• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HiFi Wireless System to play audio files from PC/NAS

excelsius

Looking for a wireless setup or speakers to play 30K+ audio files from a Windows PC and laptops (mostly APE, FLAC, some DSD and PCM). Looking for following properties:
  • Min 24bit 96 kHz end-to-end bit-perfect wireless support (ideally 192 kHz, but not necessary)
  • 3500+ kbps bitrate support
  • No wires or additional technology other than power cord and a wireless router
  • Loud enough to crank up classical music
  • Remote control to change volume, navigate songs
  • Roon support
  • Ideally multiple speaker support and ability to play different music in different rooms

My research showed that bluetooth technology is ruled out and I need to stick with WiFi technology. Seems like can either go with a wirless amp (like Cambridge Audio CXA81) or wireless speakers for fewer wires. I mostly listen to classical, but wide variety of genres 10% of the time, except heavy metal. Being able to play directly from NAS while PC is off would be a plus. I'm a heavy foobar user, but recently found out about Roon and it looks quite promising. Budget is under $3K, but can go somewhat higher for major improvements.

So far, the main option I've discovered is KEF LS50 Wireless II (under $2K used on ebay). I realize I might have to add their sub later on. I also wanted to get a smaller pair for my office, likely the KEF LSX II.

Since this is a major purchase, I wanted to get the opinion of other audiophiles here before going for it. Maybe there are better alternatives I'm missing?

OP
E

excelsius

Bumping this thread. For such a busy forum like this and zero responses, I was wondering if there is something wrong with my post or if it's not in the correct sub? Hopefully not out of line asking about HiFi wireless because it seemed like it's achievable with the current tech.

JktHifi

I found the best wireless is AirPlay from Apple because it was given to manufacturers for free to implement.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A multiroom will require several end points,I have Sonos system in the house,but I would go for the new NAD CS1 in my main system now,or Wiim pro (I think Is not supporting Roon for the moment, I don't use Roon so not sure).

jhenderson0107

I run both Roon and Logitech Slimserver on a headless PC hosting ~1500 albums with ~23000 tracks. This relatively low-end PC is also used for numerous other tasks such as video surveillance and it is very responsive for audio server functionality. I've used Slimserver for over 10 years, only last year adding Roon. Each have unique capabilities, so I retain both.

Audio is served to five raspberry Pi4 endpoints, each running DietPi feeding a DAC driving active loudspeakers or headphone amplifiers. DietPi provides bit-perfect Roon, Softsqueeze and Airplay2 client functionality. I have successfully used the clients wirelessly or wired, but currently all are wired. If the Wiim Pro adds Roon support, it might be preferrable to the Pi4s for a new installation. But the Pi is more extensible than most stock streamer endpoints. For example, a particular endpoint could be re-flashed to run CamillaDsp feeding an Ultralite mk5 to drive a pair of 5-way active loudspeakers.

I prefer chamber and solo instrumental music as rendered by Genelec or Linkwitz LX-521s speakers or Sennheiser HD800s/AKG K1000 headphones.

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Bluesound ecosystem for years.
Works fine for me (although it is more stable with cabled LAN. But any system is).

zork

You might be happy with Formation Duo from Bowers & Wilkins
You will be on 2x 125W and you can always add their sub
Best wishes

TimDH

Forum Donor
I’ve had the Kef LSX for several years as our kitchen speaker . Very happy with Roon, tidal, etc. and they look good too

Top Bottom