• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 PRO Measurements (DAC Dongle)

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the record: the S9 Pro will be soon replaced by the S9 Pro Plus.
View attachment 324439View attachment 324440View attachment 324441

Hidizs proposed to send me a sample for review, that will be published later (I mean: later ) this month.
I don't suppose you're anywhere near to publishing?

OK1

In which case, Prynhawn da (I'm in S W wales)
I'm in Tredegar, Blaenau Gwent, and apologies - I speak no Welsh ( wish I could!)

OK1

In which case, Prynhawn da (I'm in S W wales)

1. Martha
2. Yes, though the price has increased from $69 to $79
3. None that I know of.
4. Presumably.

I also have a Truthear Shio, but even on BAL it's not really powerful enough to drive my Truthear zero red IEMs. I don't think the Martha will either based on the specs.
Thanks for the reply to the questions. Highly appreciated.

Bernard23

I'm in Tredegar, Blaenau Gwent, and apologies - I speak no Welsh ( wish I could!)
Nor do I despite originating from Cardiff. Lived in Ystrad Mynach for 20 odd years until moving to Pembs a decade ago.

Reactions: OK1

OK1

Was. Got issues with my (pre-prod?) sample that needed firmware update recently. So I have to conduct new measurements...
Have you been able to re-measure after the firmware update?

Bernard23

Have you been able to re-measure after the firmware update?
Fwiw it sounds great with my S23 ultra and UAPP. It goes louder than the Truthear Shio that I've got despite similar specs. It doesn't drain the battery alarmingly quickly.

Reactions: OK1

Ten Protons

Hello. I have a hidizs s9 pro DAC. Periodically, once a minute or at the start of video/audio playback, a light click is heard. What can it be, how can I get rid of it?
Windows usb suspend option is disabled.
I connect it to my asus zephyrus g15 in two different ports. I tested with two headphones dt 700 pro x and Moondrop Variations.

Last edited:

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Hello. I have a hidizs s9 pro DAC. Periodically, once a minute or at the start of video/audio playback, a light click is heard. What can it be, how can I get rid of it?
Windows usb suspend option is disabled.
I connect it to my asus zephyrus g15 in two different ports. I tested with two headphones dt 700 pro x and Moondrop Variations.
Mine has clicks every now and then as well.. I think it's part of how it switches frequencies or something

Ten Protons

Mine has clicks every now and then as well.. I think it's part of how it switches frequencies or something
I don't think it has anything to do with sample rates - I have one format fixed in my system.
I'm in touch with hidizs support now, and hopefully I'll get some information on Monday.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
I don't think it has anything to do with sample rates - I have one format fixed in my system.
I'm in touch with hidizs support now, and hopefully I'll get some information on Monday.
Good point.. it might actually mute the output internally or something if it's not playing anything. Interested to hear what they say.

Ten Protons

Good point.. it might actually mute the output internally or something if it's not playing anything. Interested to hear what they say.
Please write the full configuration of your system so that we can have more complete information and draw some conclusions together.
My system:
Windows 10 Home, Asus zephyrus g15, AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Please write the full configuration of your system so that we can have more complete information and draw some conclusions together.
My system:
Windows 10 Home, Asus zephyrus g15, AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS.
The clicks happens on MacOS, Windows 10, Linux, and Android for me. It only clicks when audio stops or starts playing.

Ten Protons

Here is the answer from hidizs support:
Our technician says that if the sound is not loud, the S9Pro is within the normal range.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Here is the answer from hidizs support:
Our technician says that if the sound is not loud, the S9Pro is within the normal range.
That really made me smile. It will click and pop when ever the power stage is re initiated disreging if switching rails are used or not for the change and arguably even more if they are if it's not muted until init is done and usually it isn't and that's on anything and not a Hidizs dongle DAC. This is especially high on physical on off switching. Cure is constant one or two output frequencies so that it doesn't switch or do it less often. Battery powered ones so that they don't switch off physically when you for example restart PC and of course that you disconnect/power down the power amplifier/headphones before switch the DAC/preamp of and other way around on switching it on (PC, then DAC/preamp and power amplifier last).

Ten Protons

That really made me smile. It will click and pop when ever the power stage is re initiated disreging if switching rails are used or not for the change and arguably even more if they are if it's not muted until init is done and usually it isn't and that's on anything and not a Hidizs dongle DAC. This is especially high on physical on off switching. Cure is constant one or two output frequencies so that it doesn't switch or do it less often. Battery powered ones so that they don't switch off physically when you for example restart PC and of course that you disconnect/power down the power amplifier/headphones before switch the DAC/preamp of and other way around on switching it on (PC, then DAC/preamp and power amplifier last).
Yes, I've thought about it, but how to implement it? For example, sending a constant signal?

Although there are no such clicks on my Topping DX3 Pro+ stationary DAC.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yes, I've thought about it, but how to implement it? For example, sending a constant signal?

Although there are no such clicks on my Topping DX3 Pro+ stationary DAC.
Same you do when using convolver by resasasempling all to 96 KHz. Or to avoid resasasempling artifacts to 88200 Hz and 96000 Hz. Tho you do it from other reason with convolver (to minimise the lag). Topping probably mute lines until it's done and that's something device developers should do, it's not something you can implement on your own. Physical on/off you can't do anything about on your own and it's very big problem with high gain power amplifier (working at high gain) especially when you leave them like that because high gain cuts during DSP correction implementation on short power cuts (electricity going off for short period of time). Actually you can implement UPS for PC and power bank pass trough in case of DAC amp would be enough. Most deacent power amps at least have coming on delay implemented but that won't help with PC that needs considerable more time to boot or in the case of sudden restart (kernel panic safety mechanism). Actually nothing will in that case.

Ten Protons

Same you do when using convolver by resasasempling all to 96 KHz. Or to avoid resasasempling artifacts to 88200 Hz and 96000 Hz. Tho you do it from other reason with convolver (to minimise the lag). Topping probably mute lines until it's done and that's something device developers should do, it's not something you can implement on your own. Physical on/off you can't do anything about on your own and it's very big problem with high gain power amplifier (working at high gain) especially when you leave them like that because high gain cuts during DSP correction implementation on short power cuts (electricity going off for short period of time). Actually you can implement UPS for PC and power bank pass trough in case of DAC amp would be enough. Most deacent power amps at least have coming on delay implemented but that won't help with PC that needs considerable more time to boot or in the case of sudden restart (kernel panic safety mechanism). Actually nothing will in that case.
I understand your point. I always have a 44100/16 sampler in my system. There are clicks. I've tried all available sampling methods and the clicks have not disappeared. Yes, most likely it is some kind of nuance with the power supply of the DAC itself.

Ten Protons

There are DACs with built-in batteries. Do I understand correctly that a constant independent power supply prevents clicks when turning the music on and off? Who has dealt with such DACs?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do I understand correctly that a constant independent power supply prevents clicks when turning the music on and off?
No. It's not necessarily the power supply that causes the clicks.

It's also how the DAC reacts to changes in the audio data stream.

Top Bottom