• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HELP, I need guidance

Hi,

I would like to ask you guys for some guidance. I might sound really dumb, but I am just really confused on what I should get and do.

I am in the market for a whole system of sorts.

I was thinking about getting a turntable, the Pro Jet Carbon Pro, with the Bower and Wilkins 607 S3 and the Argon Audio SA1.

Here is what I would like to have:
The Turntable has to look good and also perform good.
The speakers with the same requirements as above.

And now to the tricky Part:

The Amplifier I am looking for, has to be under 40 cm in width, look cute, with a remote control and I would also like to connect the amplifier and speakers to my tv. Change between the turntable and TV has to be easy, best with remote control achievable. Is something like this even possible?

Thank you in advance,
Yours truly,
Ben

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't help you with what is "cute/looking good" for audio gear, most are more similar than different IMO. But have more questions than suggestions at this point anyways. You already have a vinyl collection to play is the reason to go with a tt? Why the width restriction on the amp? Why a relatively low powered amp with those speakers? This is strictly a 2.0 setup? No sub? What tv is it or what connectivity does it offer?

GaryY

Forum Donor
Hi,

I would like to ask you guys for some guidance. I might sound really dumb, but I am just really confused on what I should get and do.

I was thinking about getting a turntable, the Pro Jet Carbon Pro, with the Bower and Wilkins 607 S3 and the Argon Audio SA1.

The Amplifier I am looking for, has to be under 40 cm in width, look cute, with a remote control and I would also like to connect the amplifier and speakers to my tv. Change between the turntable and TV has to be easy, best with remote control achievable. Is something like this even possible?

Thank you in advance,
Yours truly,
Ben
This is not the measurement of S3 but S2. Unless there is huge improvement from S2 to S3, may better to reconsider.

Also you can take a look at the recommendation list by price category.

OP
B
I do have some vinyls already, thats why. The width restriction is because, I don’t have any spare space and sadly 40cm is kind of all I can do for the amp. This would be my 1.0 Setup. Would you recommend a sub? My tv is a LG 55 UQ, I bought it last year.
Can't help you with what is "cute/looking good" for audio gear, most are more similar than different IMO. But have more questions than suggestions at this point anyways. You already have a vinyl collection to play is the reason to go with a tt? Why the width restriction on the amp? Why a relatively low powered amp with those speakers? This is strictly a 2.0 setup? No sub? What tv is it or what connectivity does it offer?

OP
B
This is not the measurement of S3 but S2. Unless there is huge improvement from S2 to S3, may better to reconsider.

Also you can take a look at the recommendation list by price category.
Thank you, I will take a look :)

GaryY

Forum Donor
I do have some vinyls already, thats why. The width restriction is because, I don’t have any spare space and sadly 40cm is kind of all I can do for the amp. This would be my 1.0 Setup. Would you recommend a sub? My tv is a LG 55 UQ, I bought it last year.
I think you can get more help by sharing your budget plan.

radix

Major Contributor
Hi,

Thank you in advance,
Yours truly,
Ben
What's your budget?

You could get powered speakers (e.g. JBL, Genelec, Neumann, Kii) that would be your amp and in some cases your streamer and preamp (e.g. JBL 4309p). You'd need an external phono preamp or a line-level turntable to feed it.

A Benchmark AHB2 is fantastic amp and only 11"/28cm wide. But without a budget, that might be too much $.

There's a lot of smaller class D amps that would be just great too.

How big is your room and do you want to listen at library levels, conversation levels, or animal house levels?

radix

Major Contributor
If you want a single remote for volume and power and such, a preamp with HDMI eARC might be best.

If you want a single remote for the TV and the stereo, you might need to get a 3rd party remote that learns everything or need a TV remote that can be programmed or is compatible with the preamp you get.

radix

Major Contributor
Did you want a streamer for playing music services? If so which ones? or did you want BT from a phone?

What about a subwoofer? Most speakers will not have full bass without a sub.

OP
B
If you want a single remote for volume and power and such, a preamp with HDMI eARC might be best.

If you want a single remote for the TV and the stereo, you might need to get a 3rd party remote that learns everything or need a TV remote that can be programmed or is compatible with the preamp you get.
I am ok with an extra remote, one for the TV and one for the amp, for power and volume.

OP
B
Did you want a streamer for playing music services? If so which ones? or did you want BT from a phone?

What about a subwoofer? Most speakers will not have full bass without a sub.
BT from a phone would be great but not a must have.

I am listening at conversation level volume, depends on the music and situation, but nothing that would wake up my whole block.

MAB

Major Contributor
I like this amp, for your compact situation.
Discussion here:
But it lacks internal phono. Has EQ and BT, plus HDMI ARC. You would need a phono preamp though. It would plug into the RCA inputs, and your TV would plug into the ARC or Toslink input. I can't think of an amp that exactly fits your need, this one is the closest. And RIAA preamps are typically really small, some turntables have them built in even.

There is a list of recommended speakers at different price points maintained by SweetChaos.

I wouldn't consider those B&W, they are not very listenable, and no amount of PEQ will fix the treble to woofer transition, or the beaming tweeter.
The speaker is by far the important part of your system. Focus your funds, interests, and obsession on the speakers.

OP
B
I like this amp, for your compact situation.
Discussion here:
But it lacks internal phono. Has EQ and BT, plus HDMI ARC. You would need a phono preamp though. It would plug into the RCA inputs, and your TV would plug into the ARC or Toslink input. I can't think of an amp that exactly fits your need, this one is the closest. And RIAA preamps are typically really small, some turntables have them built in even.

There is a list of recommended speakers at different price points maintained by SweetChaos.

I wouldn't consider those B&W, they are not very listenable, and no amount of PEQ will fix the treble to woofer transition, or the beaming tweeter.
The speaker is by far the important part of your system. Focus your funds, interests, and obsession on the speakers.
If it lacks an internal phono, would I have to get one separately? Or something that has it built in? the same with the phono preamp, sorry for all these questions, really new here and rlly confused

MAB

Major Contributor
If it lacks an internal phono, would I have to get one separately? Or something that has it built in? the same with the phono preamp, sorry for all these questions, really new here and rlly confused
Yes, you would need an external phono preamp.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You could go either way, either a tt with a built-in phono stage or an external one to put between tt and integrated amp.

Reactions: MAB

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You could get a TT with built-in phono preamp like the Pioneer PLX-500.

OP
B
So my shopping list would be:

Turntable with a phono pre amp built in or one with an extra phono,
the WiiAmp
and speakers

for my situation to work (for the Amp and speakers also to work with my tv with an extra remote for volume and on-off)

radix

Major Contributor
So my shopping list would be:

Turntable with a phono pre amp built in or one with an extra phono,
the WiiAmp
and speakers

for my situation to work (for the Amp and speakers also to work with my tv with an extra remote for volume and on-off)

If your TV supports ARC and CEC, then your TV remote should be able to power up both the TV and the amp and control the volume. Some TVs need to be configured to use CEC or ARC in their menu before the Wiim would fully work with them.

I don't know what TV you have, but it might have a streamer built-in too, though the Wiim streamer is very nice. I have 2 of the Wiim Pro streamers.

You would only need the wiim remote to switch inputs, e.g. to the TT. I think you have to use the remote for that, as there's no button (or use the phone app). The LED display is not super helpful, as you need to memorize (or have a cheat sheet) for what the colors mean. Your TV remote might be able to learn the input select button from the Wiim remote.

That all said, I do like the Wiim products I have. They seem well engineered and work well.

Top Bottom