• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can Anybody Assist With my Optical Issue?

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Very important info on that linked Amazon product page:
box.png

OP
dmusgr

dmusgr

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As we know the TOSLINK standard is a joke, its a 40 year old standard, it does not officially support192/24, the cable is plastic and it's limited to 1~2m. There are references to higher speeds and distances but in practice no one seems to bother.

For about the same price as a TOSLINK cable you can buy an OM1 grade cable with SC terminations. Imagine a new standard built around cheap glass optical fibre.
Max speed around 200Mb/s.
4 x 768/32, 8 x 384/32, 16 x 192/32 etc. Would make it a viable standard for small studios.
A data/control channel. Could be as simple as allowing a streamer to signal remote speakers to go into standby.

Optionally, add 850/1300 SFW. Would support a model of remote units containing both ADCs and DACs communicating with a central controller and DSP. AES67 is overly complicated and I think part proprietary

Enough of my daydreaming, just taking the existing TOSLINK standard and using SC connectors, OM1 cable and cheap lasers would be a big improvement.

radix

Major Contributor
As we know the TOSLINK standard is a joke, its a 40 year old standard, it does not officially support192/24, the cable is plastic and it's limited to 1~2m. There are references to higher speeds and distances but in practice no one seems to bother.

For about the same price as a TOSLINK cable you can buy an OM1 grade cable with SC terminations. Imagine a new standard built around cheap glass optical fibre.
Max speed around 200Mb/s.
4 x 768/32, 8 x 384/32, 16 x 192/32 etc. Would make it a viable standard for small studios.
A data/control channel. Could be as simple as allowing a streamer to signal remote speakers to go into standby.

Optionally, add 850/1300 SFW. Would support a model of remote units containing both ADCs and DACs communicating with a central controller and DSP. AES67 is overly complicated and I think part proprietary

Enough of my daydreaming, just taking the existing TOSLINK standard and using SC connectors, OM1 cable and cheap lasers would be a big improvement.

There's already ADAT Lightpipe (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAT_Lightpipe), which many pro interfaces support (it's selectable on the TOSLINK ports, or rather TOSLINK is selectable on the ADAT ports). It can do 2 channels at 192k/24, or up to 8 channels at 48k. I suspect anyone who wants more would just go DANTE of 1G or 10G ethernet.

Top Bottom