• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with the different Mogami cables for analogue

johnah5

Hi I need to connect out of the DAC to the amp and can only use S/PDIF (RCA) connection.
Mogami has so many cable like 2534, 2497 and what I have is 2964!
Is one better than another sonically? My 2964 cable says "Hi Def 75ohm" which is the same as the digital cable I am using.
Should I get an "analogue" cable or is the ohm rating only important to digital connections?

Thanks
jh

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Should I get an "analogue" cable or is the ohm rating only important to digital connections?

Only important to digital connections. And S/PDIF is so rugged that it usually doesn't matter.

Analogue line level uses impedance bridging instead of impedance matching, and therefore 2964 should work perfectly fine.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Mogami W2964 is an excellent 75Ω cable for use as an S/PDIF interconnect. The S/PDIF spec is fairly clear but the implementation in devices can be wide-ranging with signal voltages and impedances far outside of specifications yet they still seem to work. You'll be fine with what you have.

OP
J

johnah5

Mogami W2964 is an excellent 75Ω cable for use as an S/PDIF interconnect. The S/PDIF spec is fairly clear but the implementation in devices can be wide-ranging with signal voltages and impedances far outside of specifications yet they still seem to work. You'll be fine with what you have.
Thank you so no need to think about 75ohm rating when dealing with analogue signal? If the cable is working all is good?
JH

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
If the cable is working all is good?

Yes. Line level audio signal are far less demanding than s/pdif (much higher bandwidth), and on well designed gear the inputs are high impedance, meaning that practically any coax cable with sufficient shielding will function flawlessly in terms of audibility.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you so no need to think about 75ohm rating when dealing with analogue signal? If the cable is working all is good?
JH
IIRC it was a spec for analog component video rca cables.....

sam_adams

Major Contributor
JH

The 75Ω rating is the characteristic impedance of the cable—which would be of some concern for S/PDIF signal frequencies—but since the spec is so poorly followed and the short distances involved won't have much effect on the signal integrity, any cheap RCA interconnect still would work. As before, the cable you have is more than adequate for your needs so you needn't worry about it.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Shield cable don't really need to worry about. 2497 another shield cable. 2534 mic cable terminated like RCA. For me, still like single core.

Top Bottom