• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400SE Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 4.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 121 32.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 238 63.0%

• Total voters

sblrog

Just picked these up (2nd hand) for 50 bucks... Threw in the filters suggested by @amirm and - g'dam - these are some fine phones! With that bass boost - there's absolutely nothing to complain about.
Like $50 CAD?

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just picked these up (2nd hand) for 50 bucks... Threw in the filters suggested by @amirm and - g'dam - these are some fine phones! With that bass boost - there's absolutely nothing to complain about.
Ruh Roh.... After some use... One issue has arisen - they don't give enough space for the cabbage leaves I call my ears. My Drop+ DCA Aeons are much more accomodating to my lobes. So... maybe not "all-day-comfort" good; but definitely more enjoable than the DCAs... To me they sound "more dynamic" than the closed DCAs. So you know what that means, right?

Time to find the open version of the Aeons! This is a very stupid obsession!

Blorg

Ruh Roh.... After some use... One issue has arisen - they don't give enough space for the cabbage leaves I call my ears. My Drop+ DCA Aeons are much more accomodating to my lobes. So... maybe not "all-day-comfort" good; but definitely more enjoable than the DCAs... To me they sound "more dynamic" than the closed DCAs. So you know what that means, right?

Time to find the open version of the Aeons! This is a very stupid obsession!
The egg-shaped Hifimans have very spacious earcups and are a huge step up.

Ananda Stealth is $399 new at the moment, or $349 refurbished, and they have stock for Canada, this is a very good deal IMO:

Or $379/$329 for the Edition XS, but I'd go for the Ananda Stealth at this price delta, the headband is a lot better.

eddantes

The egg-shaped Hifimans have very spacious earcups and are a huge step up.

Ananda Stealth is $399 new at the moment, or $349 refurbished, and they have stock for Canada, this is a very good deal IMO:

Or $379/$329 for the Edition XS, but I'd go for the Ananda Stealth at this price delta, the headband is a lot better.

Hey. Thanks for the suggestions, but I'll probably opt for after-market pads first. Dekoni pads look promissing, but I haven't compared the measurements yet.

Blorg

Hey. Thanks for the suggestions, but I'll probably opt for after-market pads first. Dekoni pads look promissing, but I haven't compared the measurements yet.
I'd stick with the stock pads, aftermarket pads are likely to make the FR worse. Oratory has an EQ which may help.

eddantes

I'd stick with the stock pads, aftermarket pads are likely to make the FR worse. Oratory has an EQ which may help.
Cheers! I have mine EQed. Simple shelf for the low-end and a 4db boost around 2K. Don't have a PEQ, so more of a GEQ eyeballing really, but I'm not one for slicing hairs so - good nuff. Going to try the XL pads from Brainwavz. Should get more room for my ears. I can always go back to stock.

eddantes

Cheers! I have mine EQed. Simple shelf for the low-end and a 4db boost around 2K. Don't have a PEQ, so more of a GEQ eyeballing really, but I'm not one for slicing hairs so - good nuff. Going to try the XL pads from Brainwavz. Should get more room for my ears. I can always go back to stock.
UPDATE: The XL Brainwavez pads do give a little more room, and made these phones more comfortable for my elephantine ears!

Splork

Apologies in advance for the super long query.

I am from India and have bought the HE400SE for myself (it's on the way).

My query is regarding a suitable amp/dac (preferably portable, but not compulsory)

I am not a rich guy and can't spend too much (more than 100USD) on an amp/dac. Since I got the 400SE at such appealing prices (for 123$) and per my music preference HE400SE are perfect for me. I will use it on my own ROG Strix (2021 model) or office's HP Elitebook x360 (both i7 10gens), and on my Samsung S20 FE 5g (i have Buds 2 for them but would love to hear the HE400SE when going to office in the company cab). I probably won't be pushing it to its limit, but need sufficiently loud when I am in the mood. So I think a decently powerful (preferably portable like I said) is what I am looking for.

My options are as follows (though I will be buying in INR, the prices are here for your ease).

DESKTOP DAC & AMPS
iFi Audio - UNO - 71$
Topping DX1 - 84$
iFi Audio - Zen Air DAC ($108)
iFi Audio - Zen Air CAN (108$)
FIIO - New K3 (108$)
I think I like the Topping DX1 as I read it will be enough for the HE400SE, but still sharing a few Portables below if they're as good as Topping (will be able to use the portables with my S20 FE as well)

PORTABLE DAC & AMPS
Moondrop Dawn Pro - 64$
Ibasso DC03 Pro - 66$
Shanling UA 2 Plus/UA3 (both under 80$)
Fiio Ka3/Q11 (96$)
Tempotec SOnata BHD Pro -97$
Tanchjim Space - (101$)
Shanling UA4 - 108$
Thanks!

Blorg

@Splork HE400SE are quite a hard to drive headphone, but it does depend how loud you listen and how much EQ (and thus negative pre-amp) you want to use. Oratory's HE400SE EQ is -9.3dB. +10dB = 10x the power, so that's what you need to put back if you want to EQ, and they do benefit from it. Although- you wouldn't need to put back all of this -9.3dB, as the EQ itself boosts. But after EQ is certainly quieter and you would want to boost a bit.

You can also tweak that EQ so it doesn't need quite as much negative pre-amp, I leave off the first 30Hz shelf (this really doesn't make much audible difference) and reduce the 1,900Hz +7dB to +5.5dB, which I think sounds better anyway. This gives you -5.5dB pre-amp which is more manageable.

