• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Ananda Review (headphone)

tothereIwent

HD 600 is way cheaper and better. Only advantage of the Ananda is drivability. But for 400-500 you can get plenty of power. For me Amir did a good job in putting things in perspective and he did stick to his data and own impressions and he did for sure know that his findings would stir controversy.
Better in what terms? I have two similar headphones, the HD 650s and the Aryas. I use each one depending on my mood/genre. If I had to pick one though, it'd be the Aryas for sure, even if they were the same price.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great review. Finally someone speak about the flaws of this headphone. Imo 3 to 5k is not good either, not fan of harman in that area. These are amazing headphones with eq(yes its necessary in my opinion) but also overrated because of some reviewers.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I recall, it was 90dB @ 700Hz that he measures at. For further info, it took 175.4 mV to reach that volume level meaning 105.12 dB/V for voltage sensitivity. Power sensitivity was 92.34 dB/mW.

The one thing I am curious about is that the HE6SE Oratory measured was significantly more sensitive than the original HE6 at 96dB/V if I recall. I set up two Topping A50/D50s stacks and matched the voltage so they should have both been at 90dB but the HE6SE sounded significantly more quiet. I am hoping to see if maybe my HE6SE are closer to the original HE6 in sensitivity. If this is the case, there may have been a stealth revision with less gold in the traces to increase sensitivity or something. I know mine was from one of the first runs that came with the speaker amplifier adapter and suede pads. I sent that to Amir as well but I think it is just a resistor box so I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't measured. No idea on the pads as I never used them.
Would you say the 6SE is a suitable replacement for the 6? I really want a 6 but its an expensive and risky second hand market, especially with having now to pay VAT on imports from the europe in the UK- very very few second hand in the UK.

KiyPhi

Would you say the 6SE is a suitable replacement for the 6? I really want a 6 but its an expensive and risky second hand market, especially with having now to pay VAT on imports from the europe in the UK- very very few second hand in the UK.
Sound is basically identical so yes. Seems newer ones might be easier to drive than the original too, so no need for stupid high powered amps. Just make sure you are okay with that huge upper mid dip if you don't plan on using EQ. EQ a dip onto a neutral headphone and see how it sounds.

If you do plan to EQ, I would go for the Sundara or Ananda. I know the measurements here aren't superb but I honestly don't trust them very much. There was a clear sealing issue that wasn't addressed and has been shown to not exist for most people when wearing them, even people with glasses like me.

MayaTlab

I know the measurements here aren't superb but I honestly don't trust them very much. There was a clear sealing issue that wasn't addressed and has been shown to not exist for most people when wearing them, even people with glasses like me.

I don't know how many time this link will have to be provided in this thread : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#670/4012
As tested in the lower frequencies on five real humans (five measurements each) with in ear microphones.
Methodology here : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/sound-quality/frequency-response-consistency
In any way, the sealing issue seems to only affect very low frequencies below 30-40hz or so, so the Ananda's susceptibility to sealing issues isn't quite as worrisome as some other headphones.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound is basically identical so yes. Seems newer ones might be easier to drive than the original too, so no need for stupid high powered amps. Just make sure you are okay with that huge upper mid dip if you don't plan on using EQ. EQ a dip onto a neutral headphone and see how it sounds.

If you do plan to EQ, I would go for the Sundara or Ananda. I know the measurements here aren't superb but I honestly don't trust them very much. There was a clear sealing issue that wasn't addressed and has been shown to not exist for most people when wearing them, even people with glasses like me.

Ive got a 560 and really the HE6 is about the only thing missing from my collection- so I guess its probably not worth spending the dosh for the 6/6SE. I would be using EQ

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I guess its probably not worth spending the dosh for the 6/6SE. I would be using EQ

Correct.. of course... who's EQ and would that suit you.
I see EQ's being promoted here and there that differs many dB even up to 10dB which is incredibly audible even 2 or 3 in specific areas makes a lot of difference.

The 'perfectly flat result' EQ by computer generated EQ based on 1 specific test fixture is utterly .. well ... lets call it unscientific instead of the pinacle of objectivism.

Not all HE-6 are created equal. They are very heavy as well. so what EQ would one apply ? Who to trust ?

I only use headphones that bring me enjoyment and are comfy to me and usable in the circumstances they are used in.
The rest sits in drawers or cabinets waiting for... well nothing. Hate parting with them for some reason or are not worth it to me.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct.. of course... who's EQ and would that suit you.
I see EQ's being promoted here and there that differs many dB even up to 10dB which is incredibly audible even 2 or 3 in specific areas makes a lot of difference.

The 'perfectly flat result' EQ by computer generated EQ based on 1 specific test fixture is utterly .. well ... lets call it unscientific instead of the pinacle of objectivism.

