• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with Burned Nad C298 Amplifier

aravena562

Let me tell you the mistake I made. buy a nad c298 amplifier, which comes with purifi modules. I used it for half an hour and it worked perfectly. then plug it into an amp selector next to other amps I have based on coolgan for comparison. It was the worst mistake I could have made. my selector had a common ground, and I didn't read the manual for the nad c298 and didn't know that it couldn't be connected to a common ground selector. In summary, a tremendous blow and the nad amplifier stopped working, now when I turn it on the LED blinks red and of course it does not make any sound. Of course the problem is absolutely my fault and not anyone's fault, I connected it in a way that I shouldn't have. what should have gone wrong? I live in Chile, I sent it to the technical service but they are waiting for the diagnostic interface to arrive from nad for that amplifier.... I have been waiting for this interface for a month. Excuse the bad English, since my native language is Spanish.

JSmith

Master Contributor
what should have gone wrong?
A short circuit has been created by connecting the terminals to a switch with common ground. This causes a massive over current situation which has probably blown the output stage/transistors.

NAD have used an opposite polarity config in this model to reduce strain on the PSU. The left speaker terminal is probably blue not black to indicate there is no common grounding.

JSmith

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The left speaker terminal is probably blue not black to indicate there is no common grounding.
Interesting. I did not know that about the blue terminals.

lgOkxyB.jpg

OP
A

aravena562

A short circuit has been created by connecting the terminals to a switch with common ground. This causes a massive over current situation which has probably blown the output stage/transistors.

NAD have used an opposite polarity config in this model to reduce strain on the PSU. The left speaker terminal is probably blue not black to indicate there is no common grounding.

JSmith
Thanks @JSmith, indeed the terminals are blue, it was a big mistake on my part. if the output stage had failed, it is something that a technician can repair or it will involve changing all the cards in the amplifier. I am very technically ignorant, and I want to have an idea if it can be repaired at a reasonable value or I start to raise money to buy a pair of topping la90

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn! I feel your pain.
cPzpchP.jpeg

Hope this can be repaired for a few bucks.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it would be best to talk to the NAD customer support.
Either they say they repair it for a price or they repair it for free.

OP
A

aravena562

I think it would be best to talk to the NAD customer support.
Either they say they repair it for a price or they repair it for free.
it would be us$2200 for 30 minutes of music..... unfortunately I'm in Chile and their local service is quite limited. He has been with them for a month and I still do not have a diagnosis

Top Bottom