• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Edition XS

Makafuni

Thank you.
This guy says things that are opposite to my experience with Editions!
Things like "Darker than Sundara" or "HD660s having better midrange" and so on.

Makafuni

I think he's saying that the Sundara treble is a bit more unforgiving and not as resolved as XS therefore more fatuiging. this i find to be true. And the comparison to the 6series I think he's primarily focusing on the timbre which that hp is kind of known for. To me the 6 series still have better timbre but not by a lot though.

Makafuni

Thank you.
Review alert!

I believe there will come a direct comparison between the Ananda and XS soon, since he didn't mention them at all and it's the most obvious competitor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you.
Which is why there is little value to anyone in purely subjective comments.

Makafuni

So a new update!

Just got the replacement pair and everything sounds as it should!
Now it's obvious to me there was indeed a fault on the other set. They sound perfect :)
Just hope they are gonna hold up in the long run. I'm gonna baby them like crazy
happy camper now :)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is why there is little value to anyone in purely subjective comments.
Aah !
But statistics can help.
If enough people say, something is subjectively good, then I take that as recommendation.
After all, not everything audio can be objectively tested to be good, only to be Not Broken .
Objective lab tests are a must, but are only the first steps.
Proof of the pudding is in the eating. that's the final step.
This guy is just one voice.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Aah !
But statistics can help.
If enough people say, something is subjectively good, then I take that as recommendation.
After all, not everything audio can be objectively tested to be good, only to be Not Brocken .
Objective lab tests are a must, but are only the first steps.
Proof of the pudding is in the eating. that's the final step.
This guy is just one voice.
Mercifully https://www.dropbox.com/s/5st1w8rpe5iggwd/Hifiman Edition XS.pdf?dl=0

Im not sure statistics apply to the audio youtube hype train passengers and drivers.

Makafuni

Well that's kind of inacurate. But they still sound alot better and all over more composed than ex the sundara which i think scores over a 100 after eq.
That boost on 4.4 db at 1750 is just insane. I have it at 1.5 at 1350hz. Who would wanna listen to that? I dont get these harman target settings. They are too extreme and in most cases fucks the sound to my ears. I have some of the same peak/dips at around 3k 5k and 9ish k though. The bass shelf is also too much. A subtle 3 db at 25hz will do it just fine imo:)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well that's kind of inacurate. But they still sound alot better and all over more composed than ex the sundara which i think scores over a 100 after eq.
That boost on 4.4 db at 1750 is just insane. I have it at 1.5 at 1350hz. Who would wanna listen to that? I dont get these harman target settings. They are too extreme and in most cases fucks the sound to my ears. I have some of the same peak/dips at around 3k 5k and 9ish k though. The bass shelf is also too much. A subtle 3 db at 25hz will do it just fine imo:)
What is inaccurate? The measurement? The EQ?

I also find a lot of the Harman based EQs too extreme for my tastes- but I wouldnt call them inaccurate.

Makafuni

What is inaccurate? The measurement? The EQ?

I also find a lot of the Harman based EQs too extreme for my tastes- but I wouldnt call them inaccurate.
Some other headphones score higher when EQ'ed to the hamren target. What I mean is it´s not as accurate/close to the harman target as other hp can get.

Makafuni

Accurate being the wrong term to use here :)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And I use no EQ on my Edition XS at all these days! yes they could do with a little boost at 1750Hz, but not a must.
All the love affair with EQ and its ability to cure a rainy day!
Headphone frequecy response curves are massively over-rated. They all have major errors, most of the curve is composed of test-gear related issues. Just compare ten of famous Oratory's FR curves from different manufacturers (same type of headphone) and wonder at similarities.
Good luck to anyone who forgoes their own ears and EQ's their headphones using FR curves.
If a headphone doesn't sound right (to me) without any EQ, I'll ditch it.

Makafuni

And I use no EQ on my Edition XS at all these days! yes they could do with a little boost at 1750Hz, but not a must.
All the love affair with EQ and its ability to cure a rainy day!
Headphone frequecy response curves are massively over-rated. They all have major errors, most of the curve is composed of test-gear related issues.
Good luck to anyone who forgoes their own ears and EQ's their headphones using FR curves.
If a headphone doesn't sound right (to me) without any EQ, I'll ditch it.
I use a sinewave sweep in combination with listening to real music and make adjustments if needed. I have tinitus so im pretty sensitive to certain frequencies and find eq really helpfull in that regard :) Good for you if you don't need it

Makafuni

Stay off the sweeps if I were you :), probably where you got it from.
Lol this is probably the stupidest shit I've heard in a long time. But thx for enlightening me on where I got my tinitus from! I guess you know best!

cheapmessiah

Mercifully https://www.dropbox.com/s/5st1w8rpe5iggwd/Hifiman Edition XS.pdf?dl=0

Im not sure statistics apply to the audio youtube hype train passengers and drivers.
On the reddit thread oratory comented that anything rated close to and above 90 is pretty much excellent, and that a better headphone can get a lower score post eq becuse the algorithm over emphasises the importance of the 9-10k dip and it depends from measurement to measurement.

Having said that, im very interested in the EXS, but im also very happy with my eqed 400i, the one advantage i see n the EXS is that preamp gain is 4db higher, so more headroom is available on "modest" amps, like the zen can i have.

ngs428

Attachments

• Hifiman ED XS - Oratory1990- MathAudio Headphone EQ Preset - 2022-03-18.zip
    498 bytes · Views: 98
Top Bottom