• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Arya Review (headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 56 18.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 135 45.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 97 32.3%

• Total voters

migo77

Hi @amirm! I've two questions:
1. can you describe sound-stageing difference between Arya and you DCA Stealth please?
2. Is tested Arya unit that one with Stealth magnets or older V2 version?

Thank you!

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think all those "window design" models from hifiman sound nice and distinguished enough from the rest of planar headphones, which is a good thing.

however, I really wonder, are there many planar headphones that don't suffer with longevity issues or QC problems? I've heard problems from audeze to hifiman to mrspeaker (before they changed the name to DCA) and some more. It almost makes me think that there'll always be some sort of inherent issues with planar designs.

I would really love to be enlightened in this subject.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Arya (although not the recent revision - hate these multiple revisions without a name change - they could just call them V1, V2 etc.
If you think about it, they both take to EQ very well, but Arya to me is way more comfortable than anything Audieze ever made, it's also completely open - I mean, take them off your head and use them as speakers kind of open :D
I can wear them all day long and be completely comfortable (and I in fact do that very often).
Audezes are built like tanks though - but I'm happy with the BQ of my Aryas - and I don't abuse my stuff so don't see any issues coming up in the future.

So overall, I would say the experience is better with the Aryas - but I am biased as hell, they are my go-to phones.
I don't have the Aryas, but have owned the LCD X's since 2015. Always eq'd them, and always loved them. In terms of soundstage, they're not as large a space as my HD 800's. Kind of like the difference between an auditorium and a small jazz club, IMHO. If they Aryas are more like the HD800s, then comparing them to the LCD X's is apples and oranges.

Lazerbeard

One thing Arya really shines at is gaming. It blows my other headphones out of the water for 3D space, maybe with the Koss electrostats somewhat trading blows.

Funny you posted this review when I have been taking a long break from my Arya after getting them summer 2020.
That's actually why I got these haha. I do listen to music while I work but these are primarily movie/game headphones for me. I wanted something with excellent spatial qualities and pretty good performance against the harman target.

I'll definitely say since I got the Aryas I started to listen to music at work more though, the comfort of the big earcups is big for me. I always feel like my ears are brushing up against the drivers, but not with these.

Also for those wondering, that is the "stealth magnets" version. It comes with a little marketing card telling you all about them, and how they're supposed to remove distortion. I guess they missed a spot according to Amir's measurements but overall I was happy with them before I sent them over and I can't wait to hear them with EQ.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Looks too bright for me

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's the measurement fixture doing this, and not only at 10kHz. Just ignore everything above 8kHz.
Did you ever notice Tyll's measurements always had a (broader) peak there ?
That's because he used a different test fixture (and incorrect compensation).

Last edited:

Mattx

I would really appreciate it if @amirm would inform us whether he is undertaking steps to determine which version of the Arya was reviewed as "2021 edition" is not really clear to me as several versions have been sold in 2021. Or is it undeterminable at this stage? Maybe it could be determined via the serial number?

Imho, without this information, the review loses a lot of value and doesn't help as much as it could with a purchase decision..

AFAIK, other reviews stated that the Stealth Version was less "bright" than the v1/v2 editions. Therefore I'm somewhat inclined to think this review is done with a v1/v2 version. However if it is the Stealth that would mean that the v1/v2's would be even "brighter".

Many thanks.

Skinner001

I would really appreciate it if @amirm would inform us whether he is undertaking steps to determine which version of the Arya was reviewed as "2021 edition" is not really clear to me as several versions have been sold in 2021. Or is it undeterminable at this stage? Maybe it could be determined via the serial number?

Imho, without this information, the review loses a lot of value and doesn't help as much as it could with a purchase decision..

AFAIK, other reviews stated that the Stealth Version was less "bright" than the v1/v2 editions. Therefore I'm somewhat inclined to think this review is done with a v1/v2 version. However if it is the Stealth that would mean that the v1/v2's would be even "brighter".

Many thanks.
As @kion explained earlier, Amir weighed them in at 430 g and therefore this is the stealth magnet edition.

