• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me choose a pair of monitors (budget max €3500)

LTig

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Monitors: Quested V2108 (no sub).

Tools: REW + Rode NT55.

Listening position and monitors position: as the picture two posts above.

View attachment 186247

This was the old measurement with the KH310.

View attachment 186249

Could someone help me and guide me a little in interpreting these measurements?

Thanks!
It will be much easier if you show both plots with the same scale and range. Why not loading both measurements into REW and showing them in the 'All SPL' plot together?

dshreter

From the experiences you’ve described, I have a concern that you’re relating “I hear X bass really clearly, so Y position is effective.” You’re a self proclaimed bass head, so I suspect this experience you’re describing is finding yourself in a node and liking how prominently the bass pops - but don’t mistake this for a good response.

Ideally you want to keep working through the speaker and subwoofer placement until you have a relatively smooth response. And only then you can dial in EQ to increase the bass response to your taste.

One thing to also keep in mind is you will need to adjust the subwoofer phase as you move its location. If phase is set wrong, it can cause all kinds of issues so it can’t be ignored.

Good luck, keep going!

OP
F

fmessier6

You guys have been really helpful, thank you all so much.

Sadly I did not save my first measurements with REW as many things were going through my head a few months/weeks ago, so all I have are the pictures I posted here. But I am saving all the measurements I'm taking so far, and learning from my mistakes.

Things are miles better than when I started, and this is also partially thanks to all of you.

Jaimo

Forum Donor
Before you get in too deep with measurements, consider using a calibrated measurement microphone. I'm not sure what the Rode"s response is like but without a calibration file for the mic entered into REW, you can only use these measurements as a relative assessment.

The easiest to set up and use mic option is the Mini-DSP UMK1.

LTig

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Before you get in too deep with measurements, consider using a calibrated measurement microphone. I'm not sure what the Rode"s response is like but without a calibration file for the mic entered into REW, you can only use these measurements as a relative assessment.

The easiest to set up and use mic option is the Mini-DSP UMK1.
As long as the mic is used to fix room problems (below Schroeder frequency) it needs not be calibrated.

jim33

Forum Donor
You should measure the speakers ( L+R ) one at a time. The dip shows you have massive bass phase cancellation due to reflections in your room. This hasn't changed when you changed speakers , just that the freq is different. You don't need to worry too much about a calibtrated mic. Adding a subwoofer without proper calibration and time alignment will just create more random problems. I'd suggest you contact GIK acoustics - they will offer professional advice tailored to your room and tell you what you need to buy. They have some good videos on youtube which explain your room issues.

Alex.mo

Thank you all.

Yesterday I installed a 120'' projector screen, the whole process took around eight hours.

For some reason I noticed that the audio and bass response of my speakers improved significantly.
Playing the tracks where I was hearing bass cancellation (around 40-80 Hz), now I'm hearing some bass, enough to perceive it. There is still some cancellation, but things are miles better. If I lean forward, even better (but not really ergonomic).

Theoretically I re-placed the speakers very close to their original position, and I'm trying to figure out what happened here. Before I experimented with different speaker positions (going 10 cm to the left, 10 to the right) without any difference whatsoever, and now BAM! things are miles better.

View attachment 185734
What kind of projector screen do you have? I recently got a GooDee Video Projector 230" HD and am seeking for a suitable screen. By now, I've decided on this one: https://houseandbeyond.org/best-projector-screen/#product2, however, I'm wondering whether there's a better one that will work with my projector.

Top Bottom