• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help Shape Our Upcoming CD Player for 2024

Hollywood_Bob

I'd like the equivalent of a BCPlayer, with good quality parts and a better display. And a remote. It has digital out, and I can get a new one for about $200 Canadian. But it was designed by an art studio and who knows what parts it has inside. You can leave the lid off when its playing, and if you want to, you can put in a CD with patterns on it that induce seizures if you watch it spinning. Fun.

Or a stripped down Shanling ET3. It's got good quality parts, a good display, and a remote, but it's ridiculously expensive in comparison to the new $38 CAN Sony DVD player I bought from Amazon.

Good quality parts, useful display, remote, digital out. I prefer top loading, but others may like a drawer.

Thats all I need. Oh, and keep the money in my pocket.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A device with 20+ buttons probably will never happen again, but it sure would bring value on day one, remotes degrade with use.
For track selection a rotating knob with push capability is sufficient, see the Tascam CD-RW series CD recorders.

Last edited:

Watire

For track selection a rotating knob with push capability is sufficient, see the Tascam CD-RW series CD recorders.
It's good enough. But why fight with a knob just to get to P.Y.T. when pushing "8" should be the end of it. The remote is your best friend.

DSJR

Major Contributor
All these facilities WILL add to cost. If it's to be cheap, I'd suggest utter simplicity but done right!

My second system Sony CDP-S1 selects tracks simply by turning a knob and it's quick enought to get there. By all means keep the interface simple and supply a nice remote that does the rest.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Take care to give it nice tactile controls and make it as responsive as possible. (Very fast reading of TOC, skipping tracks, cd text, etc).

This was a fairly basic model but the rotary track selecting dial (and clear display) were still a delight to use:
1000025457.jpg

OP
Fosi Audio

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thank you for all your suggestions. Our team has recorded everyone's recommendations and is conducting a feasibility study. Now, we would like to seek your opinions again and hope you can help us:

1. Add support for dry batteries? (to cater to the needs of those who want to use it as a portable CD player).
2. Built-in DAC, but can be bypassed by a switch?
3. Is the following output interfaces enough? optical, coaxial, 3.5mm headphone out, 3.5mm line out.
4. Support for use as a computer's CD drive? For facilitating users to rip CDs on their computers.
5. Power supply via USB-C, or use a separate power adapter with a higher voltage?
6. Support for CD text, remote control, and an LED display? (we are almost certain to support these features).

Smitty2k1

Thank you for all your suggestions. Our team has recorded everyone's recommendations and is conducting a feasibility study. Now, we would like to seek your opinions again and hope you can help us:

1. Add support for dry batteries? (to cater to the needs of those who want to use it as a portable CD player).
3. Is the following output interfaces enough? optical, coaxial, 3.5mm headphone out, 3.5mm line out.
4. Support for use as a computer's CD drive? For facilitating users to rip CDs on their computers.
5. Power supply via USB-C, or use a separate power adapter with a higher voltage?
6. Support for CD text, remote control, and an LED display? (we are almost certain to support these features).
1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No
5. USB power!
6. Yes

I think a simple, well performing desktop CD player at a good value price is missing from the market. No need to distinguish it with battery power or CD ripping.

rationaltime

Here is my opinion.

1. batteries
As long as it could run without any batteries, I don't care.

2. Built-in DAC
Without a D to A it would be a CD ROM drive not a CD player.
In my opinion then it should be able to both read and write.
I would not be interested.

3. output interfaces
I see the vocal minority has got your attention.
I would have no use for optical or coaxial output.
Where could the user go with those?
I have no objection to headphone output.
I would want stereo output (possibly with stereo mono select)
through two RCA connectors or differential output through two
6.25 mm TRS connectors (or XLR connectors).
I would like volume control on the analog output. I have a Sony
CD player that does that, both through front panel knob and remote.

I can see from your existing products chassis space is at a premium.
I guess that drives the cost. However, I consider 3.5 mm jacks unreliable.
It would be all right for headphones, but not for main output.

4. facilitating users to rip CDs on their computers
That would be a useful function.
It also implies USB output, because computers do not have optical
or coaxial input ports, and there is no point in analog transfer through
the sound card.

5. Power supply via USB-C
USB power is not available in most audio systems. However ...
Does this suggest a 5V phone charger could be used?
I could live with that. The cords are a litlle short though.
I would like a longer USB A to USB C power cord.

6. LED display
I think it is important to be able to read track number and time.
Remote control would be useful.

OP
Fosi Audio

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
For line-out interface, RCA would be a better choice, right?

