• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE6se Review (Headphone)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got no information on internal specs. They could've put 10 minutes of effort into testing the 2nd unit properly, saved some money with that and had one more HE6se sale in their books. But they didn't, and the completely defective 3rd unit felt like a middle finger to my face.

I initially bought them because I moved and then sold my speaker system, because I didn't know if speakers would work at my new house.
After I got new speakers in to test, I realized noise leakage was a non issue and barely used the headphones anymore, but wanted to keep them to validate mixes on (studio work).
I don't know what I'll get as a replacement and when that will happen. I don't like the HD650 we have in the studio, compared to the HE6se, which sounded much more accurate and neutral. The HE6se was the closest in terms of detail and neutrality to my speaker setup(s) (both at home or in the studio).
I am not aware of any similar or better option than the discounted (700$) HE6se, so my next set is going to be either one of the extremes:
-cheap and good like HE400se (the headband is giving me a headache, but validating mixes doesn't take long. plus I can buy it locally and much easier deal with defective units)
-DCA Stealth
(I think I recommended you an EQ'd HD560s before, low distortion and low unit to unit variation in my experience, and good imaging/soundstage as the somewhat more magical variable)

peniku8

Forum Donor
(I think I recommended you an EQ'd HD560s before, low distortion and low unit to unit variation in my experience, and good imaging/soundstage as the somewhat more magical variable)
I'm sure the HD560s are great, but the issue is my listening preference. I EQ to the Harman target and then add a sub-bass boost (in form of a low shelf), which ends up at +10dB at ~25Hz. That leads to almost 20dB of boost at 20Hz, that the HD560s need to suit my tastes, which is unfortunate, considering its distortion at low frequencies. I bought the HE6se because of their strengths in that region.
Bass distortion is the worst, since at those frequencies, the audibility of the harmonics relative to the fundamental is the strongest, compared to any other frequency. In addition to that, music is not linear in spectrum, but more like pink noise, which means bass playback levels will be much louder than treble.
Considering theses issues, the HE400se has an estimated 15dB more clean headroom over the HD560s below 200Hz. The HE400se's distortion issues above that point only come out way past 100dB, which I will never reach at those frequencies.

peniku8

Forum Donor
@peniku8 What content do you listen that goes down to 20 Hz?
It's vital for me to have clean reproduction that extends as low as possible, so I can judge my work neutrally. For example, I sometimes use effects that generate subharmonics for bass guitar, a kick drum or other SFX/sound design elements (typically used in more progressive music genres), or generally content and effects that have extreme low end (bass drops!) that I'll have to tuck into place neatly. A part of mixing is making something too loud to hear what it does and then tucking it back into place. I don't want that to be accompanied by an onset of distortion, which I have no control over.
Other than for work, I'd be using the headphones for gaming and the occasional movie. Both regularly extend below 30Hz and sometimes as low as single-digit frequencies, when you're looking at something like War of the Worlds.
And maybe some music every now and then, but I typically have my speakers for that.

Here is a random example of music with content below 20Hz

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure the HD560s are great, but the issue is my listening preference. I EQ to the Harman target and then add a sub-bass boost (in form of a low shelf), which ends up at +10dB at ~25Hz. That leads to almost 20dB of boost at 20Hz, that the HD560s need to suit my tastes, which is unfortunate, considering its distortion at low frequencies. I bought the HE6se because of their strengths in that region.
Bass distortion is the worst, since at those frequencies, the audibility of the harmonics relative to the fundamental is the strongest, compared to any other frequency. In addition to that, music is not linear in spectrum, but more like pink noise, which means bass playback levels will be much louder than treble.
Considering theses issues, the HE400se has an estimated 15dB more clean headroom over the HD560s below 200Hz. The HE400se's distortion issues above that point only come out way past 100dB, which I will never reach at those frequencies.
I suppose if you're gonna boost bass around +10dB over Harman then you have to have the cleanest headphone in the bass! HD560s doesn't have any issues with Harman Bass at all, feels like my cleanest bass headphone or about on par with my HE4XX in the bass after EQ.....but +10dB over Harman then HD560s probably not the best for you!