Not all HE-6 are created equal. They are very heavy as well. so what EQ would one apply ? Who to trust ?

I only use headphones that bring me enjoyment and are comfy to me and usable in the circumstances they are used in.
The rest sits in drawers or cabinets waiting for... well nothing. Hate parting with them for some reason or are not worth it to me.

I would start with something that aims to get *a* HE6SE to something like Harman, plug that in, see how it compares to stock then probably knock down any major ups and downs, see how that compares to stock and full EQ then take it from there. Cant remember the last pair I used a Harman EQ on and ended up adjusting nothing. I dont like the huge bass for one.

So yes, if these arent going to bring something to the table I cant get from another pair I own, they are forgotten. I think you've said before, you like to rotate your current listening pair . I'm doing the same. Weekly rotation. Its fun. And no 2 pairs quite bring the same experience.

Chagall

Forum Donor
Here in Europe its way easier and cheaper to get hifiman planars since they have a warehouse in Poland with alot of open box deals, no custom charges like with he6se, Dan Clarks , drop models etc ...and you get to pay in USD . Payed around 500 USD so around 400 EUR at the time. I was considering the aeon closed ones which had good measurements, but it would cost about double the Ananda .

Directly from hifiman shop? Didn't know that, cool!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Whose EQ settings to trust?
In my experience, never trust one source fully.
I read quite often how people fist dip their toes into EQ. They decide on one source of measurements, try their EQ, find that it sounds bad, and quickly forget about EQ thinking that it's all garbage.
That's how it went for me and it's also how I imagine many of the "I don't do EQ" mindsets come to be.
Instead, my recommendation would be to collect every EQ profile that you can possibly find that was created by a reputable source. AutoEQ and oratory's reddit list are great sources.
Then A/B them all until you find the best one.
Measuring and EQing headphones is a tricky business and having a higher sample size increases the chances of finding that one profile that got it right.
You can even combine two profiles if you find that one best captured the bass response and another nailed the midrange/treble region, though that can be a bit of work.

D

Deleted member 27694

T
https://www.reddit.com/r/hobbydrama/comments/moapci

(In case it isn't clear this is not my post, just thought people here might be interested in it)
In this hobby there is no single source of truth. Kudos to Crinacle for always and again and again pointing that out. Measurements are good, good measurements from a guy who knows what he is doing - like Amir - are even better.

But even then YMMV - always. Look what is considered: old/new pads, slight revisions from the manufacture, difference in perfect seal, even in a gigantic xxl hp like the Ananda.

And then there is always the difference in hearing capabilities and hearing knowledge - it is just way to individual.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would start with something that aims to get *a* HE6SE to something like Harman, plug that in, see how it compares to stock then probably knock down any major ups and downs, see how that compares to stock and full EQ then take it from there. Cant remember the last pair I used a Harman EQ on and ended up adjusting nothing. I dont like the huge bass for one.

So yes, if these arent going to bring something to the table I cant get from another pair I own, they are forgotten. I think you've said before, you like to rotate your current listening pair . I'm doing the same. Weekly rotation. Its fun. And no 2 pairs quite bring the same experience.
In the past I've created EqualiserAPO config files that will change your current 2018 Harman Curve to a 2013 Harman Curve or to a 2015 Harman Curve. If you like wack those on top of your Oratory EQ profiles to simulate what it's like when the headphone is EQ'd to the different curves:
Overlay-of-Harman-over-ear-headphone-and-in-ear-monitor-curves.-1100x589.jpg

It might be a quick fix for you to tune an Oratory EQ to your liking. You'll need to use unadulterated Oratory EQ's in order for it to convert it accurately, so remove your own tinkering before trying. As you can see the different versions of the Harman Curve have different levels of bass and treble, and a few small other characteristic changes. In Equaliser APO you'd simply have Oratory's EQ config file activated, then you'd activate one of the following config files too, which is what converts it to either the 2013 or 2015 Harman Curve - so you'd have two config files in EqualiserAPO active whilst you're doing your listening tests.

Attachments

• Harman 2018 to 2015.txt
    130 bytes · Views: 136
  • Harman 2018 to 2013.txt
    224 bytes · Views: 128
Last edited:

crinacle

Reviewer
An extra data point for the effects of broken/suboptimal seal on a Hifiman planar:

HE1000 V2 sealed.jpg

HE1000 V2 decoupled.jpg

Sealed vs decoupled THD.jpg

Notes:
  • THD values in the legend of the first two graphs are at 30Hz.
  • The headphone used in this example is the Hifiman HE1000 V2, both measurements of sealed and decoupled are also in my database for those who want a comparison.
  • The "front volume decoupled" example here is an extreme case where the cups are literally a few cm away from the ears in a K1000-type configuration. In your typical "suboptimal seal" situation the mechanical driver resonance would be a couple decades of Hz lower and also lower in magnitude.
  • Hifiman (teardrop) headphones are generally pretty resistant to head placement variation due to cup shape and size, at least in comparison to Abyss planars or smaller-cup dynamic headphones.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
(Increased distortion when not sealed properly)

phoenixsong

An extra data point for the effects of broken/suboptimal seal on a Hifiman planar:

