• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hello new member

aking

As a new member I thought I’d introduce myself. I’m a retired Brit living in Peru (it’s a long story). I listen mainly to classical music and a few years ago I switched from CD to music files on HDD (I dumped the NAS as too complicated) together with Tidal and Qobuz streaming. In my audio life I have noticed that the more I spend on equipment the better the sound tends to be. Following this philosophy I was in the market to “upgrade” my DAC when I stumbled on this forum. You got my attention alright. I will post a specific question when I have picked up some more knowledge. Thanks!
Andrew

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Welcome to ASR, Andrew!
Learning where one can best allocate funds for actual improvement is a great benefit of this site (spoiler: it's rarely the DAC). If you are open to learning, there is a vast amount of technical knowledge and experience here that can help. Ask away when you are ready!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As a new member I thought I’d introduce myself. I’m a retired Brit living in Peru (it’s a long story). I listen mainly to classical music and a few years ago I switched from CD to music files on HDD (I dumped the NAS as too complicated) together with Tidal and Qobuz streaming. In my audio life I have noticed that the more I spend on equipment the better the sound tends to be. Following this philosophy I was in the market to “upgrade” my DAC when I stumbled on this forum. You got my attention alright. I will post a specific question when I have picked up some more knowledge. Thanks!
Andrew
Fantastic - welcome.

Site is exceptionally useful. I've cancelled about £850 of planned spending due to learning here I'd see no benefit from what I was planning to spend it on.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Andrew

Welcome!

Yeah...I put myself through a few listening tests, once I learned how to properly do one after stumbling across this place a couple years ago, and it was very much a before/after moment in my audio life. It's amazing how much our brains can outright fabricate. Learning that simple truth has saved me a ton of time, and learning what is actually likely to improve sound quality, vs. what is likely to simply lighten my wallet is worth the bit of effort it takes to figure out some of this stuff.

OP
A

aking

Andrew
Welcome to ASR, Andrew!
Learning where one can best allocate funds for actual improvement is a great benefit of this site (spoiler: it's rarely the DAC). If you are open to learning, there is a vast amount of technical knowledge and experience here that can help. Ask away when you are ready!
Thanks dkinric. I feel at home already.

OP
A

aking

Fantastic - welcome.

Site is exceptionally useful. I've cancelled about £850 of planned spending due to learning here I'd see no benefit from what I was planning to spend it
Fantastic - welcome.

Site is exceptionally useful. I've cancelled about £850 of planned spending due to learning here I'd see no benefit from what I was planning to spend it on.
Thanks Tony for the welcome. I hope to deepen my knowledge of the process of audio buying which in my case is very hit and miss and as you say can be expensive.

OP
A

aking

Welcome!

Yeah...I put myself through a few listening tests, once I learned how to properly do one after stumbling across this place a couple years ago, and it was very much a before/after moment in my audio life. It's amazing how much our brains can outright fabricate. Learning that simple truth has saved me a ton of time, and learning what is actually likely to improve sound quality, vs. what is likely to simply lighten my wallet is worth the bit of effort it takes to figure out some of this stuff.

OP
A

aking

Exactly. My audio selection hardly even involves listening before buying given the shortage of dealers in Peru. So the process really intereses me.

Top Bottom