• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Squeezebox replacement...

ErikS

Howdy all!

I'm currently using a number of Squeezeboxes for various rooms in my home. I have a LMS running on a Synology NAS.
We have a rather large local music collection ( ~4 TB) residing on the NAS. It's mostly hard to find stuff not available on streaming services (oldest son is an aficionado). We also use Tidal.
Now MySqueezebox.com is shutting down which means that we cannot use Tidal anymore (apparently MSB is needed to log onto Tidal) which
means that I need a new streamer. My requirements so far:
- No DAC needed. The various installations already have DAC:s and amplifiers (and loudspeaker)
- Tidal support
- UPnP/DLNA support

I've found iFi Zen Stream that seems to fulfil my requirements but sadly my wife went totally bananas at the design (and it is a bit expensive as I need to buy 4).
I really would like some suggestions here as I'm totally new to this.
I've been using Squeezebox since they were introduced.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
As you do have the DAC's and Synology can act as a UPnP server, have a look at the WiiM

OP
E

ErikS

Thanks all for the suggestion. I ended up with Audio Pro Link 2.
Btw, I did try to use BubbleUPnP and the existing squeezeboxes as renderer but that project failed the control point.

Smitty2k1

Take a look at the WiiM Mini.
Wiim Mini doesn't have native LMS support like the Pro and Pro Plus as far as I'm aware. When I used my mini with LMS I had to do "stream mode" or something and it limited some functionality (e.g. replaygain) but it did "work".

Hopefully Wiim adds that functionality to the Mini, which would allow it to replace a RaspberryPi as a LMS player IMO.

direwolf08

Wiim Mini doesn't have native LMS support like the Pro and Pro Plus as far as I'm aware. When I used my mini with LMS I had to do "stream mode" or something and it limited some functionality (e.g. replaygain) but it did "work".

Hopefully Wiim adds that functionality to the Mini, which would allow it to replace a RaspberryPi as a LMS player IMO.
My Wiim Mini’s show up as players in LMS once I installed the UPnP/DLNA Bridge plugin. Seems to work pretty well.

Top Bottom