• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Edition XS

sai

Hi guys - my first post here. I am the guy measured the Edition XS on unheardlab. Glad to see these getting the attention that IMHO they deserve. I've been a fan of the Ananda&HEKV2 so when these were released I was really interested. But back then they were only sold in China. I finally decided to ship a pair in and I am happy that I did.

For those interested in pad rolling, I have also measured the XS with the Dekoni elite velour arya pads, and a number of third-party pads I bought from taobao. Attached are the measurements.

XS ELVL.png

XS ALL PADS.png

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Hi guys - my first post here. I am the guy measured the Edition XS on unheardlab. Glad to see these getting the attention that IMHO they deserve. I've been a fan of the Ananda&HEKV2 so when these were released I was really interested. But back then they were only sold in China. I finally decided to ship a pair in and I am happy that I did.

For those interested in pad rolling, I have also measured the XS with the Dekoni elite velour arya pads, and a number of third-party pads I bought from taobao. Attached are the measurements.

View attachment 192105

View attachment 192106
Thanks for sharing your good work! The stock pad seems substantially more V-shaped than any other pads, really makes me wonder what causes this. I assume the dimensions of all the pads are similar except maybe thickness. Could it be the difference in foam material?

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for sharing your good work! The stock pad seems substantially more V-shaped than any other pads, really makes me wonder what causes this. I assume the dimensions of all the pads are similar except maybe thickness. Could it be the difference in foam material?
The bass is pretty much same and the biggest difference is in the upper mid area so i wouldn't say it's v shaped. In fact elite velour have more bass and treble relative to upper mids.

View attachment 192105

View attachment 192106
In your measurements, XS seem to have the same elevation as Ananda around 3-5k but in Resolve's measurements seems like that elevation is fixed.
bc392d4c95061c7b79106dcb820fbe9dafb01da9.jpeg

Wish we can have more samples out there. Crin, Oratory and @amirm haven't measured it yet. Ananda have just too much energy there compared to the rest of the spectrum: bass, treble, 1.5k. I hope XS is more even. I like what elite velour does in your measurements.

sai

Thanks mate. The hifiman stock pads are quite interesting really. A couple of factors combined I guess. The choice of thin pleather along with low-density non-memory foam, while effectively got hifiman their crap make quality name, give them some sonic qualities to be desired. The combination resembles the sonic qualities between that of pleather (linear bass, but no real leather honky mids) and velour (airy treble).

sai

In your measurements, XS seem to have the same elevation as Ananda around 3-5k but in Resolve's measurements seems like that elevation is fixed.
bc392d4c95061c7b79106dcb820fbe9dafb01da9.jpeg

Wish we can have more samples out there. Crin, Oratory and @amirm haven't measured it yet. Ananda have just too much energy there compared to the rest of the spectrum: bass, treble, 1.5k. I hope XS is more even. I like what elite velour does in your measurements.

Yeah I am guessing it's due to unit variation, but I'm not sure. It could've also been caused by different positioning, as you can see in the concha interaction region around 9-10khz the XS and Ananda behave quite differerntly in Resolve's measurements. In my experience this suggest difference in coupling of the headphones on the measurement rig, and in the case of the XS versus the Ananda this is well justified, as the two come with different headband/clamp structure.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Review alert!

I like RTINGS, what I hear corresponds with their FR graphs.
Edition XS certainly deserves all the praise it is getting.
Just an observation:
- I believe the 6.5kHz to 8.5kHz anomaly is due to ringing of back grill bars, if you have these headphones, just pluck one of the bars with your finger nail (like a guitar) and watch it ring like a bell!
- This makes the Editions a little screechy, to test my theory, find a very narrow (less than 5mm or it affects the sound) double side gel-type tape and apply it to the middle of the bars from top to bottom, making sure the gel sticks to the middle of each bar. you can always take it off, it leaves no residue!
- compare before and after, see if the screechy-ness gets reduced or not.
- I also believe the elevated distortion in the same region is related.
If enough people report back, we'll know if there is anything to it.

51zfCOM52kL._AC_SL1074_.jpg

Last edited:

