• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Sundara Review (headphone)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use hiby player and I would need a 10-band equalization to make the sundara to the maximum to sweeten the sound.

Are you asking for an EQ profile for the Sundara or an EQ software solution for the iBasso?

0RF30

kindly link me the equalization for the sundara?

dx220 : 10 bands GEQ, right ?

Check @sweetchaos post just after the review page 1 of the thread, he translated Amir's Sundara EQ for 10 bands GEQ...

Preamp: -7.7db
32 7.2
64 1.0
125 -0.4
250 -0.2
500 -0.1
1000 -0.4
2000 2.5
4000 -0.5
8000 -2.0
16000 -0.1

For other popular Sundara EQ (oratory1990 etc.), you'll be short with 10 band GEQ.

[EDIT] Not very familiar with DAPs, but can't you install UAPP or Neutron on android ones ? You'll get competent PEQ with them.

Last edited:

Cirodx

dx220 : 10 bands GEQ, right ?

Check @sweetchaos post just after the review page 1 of the thread, he translated Amir's EQ for Sundara for 10 bands GEQ...

Preamp: -7.7db
32 7.2
64 1.0
125 -0.4
250 -0.2
500 -0.1
1000 -0.4
2000 2.5
4000 -0.5
8000 -2.0
16000 -0.1

For other popular Sundara EQ (oratory1990 etc.), you'll be short with 10 band GEQ.

[EDIT] Not very familiar with DAPs, but can't you install UAPP or Neutron on android ones ? You'll get competent PEQ with them.
thank you very much for 10 band EQ you posted, yes I have UAPP and where can I find the suitable PEQ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

0RF30

Make sure you pick the right version but either here : https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results

Or possibly better , here https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

For UAPP, you will need to pay a few $ for the 10 band PEQ add in but worth it

I prefer oratory1990's one, cause it's designed to be customizable to user's taste and/or kind of music you're playing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3fza1a4kmmy4vr/Hifiman Sundara (2020 revised earpads).pdf?dl=0

Cirodx

my doubt is simple, the PAEK filter entry is not in the PEQ UAPP which filter do I use instead of PEAK?

Ezees

I have had the sundara for about a year, if I listen to it directly from my DAP ibasso dx220 it sounds good enough, if I connect it to my topping A90 and dac gustard x16 the listening is tiring and not pleasant, maybe for the sundara you need an amp that goes good at low impedance?
HFM Sundara = neutral/bright,... x16 = neutral/neutral,... a90 = neutral/flat. Sounds like too much of an analytical SQ. Maybe not great synergy or system matching. Others will disagree but you may need some flavor in your chain, an amp with a little warmth or character maybe, like the dx220 but desktop. EQ may also help. I paired a neutral DAC with a class A discrete amp (punchy, not annoyingly bright or lifeless) for my Aryas. I sent back both the a90 and thx 887 bc of their flat-ish SQ with not very much depth and layering compared to my Gustard h20. I hear the h16 is a good amp that's not super bright and may sound better with the x16. Roast on folks...

Cirodx

HFM Sundara = neutral/bright,... x16 = neutral/neutral,... a90 = neutral/flat. Sounds like too much of an analytical SQ. Maybe not great synergy or system matching. Others will disagree but you may need some flavor in your chain, an amp with a little warmth or character maybe, like the dx220 but desktop. EQ may also help. I paired a neutral DAC with a class A discrete amp (punchy, not annoyingly bright or lifeless) for my Aryas. I sent back both the a90 and thx 887 bc of their flat-ish SQ with not very much depth and layering compared to my Gustard h20. I hear the h16 is a good amp that's not super bright and may sound better with the x16. Roast on folks...
in fact, i will try the equalization for sundara but i don't have too much confidence, honestly i'd better sell sundara and keep me a90, gustard and loxjie p20 because i think sundara is a really hard headphone to manage especially if i listen to thrasch metal.

Bernd

Forum Donor
kindly link me the equalization for the sundara?
Other members have replied already for PEQ settings, but here are my RME EQ Setting - in case anyone is interested:

B G F Q
1 +8 50 1
2 -2 190 0.5
3 -2.5 840 0.5
4 +3 2100 1.6
5 -4.5 6300 4.4

0RF30

in fact, i will try the equalization for sundara but i don't have too much confidence, honestly i'd better sell sundara and keep me a90, gustard and loxjie p20 because i think sundara is a really hard headphone to manage especially if i listen to thrasch metal.

Definitively not the best pick for metal, but it's a f... good headphone in this price range. Give it a try with oratory1990 PEQ, lowering band 7 few dB for this kind of music. If you manage to get rid of some harshness in high pitch guitars in metal, you'll get visceral drums kicks, shiny cymbals, and nice bodied bass guitar. It take some trial and error to get what you want from Sundara, but it's worth it.

[EDIT] If you don't keep Sundara and want planar for metal, maybe look at Fostex t60rp or Audeze LCD-2. You'll still need some EQ, especially with the LCD-2 (opposite problem of Sundara, but not really a problem for metal).
[EDIT 2] Be careful with t60rp, a bit picky for amplification, dx220 won't probably make it.

Last edited:

Cirodx

thanks, if i'm not wrong i solved ..... i put hiby player l autogain at -8, unbalanced cable, so the sundara seems to lose a lot of its harshness, tonight i will do some tests and update you.

Ezees

Certainly. Every HP does not fit every-one. Guess that's why we are blessed to have pretty much a plethora of choices with HPs, DACs, amps, etc... Hope you find your sweet spot, HP wise and chain wise. Happy listening.

RHO

Major Contributor

Oranges

Here's a weird one. My amp (Nait 5si) actually inverts the polarity when I use the headphone jack (i.e. the left and right headphone speakers flip from when coming out of the speakers). Should I A) do nothing, it doesn't matter if stereo recordings are flipped, B) switch my R and L headphone cords?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a weird one. My amp (Nait 5si) actually inverts the polarity when I use the headphone jack (i.e. the left and right headphone speakers flip from when coming out of the speakers). Should I A) do nothing, it doesn't matter if stereo recordings are flipped, B) switch my R and L headphone cords?
Personally I would have my speakers and headphones wired so both are the same. Are you sure you've wired the correct speaker to the back of the Naim?

Oranges

Personally I would have my speakers and headphones wired so both are the same. Are you sure you've wired the correct speaker to the back of the Naim?

Yes, but it flips from playing out of speakers to headphones, so it shouldn't matter. The question is, is there any issue sonically with swapping the L/R headphone cords so I can match. The inverted polarity on the Naim is a known thing (see 2nd to last paragraph here: https://www.stereophile.com/content/naim-audio-nait-5si-integrated-amplifier-measurements)

Top Bottom