• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400SE Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 4.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 121 32.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 238 63.0%

• Total voters

Brianc

So they're calling the chinese non-stealth edition the V1 and the global stealth edition the V2 now? I made an account just to clarify this, thinking i might've bought an inferior version just a week before a newer revision released lmao.

I got the chinese version, the non stealth. Came with a better cable (the black rubber ones) for 110$! I can't comment on the difference berween the V1 and V2 but what im hearing pretty much aligned with all the global version reviews. Aside from the comfort that is,
i did a lot of research before getting these and while most of the reviews agreed that this sounds great for the money, it seems that they couldn't agree about the comfort, it's either very comfortable or very uncomfortable, there doesn't seem to be an inbetween. Im sad to say that im on the latter side on this one, while the pads and clamp is super comfortable it's kind of offset by the ****** headband, it doesn't quite form to my head, so the weight distribution is'nt uniform and focused on the top of the headband, pressing against my head quite hard. And it's get super annoying after only 30 minutes, imagine pressing firmly on your head with your thumb for 30 minutes...
At least it gets better after some use, but it's still not ideal... not to mention the yokes creaks like a rusty knob if try to swivel it after only a week of use. So buyers beware, especially those with narrower head, the only good thing i can say about the overall build quality is the thick plush pads
Other than that, i've nothing to complain about, in terms of sound. this is my first openback planars and i kinda like that big sound that these gave me, and it just so happen that the sound signature is almost perfectly to my preference (slightly bright leaning neutral and a bit of vocal emphasis)

I've also tried the sundara, and for the short duration i've tried it on (less than 10 minutes) i can tell that it is definitely an upgrade over the 400se, at least subjectively in terms of tonalities, can't comment much on technicalities since i haven't listened for long enough to be able to tell.
I would echo almost all of this, especially re comfort. Earpads are fine, the headband is not.

NYfan2

Forum Donor
I'm listening to the HE400 for about a week now, I use the oratory1990 EQ settings.
Untill now I really like what I hear.
Maybe I have to try some of the eq settings provided by members to see if these give some improvement.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm listening to the HE400 for about a week now, I use the oratory1990 EQ settings.
Maybe I have to try some of the eq settings provided by members to see if these give some improvement.

The default filters of oratory are way too bright. Try Amir’s.

wisack

First of all, thank you Amir for your reviews! I just visited a friend's place who had Hifiman phones (I guess they were the ones from the drop) and they sounded phenomenal compared to my old DT770 80ohms. My question is about my audio interface which is Steinberg UR242. I checked that its headphone out outputs 40 Ohm and 3.75mW but I can't tell if I could drive these (or sundara?) properly and your help would be well appreciated. I know some of you will probably say "it will be better with amp.." but I am kind of poor at the moment and if it just would suffice I would be happy.

If it makes any relevance, I am driving my DT770 80ohm eq'd with -7dB preamp and volume is 50-80% of the knob and it's loud. Really don't understand the sensitivity stuff hehe

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First of all, thank you Amir for your reviews! I just visited a friend's place who had Hifiman phones (I guess they were the ones from the drop) and they sounded phenomenal compared to my old DT770 80ohms. My question is about my audio interface which is Steinberg UR242. I checked that its headphone out outputs 40 Ohm and 3.75mW but I can't tell if I could drive these (or sundara?) properly and your help would be well appreciated. I know some of you will probably say "it will be better with amp.." but I am kind of poor at the moment and if it just would suffice I would be happy.

If it makes any relevance, I am driving my DT770 80ohm eq'd with -7dB preamp and volume is 50-80% of the knob and it's loud. Really don't understand the sensitivity stuff hehe
3.75mW is really really low. I have 85mW with the HE400SE and it's 'just enough'.

pk500

I would echo almost all of this, especially re comfort. Earpads are fine, the headband is not.
Knead the headband gently with your thumbs. That technique -- and time -- loosens it a lot.

The HE-400se created an insane hot spot on my bald head when I bought them. I love the sound but almost returned them due to discomfort. But that spot disappeared after some strategic kneading and more use, and the HE-400se is among my most comfortable cans.

Last edited:

MrBlitzpunk

Knead the headband gently with your thumbs. That technique -- and time -- loosens it a lot.

The HE-400se created an insane hot spot on my bald head when I bought them. I love the sound but almost returned them due to discomfort. But that spot disappeared after some strategic kneading and more use, and the HE-400se are among my most comfortable cans.
yeah at this point it's a bit broken in, but still, instead of being annoying after 30 minutes it now starts being annoying after 2 hours. not ideal but eh. i was thinking of getting something similar to the dekoni nuggets

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the Oratory EQ is for Chinese version of 400se, which are not the stealth magnet edition.

Xombul

Forum Donor
As I am curious, I purchased H400SE V2 headphones (142 EUR on Amazon) with "stealth" magnets:oops:. I already own a pair of HE560 V2, and I am very happy with them.
First of of all, the sound quality is amazing and, subjectively I found them better than the HE560 regarding the sound stage and the low-medium. Imo it has a better sound stage than the AKG 371, but I still prefer the AKG highs. BTW I EQ all of them, using Oratory presets.

