on here have avatars of people they are not.

I, on the other hand, do not. I am genuinely an owl. With weirdly advanced typing skills. :cool:

Welcome to ASR tilda

Top Bottom