• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How does the planar IEM experience compare to planar over-ear?

subframe

I’ve been interested in planar headphones for a while, but they’re generally outside my budget. Planar IEMs are somewhat more affordable, but I wonder if they provide a similar listening experience as over-ears. Do they provide a taste of what planar headphones can do, or are they really different things?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel they do; I really liked the 7Hz models. If the Euclid fit my ears better, I would consider selling my IER-Z1R's but I need that deep canal shape to get a good seal. All of these have measurement data available, so I won't waste your time with my impressions but FWIW I also have owned every DCA headphone (except expanse) plus the Arya original and Stealth magnet models so I'm pretty familiar with planars in general.

OP
S

subframe

I feel they do; I really liked the 7Hz models. If the Euclid fit my ears better, I would consider selling my IER-Z1R's but I need that deep canal shape to get a good seal. All of these have measurement data available, so I won't waste your time with my impressions but FWIW I also have owned every DCA headphone (except expanse) plus the Arya original and Stealth magnet models so I'm pretty familiar with planars in general.
Thanks. 7Hz Timeless has caught my eye. Good to know it could be worthwhile.

Ah, I haven't liked any Hifiman headphones I've heard. Perhaps these would be different, or perhaps EQ would make them palatable. Tempting to just try, at that price.

Top Bottom