• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 215 62.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 60 17.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 32 9.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 11.0%

• Total voters

plumpudding2

I'll wager that in 2074, there will still be a significant minority who will still believe that vinyl is better than digital.
Since the hair cells in your ear are binary (they either are triggered or they are not) and thus digital I think by 2074 we'll be able to stream digital audio directly into the auditory nerve, no more HRTF!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Even if that were the case the HRTF would matter even more.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
By 2074, we will likely have full synthesis of any music we like. You type what you want and the system will generate it for you. Then we won't have to worry about how something is "recorded." You would just as well be able to change the tonality just as easily. Using a recording will be just as quaint as black and white film to many people...
I think this will happen allot sooner that 2074 - even this is very impressive IMO

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess he meant: When you synthesize sound there is no mic involved. Plus it’s 2074 ;-)
Yeah, so like no recording involved, just created by AI or something! Makes me feel a bit sad though!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mmm I can think of dozens if not hundreds of articles related to HRTF capture, generation and application to binaural renderers, including for the latter research into preferences and accuracy / precision ? It's all the rage these days.

Most tech companies are already doing this to some degree, even if it may remain in embryonic form for now, Apple possibly being at the forefront. You may not necessarily need a perfectly accurate capture of the user's head anatomy to be able to generate an individualised HRTF profile that's good enough to be considered more convincing than a generic one. Among others Apple has a few patents claiming a number of methods to go from the sort of rough "point cloud" like data that you obtain with depth sensors, which will have numerous blind spots (ex : concha) to a more complete mesh of the user's head, before generating an individualised profile. But given the sort of digital avatars they're capable of creating now I am not even certain that the data they capture in the first place is going to remain particularly rough for long.
Well I sure hope it continues to develop and become more convincing & more accessible, all the better!

Rhamnetin

ROFLMAO The part about why they are disappointed at Truthear zero REDs has me dying:

Just for context, here is their impressions of RED from hearing them at canjam where they didn't know what price exactly its gonna be sold at. it starts at 6:52. Suggested watching with "Entry of the Gladiators" playing:

Truthear should rerelease one of their $50 IEMs some day exactly as is (perhaps a different color) for $500 or more just for the audiophools. It'll get universal praise then.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
ROFLMAO The part about why they are disappointed at Truthear zero REDs has me dying:

Just for context, here is their impressions of RED from hearing them at canjam where they didn't know what price exactly its gonna be sold at. it starts at 6:52. Suggested watching with "Entry of the Gladiators" playing:

with the decline of quality comedy shows, this channel gives me a good laugh everytime
Lol that's a good one.
It just shows that their words are just empty phrases.
Sad view of our industry

Chagall

Forum Donor

with the decline of quality comedy shows, this channel gives me a good laugh everytime

What we do in the shadows..of canjam. Classic show.

This just goes to show that listening to headphones in a setting with other stimuli can lead to all sorts of conclusions. None of those preliminary conclusions should be shared with their YT audience if they want to be consistent and taken seriously.

Mental note: don't comment before checking the facts.

Last edited:

TurtlePaul

This just goes to show that listening to headphones in a setting with other stimuli can lead to all sorts of conclusions. None of those preliminary conclusions should be shared with their YT audience if they want to be consistent and taken seriously.
It goes both ways. You have to admit that there is nothing analytical about listening impressions. We are also subject to biases and we hear whatever we want to hear. Human ears are nowhere near good enough and our brain fills in the rest.

I would believe there is sighted bias both ways. At the initial show they are clearly not in a controlled setting. They know this is a Crin colab so their are biased to like the sound. They are professional headphone reviewers who work for a company in headphone sales so once they hear the price they are biased to not like it (it may suggest hundreds of products they have recommended are basically a scam).

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the end of the day, Crin’s IEM barely has profit margin while Hifiman gets a boat load of margins. Of course they have to please whoever sponsors them the most and I’m 100% certain that S-Class headphone manufacturer provided probably 90% of their ad revenue

Chagall

Forum Donor
It goes both ways. You have to admit that there is nothing analytical about listening impressions. We are also subject to biases and we hear whatever we want to hear. Human ears are nowhere near good enough and our brain fills in the rest.

I would believe there is sighted bias both ways. At the initial show they are clearly not in a controlled setting. They know this is a Crin colab so their are biased to like the sound. They are professional headphone reviewers who work for a company in headphone sales so once they hear the price they are biased to not like it (it may suggest hundreds of products they have recommended are basically a scam).

Yes, I agree. But why then have that initial show when it could lead to problems down the road? I know a click is a click is a click - so the problem down do road isn't much of a problem.

TurtlePaul

Yes, I agree. But why then have that initial show when it could lead to problems down the road? I know a click is a click is a click - so the problem down do road isn't much of a problem.
Maybe it was them sharing their truthful impressions? I think that should not be problematic for an honest reviewer. The appreciation of audio can change with our moods and expectations.

Chagall

Forum Donor
Maybe it was them sharing their truthful impressions? I think that should not be problematic for an honest reviewer. The appreciation of audio can change with our moods and expectations.

OK, never mind - just watched the video. They were giving their impressions of the revisions of Crin's RED and not the finished product, they didn't know the final price, but they did knew the ballpark and stated that it is going to make a lot of stuff redundant. Finally, they do say at 10:47 the problem with show impressions (for other headphones but applies). So fair. That will teach me to comment before checking the facts.

Oso Polar

I'm having a hard time believing that any in-ear will be overall better than any over-ear that isn't completely broken. But this applies to me because I value spatial qualities and a bigger sound, not in-head sound.
You seem to assume that all IEMs sound "small" compared to over the ear full size headphones. This, however, is a very wrong assumption. For example, the very well known, popular and valued by many for its sound quality Sennheiser HD600 can't compete in this area at all - many IEMs will easily best it, including some (all?) of these multiple $20-$50 Zeroes.

Chagall

Forum Donor
You seem to assume that all IEMs sound "small" compared to over the ear full size headphones. This, however, is a very wrong assumption. For example, the very well known, popular and valued by many for its sound quality Sennheiser HD600 can't compete in this area at all - many IEMs will easily best it, including some (all?) of these multiple $20-$50 Zeroes.

See I don't get that, and while my assumption may not apply to you it does to me. I have IE 600 and HD 600.

VQR

At the end of the day, Crin’s IEM barely has profit margin while Hifiman gets a boat load of margins. Of course they have to please whoever sponsors them the most and I’m 100% certain that S-Class headphone manufacturer provided probably 90% of their ad revenue
Do we know the actual margins on those IEM's? I don't doubt the Hifiman would have larger margins given the price tag, to be clear.

Some people say that GS is still figuring out his ABX box to this very day.

Top Bottom