• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with specific IEMs causing headache

Philip Frankson

Hello, could you help me with this please?
I just received the Zero Red and after a short time using them I start to feel the head heavy, after a while it ends in a headache.

The same thing happened to me with the 7hz zero and TE Hexa. Someone told me it could be build up pressure (I have tried several tips but it did not solve the problem) then I tried using them without connecting for 1 hour and it didn't give me any problems, I connected them and the discomfort began.

Currently I use my Waner without any problem during long sessions of use, before I used the CCA CRA and Chu and they didn't give me any problems either. I'd like to identify what specific feature may be causing the problem so that I can take that into account for future purchases.

Thank you for reading

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello and welcome.

First place to look at would be the ear tip fits in my opinion. I struggle a lot with that. If the tip does seal well, you lose a lot of the low frequencies, and high frequencies dominate, everything sounds bright, and after a while starts it causing headache. At least for me. What worked for me was foam tips. I bought a few, figured out what is the best size for me, and never looked back. That and EQ of course.

From FR graphs, Zero seems to have a bit more energy around 4K but I am not sure if it is significant enough.

1690052314681.png

OP
P

Philip Frankson

Hello and welcome.

First place to look at would be the ear tip fits in my opinion. I struggle a lot with that. If the tip does seal well, you lose a lot of the low frequencies, and high frequencies dominate, everything sounds bright, and after a while starts it causing headache. At least for me. What worked for me was foam tips. I bought a few, figured out what is the best size for me, and never looked back. That and EQ of course.

From FR graphs, Zero seems to have a bit more energy around 4K but I am not sure if it is significant enough.

View attachment 300800

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, several have recommended me to change tips and I have tried many including foams, spinfit and all the stock ones I have. I currently wear the AZLA Sedna light short and have no problems with them.

With both the Hexa and the Zero red I tested with all the tips that I have available but it did not solve the problem. On the other hand with the Hexa I thought it could be the treble and I tried a HSQ filter but again nothing.

markanini

Major Contributor
If you exhausted all other answers, consider screening yourself for underlying tension headache. It's a condition that can have peculiar triggers, which can involve ear-adjacent muscle tissue. In that case it's easily treatable with physical therapy, and you will be less restricted with IEM choices.

BTW the CCA CRA was a very nice fitting IEM for me. Light weight and a nice weight-distribution.

OP
P

Philip Frankson

If you exhausted all other answers, consider screening yourself for underlying tension headache. It's a condition that can have peculiar triggers, which can involve ear-adjacent muscle tissue. In that case it's easily treatable with physical therapy, and you will be less restricted with IEM choices.

BTW the CCA CRA was a very nice fitting IEM for me. Light weight and a nice weight-distribution.
Interesting, thanks for the info and advice, will check that.

And yes, CRAs are very confy for me too, same with Waner's wich i enjoy most the sound signature, so for the moment i will stay with these.

OP
P

Philip Frankson

Probably down to poor ergonomics e.g. the Truthears have huge bore size
Ya, I also noticed when I opened my mouth with the Reds putting pressure on my ears even with the S tips. It's a shame, i liked the sound a lot.

markanini

Major Contributor
If you like the CCA CRAs fit and looking for a smoother allround tuning, The KZ EDA Balanced has a very similar fit. I've personally been enjoying mine since I got them. Only using some very light EQ to bring down the bass and treble, no more than 1dB.
image.png

1691430588121.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom