• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do we use aptx

alaios

Hi all,
I have read that many integrated these days support aptx bluetooth. I understand that aptx is really good quality as it is lossless.
Still how do you use it? I guess you need a device that has the music and is supporting aptx. Do you have a phone for example that supports it?
Since I am having network streamer and subscription to tidal I do not see where aptx will fit into my life so I was curious on if you use it and how you use it.

Regards,
Alex

Saponetto

Hello, and no... aptX is not a lossless codec, and has a typical max. bitrate of 48kbps at 44.1 kHz.
If well implemented it sounds good and has a better behavior of typical SBC codecs.
Of course, you will need both TX and RX support aptX codec, otherwise the lesser is the ruler.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure in a home environment with WiFi why anyone would be using lossy Bluetooth but I'm sure some have their valid reasons.

Most modern android phones should support aptx. Not sure about Apple.

Certainly wouldnt start buying new kit just to be able to use BT in one's home.

Possibly friends coming round if you don't want them on your wifi and they want to sling music to your stereo. But then they still have to pair with your kit anyway.

totally42

You probably mean aptX HD / aptX Lossless. Yes, most new phones should support it now, because Qualcomm open sourced the format. Anything with Snapdragon or high end phone is going to have it for Android. Apple won't use open formats, only their own bullshit. The problem is you need the device to support it, and even Samsung wont put the good open formats on their headsets, requiring you to use their proprietary bullshit with Samsung phone. Everyone wants to lock everyone in, to sell accessories.

The new version of Bluetooth that supports true bit streaming should have solved all of this, but again, why support that, when they can make money?

Note: I've had an AptX Adaptive for my car, because it doesn't have bluetooth, and it works amazing.

Dumdum

You probably mean aptX HD / aptX Lossless. Yes, most new phones should support it now, because Qualcomm open sourced the format. Anything with Snapdragon or high end phone is going to have it for Android. Apple won't use open formats, only their own bullshit. The problem is you need the device to suppor it, and even Samsung wont put the good open formats on their headsets, requirings you to use their porperity bullshit with Samsung phone. Everyone wants to lock everyoe in, to sell accessories.

The new version of Bluteooth that supports true bit streaming should have solved all of this, but again, why support that, when they can make money?
When bt5.0 came out it could in theory support lossless cd quality… but most people don’t care and they prioritised distance of connection and reliability of said connection over pure quality…

Saponetto

You probably mean aptX HD / aptX Lossless. Yes, most new phones should support it now, because Qualcomm open sourced the format. Anything with Snapdragon or high end phone is going to have it for Android. Apple won't use open formats, only their own bullshit. The problem is you need the device to support it, and even Samsung wont put the good open formats on their headsets, requiring you to use their proprietary bullshit with Samsung phone. Everyone wants to lock everyone in, to sell accessories.

The new version of Bluetooth that supports true bit streaming should have solved all of this, but again, why support that, when they can make money?

Note: I've had an AptX Adaptive for my car, because it doesn't have bluetooth, and it works amazing.
Anyway lossy.

totally42

Anyway lossy.
True, it's not technically a losless format like Sony LDAC that can do 44.1 kHz, 16 bits losless. But, it's a HUGE but, AptX Adaptive can do 16/24 bit-depths at 44.1, 48, and 96 kHz. That basically means you can theoretically do more than twice CD sampling rate, which should be better than even the best FLAC?

Saponetto

LDAC also is not lossless, having its performance boundaries at 880 kbps at 96 KHz.
CD data flow is 1411 kbps, so still a little above LDAC performances that, have to say, are very very good. ;)

Top Bottom