• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help! 8-channel power amplifier and no source! What do I need?

TECHNEWBIE23

My apologies if this is the wrong place for this. I figured I'm a Newbie, so I'm hopefully in the right spot!

Fair warning - I am NOT TECH SAVVY. I've never dealt with anything like this, so sorry if this sounds stupid or I use terms incorrectly.

I recently moved into a house where the previous owners left a Speakercraft BB835 power amplifier behind (it's part of the built-in ceiling speakers in several rooms (8 speakers, 2 each in 4 separate rooms) and I have no idea how to get the full system working. I do have the manual for the amplifier.

I don't know if this helps, but here's what I have to work with:

The kitchen has a Sonance 'panel' with an off button, volume, up/down, and 6 additional buttons - 4 of which are labeled Tuner, CD, XM, iPOD (and 2 blank buttons). The house was redone circa 2004-2005, so I presume that is when this system was put in. I assume this is how I can control the system from the kitchen instead of going to the basement where the amplifier is...?

Several rooms have a "turnable round knob" on the wall next to the light switch - I assume for off/on and volume control for the speakers in that particular room.

I don't know what I need in order to make this work. Do I need a stereo? An Ipod? A CD player (that sounds so weird...)? What 'device' should I use in order to connect to the amplifier, in order to play music in the house? And how do I know what is compatible with the power amplifier I have now?

I'm really out of my depth here, so any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance! Please keep the terms simple for my non-tech savvy brain. Thanks!

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well I think you need to hire a local A/V installer or stereo shop that sells and installs audio (Sonance preferably) to decode your existing system for you. Then it will be understood what is required. Somewhere in your house the previous owner had a rack of components probably near the amplifier you mentioned. Or they had a Sonance switcher with built in tuner, driven by that panel. That panel looks to require the matching box. Take a look at this link. If they took the box they left the panel behind and probably got a new one for their new house. It doesn’t do you any good though if it’s from the system in this link.

Top Bottom