Barry_G

- I believe the 6.5kHz to 8.5kHz anomaly is due to ringing of back grill bars, if you have these headphones, just pluck one of the bars with your finger nail (like a guitar) and watch it ring like a bell!
Interesting observation and hypothesis. I think a simple test would be to dampen that hypothetical "ringing" by just placing your index finger vertically against the middle of the grill over each ear while listening. When I do that, it seems to however have no effect on the sound in that range of frequencies. So I'm a bit skeptical of the ringing hypothesis but still curious. In the meantime, I intend on trying the Dekoni Velour pads.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
. . . simple test would be to dampen that hypothetical "ringing" by just placing your index finger vertically against the middle of the grill over each ear while listening. When I do that, it seems to however have no effect on the sound in that range of frequencies.
Yes and no!
With open back headphones like Edition and even Sundara, placing anything near the back of the headphones can make audible changes to the sound ( back radiation), one extreme case to make my point is, with your palms flat out, bring them close to the back of the earcups, even without touching the grill, you hear a change in sound as you get closer, changing the angle of your palms makes weird changes too.
The dampening of the bars is the way, but not with your fingers! hence my suggestion with gel tape.
A narrow gel tape, if stuck to the centre of the bars can take the edge from the (alleged) ringing phenomena. It won't fully dampen the bars, but tames them down. while being soft and narrow, its effect on the back radiation should be small.
A better way is to find two lollipop sticks (round cardboard ones), stick a very narrow gel tape on it length-wise, then stick it to the back on the grills vertically, making sure the top and bottom of the stick dont peel off, as the grills are slightly bowed outwards.
This makes a good damper, cardboard stick doesn't vibrate and the tape sticks the grill bars. Also the roundness of the stick means little interference with back radiation.
Costs nothing, but a little time and it may be fun.
IF it bears results, then something permanent can be done, otherwise, remove it, no harm done.

Barry_G

Instead of a lollipop stick, perhaps a vertical strip of narrow lead tape down the center of the grill?

Last edited:

odyo

Grill bars aren't acoustically invisible. I'm curious how FR would look like if someone remove them and measure the headphone.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Grill bars aren't acoustically invisible. I'm curious how FR would look like if someone remove them and measure the headphone.
That would be interesting.
However, since the cups are egg-shaped, the back grill is part of the construction to keep the egg-shape, or the yokes would quash the cups!
Hence the horizantal bars, vertically - they can take some force.
I have opened them, the grills are fitted tight in their slot, in full contact with the cups. there is only a thin foam washer between the edges of the cup/grill, to the driver assembly. There is also a fibre-board washer (similar to a circuit board) that sits on top of the driver and below the cup holder grips, to further strengthen the cups.
Vibrations of the grill are audible.

Last edited:

odyo

That would be interesting.
However, since the cups are egg-shaped, the back grill is part of the construction to keep the egg-shape, or the yokes would quash the cups!
Hence the horizantal bars, vertically - they can take some force.
I have opened them, the grills are fitted tight in their slot, in full contact with the cups. there is a foam washer between the edges of the cup/grill, seperating them from the driver.
I actually used them without grills no problem. Grills are just there to prevent poking and keeping drivers clean i think. I don't understand why yokes would quash the cups. Egg shape of the cups solid.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually used them without grills no problem. Grills are just there to prevent poking and keeping drivers clean i think. I don't understand why yokes would quash the cups. Egg shape of the cups solid.
Eggs, are very strong length wise, but weak side ways!
In a circular headphone, such as Sundara or the HE series, the round cup does not need anything.
But in an eggshell design, one needs some sort horizantal brace.

odyo

Eggs, are very strong length wise, but weak side ways!
In a circular headphone, such as Sundara or the HE series, the round cup does not need anything.
But in an eggshell design, one needs some sort horizantal brace.
Oh i get what you mean. Yeah design wise, from Hifiman's point of view, it may help with that however you can safely use the headphones without the grills. I don't think anyone will encounter any problem short term.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh i get what you mean. Yeah design wise, from Hifiman's point of view, it may help with that however you can safely use the headphones without the grills. I don't think anyone will encounter any problem short term.
I wouldn't recomment it!
Hifiman driver assemblies are fragile, a little too much pressure here or there and they get damaged or warped.
The driver assembly is made out of glassfibre, and a little flexible. Because of the egg-shape it is weak(ish) on the sides, hence they wisely designed the grill they way they did, with a tight tolerance to the cup openning and included a fairly stiff fibre-board (initially I thought was metal!) that sits on the other side of the driver assembly, just beneath the cup grip ring, making sure the cups can not quash if mistreated and put any pressure on the driver. let's not bypass that effort.
did you try plucking the grill bars to see how they ring?

odyo

I wouldn't recomment it!
Hifiman driver assemblies are fragile, a little too much pressure here or there and they get damaged or warped.
The driver assembly is made out of glassfibre, and a little flexible. Because of the egg-shape it is weak(ish) on the sides, hence they wisely designed the grill they way they did, with a tight tolerance to the cup openning and included a fairly stiff fibre-board (initially I thought was metal!) that sits on the other side of the driver assembly, just beneath the cup grip ring, making sure the cups can not quash if mistreated and put any pressure on the driver. let's not bypass that effort.
did you try plucking the grill bars to see how they ring?
Looks like you know more than me so i'll take your word for it.
Yes they really ring a lot. Don't even need to pluck that hard. I wonder what material they used on Arya. Is it just the color or is it different.

Extremely open design and the sensitive thin diaphragm makes these HFM headphones special in the market. They have somehow realistic(non-processed) sound apart from tonality and timbre.

Top Bottom