• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hi :) i want to buy a DAC for plugging headphones into TV wired

Mysterybug009

hey so i have my headphones that are bluetooth but i find it annoying to move around and away from tv for small amounts of time and then come back and reconnect the bluetooth and what not. so i wanted a way that i could plug my headphones into my tv wired, but they only have a digital optical output and no headphone jack. i heard DACS can improve sound and tvs come with naturally not the best ones, so i just need a dac that can be plugged into my tv with the digital audio and then have a headphone jack to plug my headphones into.

do DACS support surround sound or dolby atmos for headphones? just a side thought...

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here are some Toslink in -> Headphone out solutions below $200:

-Sound Blaster G3
-Sound Blaster X4
-Topping DX3Pro+
-SMSL C200
-SMSL DL200
-SMSL M300 SE
-FiiO K5 Pro
-FiiO K7
-FiiO K11
-Sabaj A10d

Most of these only support Stereo LPCM input.

Here's a list of DACs that also support decoding Dolby Digital:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/headphones-for-films.48163/post-1727528

The only DAC+Headphone Amp that I know of, that's capable of decoding Dolby Atmos is the $2.5K Arvus H1-D.

If you want to listen to Atmos surround sound via headphones, then you're much better off investing in an iPhone, Apple TV, and a pair of AirPods Pro or AirPods Max.

OP
M

Mysterybug009

-Sound Blaster G3
-Sound Blaster X4
-Topping DX3Pro+
-SMSL C200
-SMSL DL200
-SMSL M300 SE
-FiiO K5 Pro
-FiiO K7
-FiiO K11
-Sabaj A10d

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/headphones-for-films.48163/post-1727528

The only DAC+Headphone Amp that I know of, that's capable of decoding Dolby Atmos is the $2.5K Arvus H1-D.

If you want to listen to Atmos surround sound via headphones, then you're much better off investing in an iPhone, Apple TV, and a pair of AirPods Pro or AirPods Max.
is dolby atmos for headphones even good at all? i know that on the xbox series x they give you the option, just wasnt sure if it was worth going for.

OP
M

Mysterybug009

-Sound Blaster G3
-Sound Blaster X4
-Topping DX3Pro+
-SMSL C200
-SMSL DL200
-SMSL M300 SE
-FiiO K5 Pro
-FiiO K7
-FiiO K11
-Sabaj A10d

also is the sound improvement even worth it for say the dx3pro+ at 200 euros, i just want to plug some headphones into the tv wired.

staticV3

Master Contributor
is dolby atmos for headphones even good at all? i know that on the xbox series x they give you the option, just wasnt sure if it was worth going for.
I haven't experienced it myself yet, but other ASR members were very impressed by it using Apple's implementation.

also is the sound improvement even worth it for say the dx3pro+ at 200 euros, i just want to plug some headphones into the tv wired.
The DX3Pro+ can play louder than, say, the Sound Blaster G3, but the sound quality will be basically the same.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Is dolby atmos for headphones even good at all?

I've never heard it, but it's a matter of taste. You can't get true surround with headphones (unless you have head-tracking headphones). Most people don't even get a realistic stereo soundstage illusion with headphones! Headphone Soundstage Survey

I've tried the old "Dolby Headphone" and did give a more "spacious sound" but I'm not a big headphone guy and I wasn't impressed enough to start using it. Some people say it gives a true surround effect but with a test-disc I didn't hear the rear channels coming from behind (I didn't expect to... The sound is only coming from the left & right earpieces and when you turn your head the sound turns with you).

OP
M

Mysterybug009

I haven't experienced it myself yet, but other ASR members were very impressed by it using Apple's implementation.

The DX3Pro+ can play louder than, say, the Sound Blaster G3, but the sound quality will be basically the same.

i like the Sound Blaster X4, because i can use them with my headphones or a 7.1 channel stereo setup in the future, correct? and there 150$. the smsl c200 have amazing ratings at 210 euros. for a value proposition the SMSL M300 SE seem pretty good at 120 euros. would i notice a difference between the SMSL M300SE and say the SMSL C200? i only have a pair of sony wh-1000xm4 headphones not studio headphones or anything like that.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You might also consider wireless headphones that don't use BT as they generally have better range. An example would be the Sennheiser RS 175:

OP
M

Mysterybug009

You might also consider wireless headphones that don't use BT as they generally have better range. An example would be the Sennheiser RS 175:

ya eh unfortunately i have way too many headphones right now, i have these sony's and a pair of sennheisers that are over the ear, then i have a wireless earbuds that are for going to the gym.

Top Bottom