• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with getting the right audio interface

bennyblanco916

Before I begin, let me just point out that i am aware of the many forums on this topic but, none I have found yet actually help. Although I love home audio, my heart is with Car Audio, the SQ side of it I should add. I have been accustomed to using only my laptop and a UMIK-1 mic to tune my system but, I want to learn more and advance in tuning. For me to get better, I need a Audio Interface. I had my eye on the M Track Solo due to its great price but not sure if it will work for what i need. So, my question is, can i use the M Track Solo or what would you suggest for a beginner on a budget? Thank you

chelgrian

Before I begin, let me just point out that i am aware of the many forums on this topic but, none I have found yet actually help. Although I love home audio, my heart is with Car Audio, the SQ side of it I should add. I have been accustomed to using only my laptop and a UMIK-1 mic to tune my system but, I want to learn more and advance in tuning. For me to get better, I need an Audio Interface. I had my eye on the M Track Solo due to its great price but not sure if it will work for what i need. So, my question is, can i use the M Track Solo or what would you suggest for a beginner on a budget? Thank you
Why do you need an audio interface?

A UMIK-1 connected via USB to REW or equivalent is as good as you will get without spending a lot of money on a much better measurement mic, a calibrator for it and expensive proprietary software software like Smaart.

Note if you do decide to buy an analogue attached measurement mic and an audio interface buy one with at least two outputs and two inputs. This is because there is an unknown input latency and much software relies upon outputting tones and measuring those tones via the mic and needs to know the latency.

Smaart for example recommends at least a two channel interface so that an output can be physically looped back to the second input so the software can measure the latency. They specifically have integration with the Audient Evo line.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You really should tell us what you think using an interface will gain you versus what you are doing already. I'm not sure it will gain anything. You will still need a laptop plus the interface plus a different measuring mic. I don't see where you will automatically advance in tuning.

Chelgrian has given some good advice. I too think two inputs might be good. One could go with a Motu M2 or Focusrite 2i2 or the Evo mentioned.

Top Bottom