• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 215 62.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 60 17.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 32 9.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 11.0%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What has been demonstrated is that if you EQ a "good" headphone to "match" another, you get similar results with regards to the rating of the spectral balance. That is it.
That's not it. From the paper:

"Listeners were instructed to rate the headphones based on the overall perceived sound quality considering attributes related to timbre, spatial and distortion attributes."

Equalization easily changes spatial qualities of headphones for example.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh my,

The fact is that this place trashes the best headphones in the market just to make happy its audience that loves to hear their 100$ are better than those 6000$'s, puerile bimbos.
Just say 'is to F... expensive!'
I have given my highest praise to two $4,000 headphones. Dan Clark Stealth and Expanse. Heaven knows I rather deal with a positive review of an expense headphone than all the nonsense that the reverse brings like what I am responding to.

SlothRock

I have given my highest praise to two $4,000 headphones. Dan Clark Stealth and Expanse. Heaven knows I rather deal with a positive review of an expense headphone than all the nonsense that the reverse brings like what I am responding to.
I got the E3 coming tomorrow due to your review. Don't lead me astray, Amir!!

Rhamnetin

Amen.
Unfortunately many are confused.
If the music is boring or unengaging just change the freakin music!!!

No no no, clearly the solution is to buy a $6,000 headphone, $4,000 amplifier, $5,000 DAC, and $2,000 headphone cables!

Also the thing about "you people don't care about music"- I'm a musician (serious amateur, classical). There are few things I care more about than music. But then too I can get tremendous "emotion" and "envelopment" and what have you from a recording a great performer made 100 years ago in primitive sound. I think it's audiophoolery that actually has nothing to do with music.

Indeed, audiophoolery is the pursuit of overpriced equipment to show off. It's not about the music, it's about the gear.

Oh my,

The fact is that this place trashes the best headphones in the market just to make happy its audience, that loves to hear their 100$ are better than those 6000$'s, puerile bimbos.
Just say 'are too F... expensive!'

You were saying? Puerile bimbos? You might want to look in the mirror. Tell me what qualifies the Susvara as "the best headphone in the market?" Its price?

Chagall

Forum Donor
That's not it. From the paper:

"Listeners were instructed to rate the headphones based on the overall perceived sound quality considering attributes related to timbre, spatial and distortion attributes."

Equalization easily changes spatial qualities of headphones for example.

To an extent though. HD600 will never have the spatial qualities of HD800, am I wrong?

Sebby

Why should we trust your ears? If my ears are different than yours, what possible value is there to tell us what you hear??? Or anyone else saying anything about Susvara?

This reviewer who I post earlier said this at the start of his review:

"When I’ve received the mighty Hifiman Susvara, I felt overwhelmed by…disappointment. I said to myself: “This is really it? This is how the world’s best headphones are sounding?” As something was gravely missing its mark. Detail retrieval and a much higher transparency were in place, but as a transient response nut, I couldn’t feel my tunes speaking to me, I was almost maxed out on a Benchmark HPA4 and still, musical notes wouldn’t fly away and envelop my entire body. Engagement factor was nowhere to be found, all that remained was a thin, lifeless and boring sounding metallic carcass that sent my thoughts into the abyss."

You agree with his characterization in bold?
Yes. I tried it courtesy of the owner.
I prefer the tone of the HE400se even if it feels like it isn't as detailed and open. It is still a good compromise after saving €5900

ivanobe

Because maybe is what your Topping can drive, you are measuring the distortion of the amplifier all the times.
Please, go back to test just Dacs,

Tachyon88

The A90 isn't cold, hot or sterile. It's whatever the music is. It disappears completely in the chain as it sets out to do.
I've always wanted to put the a90 board and stuff it into various popular expensive amps and do a comparison with people and watch all the different opinions form around hearing the same amp out of different looking expensive amplifiers. lol

Flushing

Because maybe is what your Topping can drive, you are measuring the distortion of the amplifier all the times.
Please, go back to test just Dacs,
Just wondering what hpa you suggest to power the Susvara without distorting?

asrUser

My Topping was pretty lifeless. Got rid of it and joined the Schiit crew and am happy now. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Tachyon88

I really just don't understand how grown men can be so emotional over a piece of gear being measured. Why let it upset you ? To make it even worse what upsets them is based on straw-men fallacies and a willful ignorance over the very thing that they criticize and upsets them. Furthermore most don't even care about measurements to begin with ! lol I swear.....

Sebby

I really just don't understand how grown men can be so emotional over a piece of gear being measured. Why let it upset you ? To make it even worse what upsets them is based on straw-men fallacies and a willful ignorance over the very thing that they criticize and upsets them. Furthermore most don't even care about measurements to begin with ! lol I swear.....
Then I don't understand one thing: if a person buys Susvara and likes it, what changes after seeing the measurements?

SlothRock

What is hard to comprehend about it? Sure, if you don’t care about measurements then that is fine, but it’s like anyone telling you the thing you spent major $$ on is objectively horrible with no silver linings or subjective opinions being possible about it. You wasted the money, you’re stupid, etc etc it becomes a personal affront to what that individual just spent major cash on vs a more subjective “I personally thought they were boring” type of opinion.

Reactions: GDK
Top Bottom