• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with room arrangement and acoustic treatment

renemartin

Hi, could you please help me with arrangement of my room?
I am newbie, making beats, learning mix/master and I want to do best to my room acoustic as possible.

How should I arrange my room the best? My current room is on image below. It's 3.5m (138") x 3.7m (146") x 2.6m (102").

I can re-arrange almost everything except the bed - it can goes only on the other side (left), under the window.
If my bed is a big problem, I'm able to change it for smaller bed to re-arrange properly.

What about acoustic foam, panels? Where to place them?
Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 13.52.19.png

Thx

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, this topic is highly controversial.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How should I arrange my room the best?
Assuming the speakers will be placed on the desk in the top left corner, I would swap its position with the closet in the bottom left corner, then pull it away from the wall and closer to the middle of the room in order to minimize adjacent boundary effects and mismatch in arrival times of the lateral reflections.
What about acoustic foam, panels?
They're redundant in such a small room.

ozzy9832001

I wouldn't waste any time or money hanging foam panels. They won't accomplish anything in the areas where you really will need it (bass). They are also a pain to remove and you'll have a lot of sanding and painting to remove the adhesive that's on them.

I'd personally move the bed and the dresser and setup, centered along that bottom wall, even if you have to flip the bed long wise. You really want symmetry between your side walls and that's your best way of doing it.

This would give you space to install bass traps in those corners and/or 4" panels along the side walls/ceiling.

OP
R

renemartin

I'd personally move the bed and the dresser and setup, centered along that bottom wall, even if you have to flip the bed long wise.
could you please throw me up some sketch? I don't understand how to you mean it. I got the thing about symmetry - that's what I want to reach mainly.

ozzy9832001

Definately not my best. but should give you a general idea.

Attachments

• ghetto.jpg
    ghetto.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 72
OP
R

renemartin

Definately not my best. but should give you a general idea.
Thank you.

Meanwhile I've come up with this. (actually same as yours)

Dresser (wardrobe):
What about that purple wardrobe in the upper right corner? Would it be bad if it would be tall from floor to ceiling? No bass traps can be included there then. It should be better option as my current half wall big wardrobe (190x180cm).

I can reposition my bed in left upper corner (yellow and purple dotted rectangles). I've put new/smaller bed there - would it somehow help to change my bed for smaller?

Those purple/pink things on walls are some acoustic panels. Should they go there? How to arrange those in a such room?

What do you think?
IMG_0968.PNG

ozzy9832001

That looks good. Only thing, I would point the desk out into the room and not sit against the wall. The bass gain from the wall will likely be excessive and rather un pleasent. Though, I'd measure both and see which gives you the best overall sound to your ears.

OP
R

renemartin

That looks good. Only thing, I would point the desk out into the room and not sit against the wall. The bass gain from the wall will likely be excessive and rather un pleasent. Though, I'd measure both and see which gives you the best overall sound to your ears.
Ou, I have pointed it well, as you suggest, just my poor sketching skills didn't catch it well .

So, then I could put bass traps to all corners despite the upper right corner with the dresser?

What would be the best treatment for the side walls? Acoustic panels installed on the wall?

I assume putting acoustic foam on the doors?

ozzy9832001

I'd start by treating the front corners and where the walls and ceiling meet. Those are, IMO, the most beneficial places to start. After that, I'd personally treat the front wall, especially between the 2 speakers and directly behind them, then I'd move on to the ceiling and lastly the sidewalls. Sidewalls are a matter of preference. Some like them treated, some don't. You're probably far enough away that you could add some diffusion to the rear wall.

I'd steer clear of any of those foam wedges or squares or whatnot. None of them work and they leave a mess behind.

Top Bottom