BTW can anyone advise if mono output mode is necessary to be supported? (If so we may make the L channel of the RCA to be the mono output like ps1)

1708779662160.png

lovelo

Forum Donor
Salut les audiophiles,

Nous avons remarqué un intérêt croissant pour un lecteur CD parmi nos utilisateurs et nous sommes ravis d'annoncer que nous commençons son développement en 2024. À ce stade, nous définissons ses fonctionnalités de base et apprécions vraiment votre contribution. Travaillons ensemble pour donner vie à ce lecteur CD ! Vous trouverez ci-joint une première esquisse de concept pour votre examen.
Nous aimerions également connaître votre avis sur quelques aspects :
  • Selon vous, quel serait le juste prix pour ce lecteur CD ?
  • Où pensez-vous l’utiliser le plus ?
  • Une sortie TRS symétrique est-elle nécessaire pour vous connecter à des enceintes actives ?
J'ai hâte d'entendre vos idées !
419517190_397794002906645_2181884644601849765_n.jpg
419898861_397794012906644_7923436181217717996_n.jpg
419521496_397793999573312_4298457331528232976_n.jpg

DHT 845

If you have to do something, do something outstanding.
1708789427849.png
1708789559280.png

DHT 845

1708789845173.png

Robin L

Master Contributor
If you're going to make a portable CD player, then simple is best. A full digital display would be Ott, balanced connectors as well. Any modern CD player should have digital outs, preferably Toslink, Coax and USB. A rechargeable battery is to be preferred, hopefully one that is user replaceable and recharged via a USB link. As this is going to be portable, 3.5 mm connectors would be better than RCA. Built-in Bluetooth transmitter would be a useful feature. Make sure that the transport is shock-proof so that one can jog while using the player. Hopefully the price would be in the region of $100 but if it's more I wouldn't be surprised. One more thing - SACD would be beside the point. Most SACDs are hybrid so playable on all CD players and there aren't that many SACDs anyway. I've got a Sony Blu-Ray player that's SACD capable, bought used for $8, and there's only a few single layer discs in my collection where the feature is of any use. The remote should be available as an inexpensive option and most people using the player as a portable device wouldn't be using it anyway. If Bluetooth is a feature than the CD player would function as its own remote.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

1. No

2. Built-in DAC when using RCA. However, when using Optical/Coax out the DAC is by-passed and the unit is simply a transport. That's a standard feature.

3. Yes, but leaving off headphone jack would save money and most users have that feature available elsewhere. RCA, Optical and COAX would be nice.

4. Yes, USB out to support computer rip would be nice.

5. I would prefer standard plug. No need for USB power.

6. Remote control is required with detailed track selection buttons. Play, pause, skip to next track, power on/off. SCAD support would be great. If I had to choose between a display or SCAD, I would choose SCAD. Support for computer rip formats would be nice as well. High quality transport will make the difference as to whether the decide is considered junk or quality unit.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
@Fosi Audio - For me, a simple, compact CD transport with control buttons on the unit (IE not requiring use of a remote), with both coax and optical outputs, are the essential features. Simple LCD display. Keep it simple and small, sell for less than $200. As the price climbs, there is less impules on my part to change from using my full size CD decks or DVD players with optical out that I occasionally use as transports.

I'm chuckling that you referenced the Playstation PS-1 above - I have two of those units, and swap them in sometimes as CD players. I wish they were transports only, but oh well. Always liked the appearance of them and with the remote receiver used, they work pretty well as basic, enjoyable CD players.

anibal66

Forum Donor
1. No. See 5.

2. Built-in DAC when using RCA. My main use case would be as a transport, but the -standard- flexibility here is key,.

3. No headphone jack. RCA, Optical and/or Coax.

4. Computer rip support would be a nice extra, if low impact on cost.

5. No opinion. USB power might allow the use of a power bank for those needing portability (not my use case).

6. Remote control would be key for me. I would use it in my main rig. Play, pause, skip, power on/off. Ideally, most old school features like track selection buttons...

+1 on support for computer rip formats..
If possible, with easy maintenance.

Doublej

1. No desire for batteries
2. Built in DAC is desired
3. Optical and Coax, RCA preferred for Analog out.
4. No need, I have a USB DVD read/write unit for my computers
5. Prefer higher voltage
6. Yes, support for a remote control, CD text, LED display. What would be really nice is an iOS app that supports remote control, display of CD text and artwork.

In a nutshell I want a audiophile grade CD player with an IOS app that can compete with offerings from Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Rotel etc.

Top Bottom