I have an older version, and allthough I can be quite sensitive to treble peaks, I have not had issues with the Arya. Overall, one would say they're on the brighter side but without murderous peaks for me.

migo77

As @kion explained earlier, Amir weighed them in at 430 g and therefore this is the stealth magnet edition.

I have an older version, and allthough I can be quite sensitive to treble peaks, I have not had issues with the Arya. Overall, one would say they're on the brighter side but without murderous peaks for me.
And lower impedance indicates that too...

Luke Lemke

Thanks for the review! I have a HE-6 SE (adorama version). Has anyone compared the Arya vs. the HE-6SE? Would it be worth it to "upgrade" the HE-6SE to the Arya?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review! I have a HE-6 SE (adorama version). Has anyone compared the Arya vs. the HE-6SE? Would it be worth it to "upgrade" the HE-6SE to the Arya?
Well. Amir has reviewed both (well the He6 SE v1, not the V2 Adorama) so read both reviews .I think he would overall rate the HE6 higher but guess would say the Arya spatial properties post EQ are better.

Sidegrade more than upgrade I would have thought.

Lazerbeard

Many thanks.
They're my headphones, they're the newest revision with the stealth magnets. I ordered directly from HIFIMAN's website to make sure I got the latest revision.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Well. Amir has reviewed both (well the He6 SE v1, not the V2 Adorama) so read both reviews .I think he would overall rate the HE6 higher but guess would say the Arya spatial properties post EQ are better.

Adorama also had a Version 1 of the HE6-se with the suspension strap, I own a pair. That's why I will not buy anymore HiFiMan headphones, can't keep track of what the hell anybody gets.
Plus the HE6-se V1 or whatever the F they are sound great anyway.

Lazerbeard

I read the HE6SE reviews a lot before picking up the Aryas and I came to this conclusion as well. HE6SE seems like it behaves really well against the Harman target but it doesn't quite have the spatial qualities of the Arya. My logic was that I can EQ to get to target (and thankfully, these are close and take EQ well) but I'm unaware of any way to get the spatial qualities and that was what I was looking for. Both seem like excellent headphones though so after putting the money down on either it'd be hard for me to have the appetite to go after the other.

Also, the spatial qualities have no objective measurements (RTINGS tries) so if things sound appropriately separated and away from your head in a way you like, there's no way to prove that the Aryas are any better than the HE6SE in that regard.

Vovan

Hello guys,

I am planning on buying the new Arya V3 with stealth magnets on Black Friday (hopefully some deals will come up).
Could you please advise on DAC + AMP for up to $700 for them?
I mostly listen to instrumental (mainly guitar) music with occasional vocals, everything from jazz to djent.
Will be also using them for movies.

Thanks!

Lazerbeard

I'm using a basic schitt stack with them (magni heresy/modi) and they have enough power to drive them on low gain easily. I'm unsure what you get for more money as the measurements show that those shouldn't add any audible distortion.

mrbungle

Hello guys,

I am planning on buying the new Arya V3 with stealth magnets on Black Friday (hopefully some deals will come up).
Could you please advise on DAC + AMP for up to $700 for them?
I mostly listen to instrumental (mainly guitar) music with occasional vocals, everything from jazz to djent.
Will be also using them for movies.

Thanks!
Topping EX5 if you want a single unit and in case Bluetooth would be handy for movies. I’m using the Dx7 Pro with the Arya V2 and it’s great. Connected to Raspberry Pi 4 for Roon and to Apple TV via Bluetooth. The EX5 is cheaper and more than sufficient.

Vovan

Sorry I forgot to mention a few additional details.

1. Would prefer AKM DACs. Somehow I wasn't really happy with a few ES90xx I had a chance to listen to.
2. I would prefer both DAC and amp to be balanced. From my limited and very subjective experience with Ananda and Topping A50s (which was only half-balanced and I don't have it anymore anyway) it does make difference in sound quality.
3. I will also use the amp with 250 ohm DT 770 pro for guitar practicing / recording.

Thanks

Top Bottom