The only (big) drawback is the build quality:
  • The ear-pads are scratchy, actually they play in the same league as Grado ear-pads ! I immediately spent 40 EUR to replace them : on Hifiman headphones, replacing the pad is not so easy because of those crappy plastic rings (a nice and simple improvement would be to ease the ear-pad replacement...)
  • The "new" head band is not comfortable at all (the HE560 are way more comfy) and, after a careful kneading of the "leather" band, I am still contemplating to change it for this one:
    Coussinet-de-bandeau-de-remplacement-pour-HIFIMAN-HE4-HE400-HE5-HE5LE-HE500-HE6-coussinets-de-bandeau.jpg_50x50.jpg_.webp
  • My headphones came with 2 SE cables, a white cable and a black cable : the white one is just a piece of crap (it went directly to the recycling bin and I just kept the 6.5 adapter), however the black one is decent but too short. So, I spent an extra 30 EUR to get a (Chinese) balanced cable. Unfortunately the HE 560 connectors are two 2.5 mm jacks, where as the HE 400SE are two 3.5 mm jacks (Why?)
In a nutshell, I am afraid that you will need to spend extra money to make your HE400 SE just usable, and enjoy the sound quality which is impressive.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
2.5 mm jacks, where as the HE 400SE are two 3.5 mm jacks (Why?)

The 2.5mm are more fragile and contact with 3.5mm is better. The latter is a good thing with low impedance headphones.
You can be glad they didn't continue using the SMC connector or went with more expensive or proprietary connectors.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys please stop using Oratory’s EQ settings. They’re way too bright and don’t do it justice.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi Amir, is there an impulse response measurement for this? Curious to see if it has the ringing displayed by the HE400i

Interestingly enough the absolute phase is 180 degrees off (driver + is connected to common)
Obviously till today no one picked up on this so I don't think it is audible. HE400i has correct absolute phase.

sq-he400se.png

For comparison the impulse for HE400i (phase was correct)
100us HE400i -kl.png

Below Edition XX (had correct phase)
SQ Edition XX.png

Last edited:

Xombul

Forum Donor
The 2.5mm are more fragile and contact with 3.5mm is better. The latter is a good thing with low impedance headphones.
You can be glad they didn't continue using the SMC connector or went with more expensive or proprietary connectors.
I fully agree with you: the connecteurs on HE 560 V1 were a nightmare. They should have set-up directly 3.5 mm for the V2.

Xombul

Forum Donor
Guys please stop using Oratory’s EQ settings. They’re way too bright and don’t do it justice.
Your are right, but unfortunately my ears are aging and a little bit of brightness doesn't bother me.

MrBlitzpunk

As I am curious, I purchased H400SE V2 headphones (142 EUR on Amazon) with "stealth" magnets:oops:. I already own a pair of HE560 V2, and I am very happy with them.
First of of all, the sound quality is amazing and, subjectively I found them better than the HE560 regarding the sound stage and the low-medium. Imo it has a better sound stage than the AKG 371, but I still prefer the AKG highs. BTW I EQ all of them, using Oratory presets.

• The ear-pads are scratchy, actually they play in the same league as Grado ear-pads ! I immediately spent 40 EUR to replace them : on Hifiman headphones, replacing the pad is not so easy because of those crappy plastic rings (a nice and simple improvement would be to ease the ear-pad replacement...)
  • The "new" head band is not comfortable at all (the HE560 are way more comfy) and, after a careful kneading of the "leather" band, I am still contemplating to change it for this one:
    Coussinet-de-bandeau-de-remplacement-pour-HIFIMAN-HE4-HE400-HE5-HE5LE-HE500-HE6-coussinets-de-bandeau.jpg_50x50.jpg_.webp
  • My headphones came with 2 SE cables, a white cable and a black cable : the white one is just a piece of crap (it went directly to the recycling bin and I just kept the 6.5 adapter), however the black one is decent but too short. So, I spent an extra 30 EUR to get a (Chinese) balanced cable. Unfortunately the HE 560 connectors are two 2.5 mm jacks, where as the HE 400SE are two 3.5 mm jacks (Why?)
In a nutshell, I am afraid that you will need to spend extra money to make your HE400 SE just usable, and enjoy the sound quality which is impressive.
What did you switch the pads with? Is the plastic ring reusable or was it glued to the pad? Im still too afraid to tinker with it, though i have no problem with the stock pads other than it's a lint/hair magnet.

Snoopy

Major Contributor

Sound a bit like a waste of money if you have to replace cable, headband and earpads to even make it usable.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound a bit like a waste of money if you have to replace cable, headband and earpads to even make it usable.
the post is mostly over-dramatization to be honest, the company now provides an extra fancy cable with every headphone, the earpads are one of the most comfortable i have ever worn and my ears don't get warm at all because they're perforated (Seriously why is this not a thing with other brands?).

the headband could be slightly improved upon, it's 7 out of 10 and gets to 8 out 10 as you make it a bit loose with use, but at 150$ you can't really complain.

Xombul

Forum Donor
the post is mostly over-dramatization to be honest, the company now provides an extra fancy cable with every headphone, the earpads are one of the most comfortable i have ever worn and my ears don't get warm at all because they're perforated (Seriously why is this not a thing with other brands?).

the headband could be slightly improved upon, it's 7 out of 10 and gets to 8 out 10 as you make it a bit loose with use, but at 150$ you can't really complain.
As a demanding consumer I would have liked to get for 142 euros:
1) one single cable: the black one+50 cm fits the bill
2) The same headband as the he400 before 2020
3) Better ear-pads, as mine didn't come with perforated earpads
I even would have been happy to pay 20 euros more as, again, the sound quality is amazing.

Xombul

Forum Donor
What did you switch the pads with? Is the plastic ring reusable or was it glued to the pad? Im still too afraid to tinker with it, though i have no problem with the stock pads other than it's a lint/hair magnet.
The plastic rings are glued to the pad, but you can buy them separately on the hifman store or on alibaba. You can buy spare earpads from dekoni (not cheap), brainwaz, etc. Then, for the next DIY step, I strongly advice watching a tutorial...

Top Bottom