Checking with the Qudelix 5K (which gives actual power levels), without EQ I'm at 299mV for about the loudest I'd listen. This is only 3.5mW. Even with -10dB EQ though, that would be 35mW which is still well within the capabilities of something like the Dawn Pro.

Subjectively, they sound fine to me on the Moondrop Dawn Pro, using the balanced, at a reasonable listening volume. You would want a balanced cable. This shouldn't be too expensive, like $10-15. Dawn Pro will do around around 120mW @32Ω. Sounds OK

If you wanted more, can you get the Fiio KA13 dongle? It's fully portable and claims 550mW @32Ω and Fiio are generally reasonably accurate with their claims. It's not expensive outside India either, MSRP $75 and I see it as low as $57 on Ali right now.

DX1 is OK but it's a desktop device with lower power (280mW) than higher powered dongles, albeit more than the Dawn Pro. So if you specifically wanted portable, it's not the choice.

I'm not sure open backs are the best choice for "going to office in the company cab" though either.

Splork

@Blorg Yes, I can get the KA13, Thanks a ton for the detailed response. I'll probably burn them for about 80 hours and then listen to them, and then get the KA13 ($83 here in India). Thanks again!
Apologies but your first two paras sound like a foreign language, I'm very new to this lol. Had a Yamaha EPH 100 back in 2014 as my first proper earphones. Now re-entering into this audiophile space, so will need time to understand. But I understand that the Dawn Pro does the job, and the KA13 is as good as it can get in budget portables for the HE400SE.

Thanks again!

Splork

I'm just reiterating what I've seen online, like I said, this is my first serious foray in this. But thanks for letting me know. Will open and start using them straightaway. Can get the KA13 earlier if required lol.

Splork

Just got these today and have been listening for about 4-5 hours. Good God the level of detail is anything I've ever heard before. But the volume at 100 on my laptop is equal to 30 for the Blackshark V2 USB. It is okayish loudness but I definitely need more for when I'm listening sometimes. Will get balanced cables and the FiiOKa13 later in December.

I have installed the Equalizer APO and Peace and have adjusted the settings as per Oratory. Sound is more or less the same for now, will probably shine once I get the Ka13.
Can you @Blorg or @staticV3 please see if I have set them correctly as advised by Oratory?

Attachments

• Hifiman HE400se.pdf
    412.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Oratory for HE400SE.png
    Oratory for HE400SE.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 42

eddantes

Just got these today and have been listening for about 4-5 hours. Good God the level of detail is anything I've ever heard before. But the volume at 100 on my laptop is equal to 30 for the Blackshark V2 USB. It is okayish loudness but I definitely need more for when I'm listening sometimes. Will get balanced cables and the FiiOKa13 later in December.

I have installed the Equalizer APO and Peace and have adjusted the settings as per Oratory. Sound is more or less the same for now, will probably shine once I get the Ka13.
Can you @Blorg or @staticV3 please see if I have set them correctly as advised by Oratory?
https://autoeq.app/ choose the 400SE, select EqualizerAPO, and download exact and detailed settings.

1700931041458.png

eddantes

Thanks! Just that the AutoEq first filter Frequency says 105 and the pdf downloaded from Reddit says 30. Any reason this is so?
This is a lowshelf filter... So 105 is where the shelf starts (encompassing all the lower frequencies). I assume reddit is a graphic eq filter, which just defines one frequency around which the boost occurs..

Last edited:

Blorg

Thanks! Just that the AutoEq first filter Frequency says 105 and the pdf downloaded from Reddit says 30. Any reason this is so?
AutoEQ is software producing that EQ. So it's using Oratory's measurements, and targeting Harman and will have a similar result but not the same, as it's automatically generated.

I'd use Oratory1990's PDF EQs over AutoEQ, they tend to be a bit better. How you entered it looks right. You can tweak as you feel, I drop the first low shelf as I don't feel it's really necessary, drop the 1,900 a bit and then I can get it in a -5.5dB pre-amp and sounds more to my preference.

Preamp: -5.5 dB Filter 2: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 0.71 Filter 3: ON PK Fc 600 Hz Gain 0.4 dB Q 1.4 Filter 4: ON PK Fc 950 Hz Gain -2.3 dB Q 1.4 Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1900 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 1.2 Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2950 Hz Gain -1.2 dB Q 3.5 Filter 7: ON PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 6 Filter 8: ON HSC Fc 10000 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 0.71

boyboyboy

Hello everybody,

under the spell of planars' lush sound, and against my better judgment, I bought a pair of HE400se despite being fully aware of the low sensitivity. They sound very nice indeed, however loudness is only okay-ish with my PC: definitely need a boost, with or without oratory1990's preset.

I would love to keep the HE400se, but I can see these will need more than just an amp in order to become my daily driver, so I need to address the loudness issue on a budget.

Most recommended, high-quality dongles are either unavailable to me or too expensive for my blood; this leaves me with only one option, the Jcally JM20.

Now my understanding is:

1. Most dongles, when connected to low impedance phones like the HE400se, will work in low gain mode.
2. In order to produce good loudness, the HE400se require 1.6+ V.

Bringing me to: is there any legit, straightforward and financially inconspicuous way to trick the JM20 into high gain and fix the issue with loudness on a budget ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Bringing me to: is there any legit, straightforward and financially inconspicuous way to trick the JM20 into high gain and fix the issue with loudness on a budget ?
Yes. A simple 3.5mm Male to Female adapter like this. You plug the adapter into the dongle, then your headphone into the adapter, and that disables the JM20's auto gain.

This will increase the maximum achievable output voltage from 1.0V to about 1.4V with the HE400se as load (~26Ω), which translates to about 20% more volume.

Top Bottom