Notes:
  • THD values in the legend of the first two graphs are at 30Hz.
  • The headphone used in this example is the Hifiman HE1000 V2, both measurements of sealed and decoupled are also in my database for those who want a comparison.
  • The "front volume decoupled" example here is an extreme case where the cups are literally a few cm away from the ears in a K1000-type configuration. In your typical "suboptimal seal" situation the mechanical driver resonance would be a couple decades of Hz lower and also lower in magnitude.
  • Hifiman (teardrop) headphones are generally pretty resistant to head placement variation due to cup shape and size, at least in comparison to Abyss planars or smaller-cup dynamic headphones.
With an extra sub bass boost to counter the roll off, I can see how its bass distortion will take an even greater hit

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the past I've created EqualiserAPO config files that will change your current 2018 Harman Curve to a 2013 Harman Curve or to a 2015 Harman Curve. If you like wack those on top of your Oratory EQ profiles to simulate what it's like when the headphone is EQ'd to the different curves:
View attachment 123374
It might be a quick fix for you to tune an Oratory EQ to your liking. You'll need to use unadulterated Oratory EQ's in order for it to convert it accurately, so remove your own tinkering before trying. As you can see the different versions of the Harman Curve have different levels of bass and treble, and a few small other characteristic changes. In Equaliser APO you'd simply have Oratory's EQ config file activated, then you'd activate one of the following config files too, which is what converts it to either the 2013 or 2015 Harman Curve - so you'd have two config files in EqualiserAPO active whilst you're doing your listening tests.

Cheers - I'll stick with where I have them now. I am probably dialling the bass lift to more 2013 than 15/17 or even less . Less bothered about hitting a target than it sounding "right" to me. Plus I have already messed a few sets up with non stock pads anyway buggering up any chance of hitting Harman at all.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems to me there are 2 main uses for any headphone measurements:

1. A guide for what to audition/ buy
2. A guide for how to EQ when you have them.

At the point where you own them and have an EQ that works - another set of measurements that contradicts the ones you've previously used may cause you to adjust your eq out of curiosity but other than that, its not going to change much about how you enjoy the cans.

Seems pretty simple to me - if you EQ based on Amir's measurements and the lowest end is not to taste, dial it back or add more. Likewise any of the other measurements floating around. As many others have said, just another data point.

A far more important factor for me than the FR, phase and distortion measurements is the comfort/ wearability factor. I know I subconsciously avoid cans that dont sit well for me and that definitely colours my perception of the overall performance. EG- I struggle with the HD6.. fit on my ears so I loaned them out indefinitely- I just didnt want them on my head more than 30 minutes. For the same reason I am really not interested in the K371- I know they wont feel right. .

If I was in the market for another sub £1000 pair of open planars , I would still think about the Ananda based on this review. I would make sure I could return them easily though and dont think I would consider second hand.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
(Increased distortion when not sealed properly)
Yes, which is logical as without the pressurisation of the sealed volume the driver makes higher excursion at lower frequencies, it is the same with loudspeaker woofers used without an enclosure.

olimon0

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Hifiman Ananda open-back, planar magnetic headphone. It was kindly sent to me by a member and costs US $700 on Amazon including Prime shipping (retail $999).

Conclusions
The focus with Hifiman Ananda seems to be "big is good." I agree with that especially when combined with low weight. There is something really nice about wearing two 6 inch speakers suspended on each side of your ear. Alas, many compromises were made in execution of this headphone causing roughness in frequency response in addition to macro tonality issues. Fortunately correcting the tonality also helped with distortion factors but in my opinion, not fully.

If you have this headphone, then I suggest trying the EQ as I have proposed and tune to it taste. The result should be quite satisfying and unique. If you don't have it, I can't recommend that you buy the Hifiman Ananda. It just has too many flaws which I feel the company could have dealt with prior to releasing it.

Strongly disagree. I have listened to some headphones in my life (HD 660s, AKG 701, Hifiman Sundara, Beyer dt 1990, Beyer T5p and more ) and the Anadas are a fantastic pair of headphones. Its the first pair i own that dont need some EQ ou of the box. The treble is just perfect for me (ok coming from beyer maybe thats the reason) cant hear any sibilance or other things that bother me. In comparison to the Sunandas there is plenty of "subbass
rumble" and i dont see taht the Anandas lacking something in that region.

Top Bottom