• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Edition XS

Makafuni

So not quite the happy camper after all.

My initial listen to the HP when I got it yesterday seemed fine, but only had 10 min and wanted it to work.
Well today after an extended listen I can confirm two things.

1. Both drivers work fine and plays a 10-20000hz sinewave as they should but,
2. The left driver plays around 1.5-2 db lower. same problem as the first pair.

Now I don't suspect a bad driver as much as a bad channel-matching from Hifimans side.
What is the acceptable margin for channel imbalances? 2 db to me is not acceptable and not listenable.

An example.
I listened to Billie Eilish latest album, and with a 1.5 db gain to the left channel everything sounds as it should with her voice in the center of the mix.

I have some options
1. I can return and forget about this HP
2. I can keep it and do the correction myself
3. I can try and get a third pair

What's your experiences with this, and should I just suck it up and do the correction myself. Is it within an acceptable margin of error or is it unacceptable? I know what it is to me, but is it what you can expect?

I've not had a similar problem with any of my other headphones in the past.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Maybe your local dealer got a bad batch of these headphones. If you like the sound of XS you can try a different seller. I have compared one from Amazon and one from headphones.com and not noticed much sound difference or poor channel matching.

Makafuni

Switching the cables reverses the effect so this would leave out an imbalance issue with the HP correct?

I should've tried this before but on the other set this did not help so I assumed it would be the same.

It's not my amp cus the same with phone computer and dac. Is it the cable?

Obviously no expert here ;)

Barry_G

The result from switching the cables indicates the problem is in a component upstream of the headphones. Switch the cables between DAC and amp. If the problem switches channels, then the issue may be in the DAC output. If it doesn't switch channels, then the issue may be channel imbalance in the amp.

Last edited:

Makafuni

And the other balanced cable I tried with the first pair I returned didn't like the sound ( andit didn't fix the problem on the first set).
I ordered a balanced replacement cable which will arrive in a couple of weeks, so won't be able to know for sure until then.

Makafuni

Switching the cables result indicates the problem is in a component upstream of the headphones.
Yeah that would make the most sense :) But it doesn't seem to be my amp as both phone dac and mac does the same thing.

Barry_G

Yeah that would make the most sense :) But it doesn't seem to be my amp as both phone dac and mac does the same thing.
If multiple sources feeding the amp display the same channel imbalance, then it is probably the amp. Perhaps I'm not understanding you or your setup.

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

My initial listen to the HP when I got it yesterday seemed fine, but only had 10 min and wanted it to work.

Now I don't suspect a bad driver as much as a bad channel-matching from Hifimans side.
What is the acceptable margin for channel imbalances? 2 db to me is not acceptable and not listenable.

An example.
I listened to Billie Eilish latest album, and with a 1.5 db gain to the left channel everything sounds as it should with her voice in the center of the mix.

I have some options

What's your experiences with this, and should I just suck it up and do the correction myself. Is it within an acceptable margin of error or is it unacceptable? I know what it is to me, but is it what you can expect?

Statistically, it shouldn't happen!
two headphones having same issue with same amp, DAC and listener, is difficult to accept.
If anything, Hifiman do match their drivers, just about anyone who has measured them have reported very close matching of drivers.
Look for the culprit elsewhere, I doubt your dealer would be as helpful this time.
Good luck.
P.S. You may call the next line "Most stupid comment" again, but it is true, it did happen.
A while back, I believed there was something wrong with my IEMs, sound was dull and muffled.
I got my ears vacuumed (by a proffessional), a week later, I thought my IEM's were too bright!
Best Hifi deal I ever got! (ear cleaning).

Makafuni

two headphones having same issue with same amp, DAC and listener, is difficult to accept.
If anything, Hifiman do match their drivers, just about anyone who has measured them have reported very close matching of drivers.
Look for the culprit elsewhere, I doubt your dealer would be as helpful this time.
Good luck.
P.S. You may call the next line "Most stupid comment" again, but it is true, it did happen.
A while back, I believed there was something wrong with my IEMs, sound was dull and muffled.
I got my ears vacuumed (by a proffessional), a week later, I thought my IEM's were too bright!

cheapmessiah

An example.

I have some options

are you using them on the Ifi stack? The volume pot is quite terrible and you might have the channel imbalance there, if you havent done it yet, try to use the highest gain setting and maybe avoid the top volume position.

Also, how are you measuring the imbalance?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
are you using them on the Ifi stack? The volume pot is quite terrible and you might have the channel imbalance there, if you havent done it yet, try to use the highest gain setting and maybe avoid the top volume position.

Lowest gain, surely, to get further round the clock on the pot?

cheapmessiah

Lowest gain, surely, to get further round the clock on the pot?
Depends, lowest if you want to use them on low volume avoiding the lowest sector of the pot travel, highest to use on high volume and not be in the top most position of the pot, i found my zen can to be a little bit imbalanced at that position too.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Can you give more info about this. I use Ifi stack and haven't noticed any imbalance. At lowest volume it gives out sound to the right channel first and then left channel came in to play very quick. Better channel balance at low volumes than THX789 amp. I also measured it with my smartphone and it looks good. Ifi recommends 12 o'clock position though i don't go that high generally.

odyo

An example.

I have some options

Maybe they send you the same pair ? You told them to open the box right ?

Makafuni

Good luck.
I know, it must be in my system or the cable

Sry just got a little offended by your suggestion on my tinitus ;) I'm pretty sure I know where I got it from. Anyways I've tried the exact same thing you describe. I got my ears cleansed once. It was kind of gross what came out -no further details ;) But it was quite an upgrade from an audiophile perspective.
In this situation I think I've eliminated that factor.

cheapmessiah

Can you give more info about this. I use Ifi stack and haven't noticed any imbalance. At lowest volume it gives out sound to the right channel first and then left channel came in to play very quick. Better channel balance at low volumes than THX789 amp. I also measured it with my smartphone and it looks good. Ifi recommends 12 o'clock position though i don't go that high generally.
Theres not much about it other than what you said and me noticing that at the very top there is some imbalance too in my unit, i usually listen to music on my 400i 2020 on +18db, 90% volume, and oratory1990 EQ with -5 to -8.5db preamp gain. And yes, i do violently abuse my eardrums.

Makafuni

Maybe they send you the same pair ? You told them to open the box right ?
I'm actually pretty sure they did. though I won't speculate or go any further in to that. as I can't prove it, And as I've found out, it could be/seems to come down to the cable.

Makafuni

If multiple sources feeding the amp display the same channel imbalance, then it is probably the amp. Perhaps I'm not understanding you or your setup.
I normally go from Tidal>Roon>ZenDac>ZenCan> HP. I've tried going straight in the mac's output with same result suggesting it's not the amp. (i know it has imbalance issues and trid different gain and volume settings with no succes.

odyo

+18db, 90% volume
That's insane. I'm generally 0db gain around 9 o'clock lol. I even use -10db preamp with my Ananda though it's too sensitive headphone. 6db gain 1 o'clock is probably max i do for hype. It actually depends on my mood, listening hour, my sleep etc... I increase the volume at the end of my listening session for 1 or 2 songs.

I don't go above 12 often so i don't know if there is an imbalance there. Generally amps have imbalance at lower volumes (around 9 o'clock).

Top Bottom