peniku8

Forum Donor
I suppose if you're gonna boost bass around +10dB over Harman then you have to have the cleanest headphone in the bass! HD560s doesn't have any issues with Harman Bass at all, feels like my cleanest bass headphone or about on par with my HE4XX in the bass after EQ.....but +10dB over Harman then HD560s probably not the best for you!
How would you compare the HD560s to HD650?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How would you compare the HD560s to HD650?
I've got the HD600, but it's pretty much the same headphone as the HD650. The HD560s is a lot better in the bass after EQ vs the HD600, there's not much definition in HD600 boosted bass. HD560s has a better soundstage and imaging than the HD600. HD600 is a more accurate headphone than the HD560s if both are just gonna be used at stock....HD600 probably my best headphone when used at stock, but I always EQ, so I don't use the HD600 much! I therefore can't imagine the HD650 would be any good for you with the large bass boost you use.

peniku8

Forum Donor
I've got the HD600, but it's pretty much the same headphone as the HD650. The HD560s is a lot better in the bass after EQ vs the HD600, there's not much definition in HD600 boosted bass. HD560s has a better soundstage and imaging than the HD600. HD600 is a more accurate headphone than the HD560s if both are just gonna be used at stock....HD600 probably my best headphone when used at stock, but I always EQ, so I don't use the HD600 much! I therefore can't imagine the HD650 would be any good for you with the large bass boost you use.
I have the HD650 in the studio, which my colleague always uses. I don't like them and neither does he.
I tested the HD600 too and yes, they're very similar to the 650. Was just trying to get a reference as to where the 560s stand. They seem to be a great value option. I'll keep them in the back of my mind :)

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So far the working day is going according to my taste.
The grills are ready

20220610_112247.jpg

Bow_Wazoo

I have now also mounted the Sundara headband.
The price was worth it.
The comfort is higher.

20220620_224057.jpg

Bow_Wazoo

My preset for the he-6se v2
(Dekoni sheepskin pads) is finally ready.
So set, my enthusiasm for this headphone is almost limitless.

Screenshot_20220628-071327_Neutron Player.jpg

Screenshot_20220628-071349_Neutron Player.jpg

Adjust band 3 for bass, and band 8 for treble

This is totally crazy, you can also get one of the best HP for 700 dollars!

jacko

These are great when Harman equalized and using physically recorded binaural convolution presets like Hesuvi provides and probably with Impulcifer or Smyth Realizer. Having minimal distortion in practically any bass level and very low distortion throughout makes for a completely transparent headphone, basically removing "headphone sound" from the equation to its credit, but you have about a pound of magnets on your head, the large double-sided magnet array being the key to the control this headphone has under high power.

Now if someone could make a portable device that can do convolution in real-time it would become a practical solution to having a portable speaker experience with similar performing devices that don't require the level of power needed here. Working backwards from the problem of transferring speaker sound to headphones is possible now where it was never an option when free field/diffuse field targets were needed to simplify the problem due to lack of computational resources. Unfortunately companies are always on about some proprietary method or parts that will make them some money so it will probably be another DIY hack needed. Eventually we can leave headphone sound behind in the graveyard of history probably within 10 years.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For those in the UK this oddity popped on the Amazon Warehouse (so open box returns) section. No idea how an Adorama special edition V2 gets into Amazon's grubby mitts but its £580 and Amazon have a no quibble return in case its a dud... you pays your money, you takes your chance...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My preset for the he-6se v2
(Dekoni sheepskin pads) is finally ready.
So set, my enthusiasm for this headphone is almost limitless.

View attachment 215265

View attachment 215266
Adjust band 3 for bass, and band 8 for treble

This is totally crazy, you can also get one of the best HP for 700 dollars!
Just out of interest, why were you selling them?

Bow_Wazoo

I am insatiable, to the reinterpretation of the sound conversion, that each headphone brings.
This leads to the fact, that I buy new headphones every few weeks.
It actually has nothing to do with the fact,
that I do not like a HP.
I am simply curious, on another interpretation, not yet known to me.
I have also returned the Arya Stealth.
The HE-1000 V2 is already on the way.

I have already talked to my psychiatrist about it. Neither behavioral therapy, nor medication have brought any relief.
That's why I just keep going and enjoying it.

okok

That is obvious from the review - sound quality - linearity & transparency even into low bass which very few headphones can do.

messy group delay ("can't eq those areas"), high peaks in the high frequency, big dip around 1-2k hz

Top Bottom