• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones: How do the left & right connect?

MartinEighty8

Just curious, with typical over-ear wired headphones, where they're connected via a single cable in the left side, how does information get sent to the right side?

Are there wires running through the headband? Is it wirelessly transmitted?

I've been google searching, but could not find the answer.

OP
M

MartinEighty8

That was my initial thought. The reason I ask is I often see people say it's OK to stretch headphones if you want to reduce the clamping force of the headband, but was cautious if this could damage the internal wiring in any way by stretching?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
That was my initial thought. The reason I ask is I often see people say it's OK to stretch headphones if you want to reduce the clamping force of the headband, but was cautious if this could damage the internal wiring in any way by stretching?
It's possible but I've not heard of it happening.

Bob-23

Stretching the headband only makes sense if it's made by metal, and if it's metal by metal, current can pass through it: no additional cables necessary.

But where the cables are soldered to the headband - inside the cups - that's often a critical point: the solder joints may break easily (generally, not necessarily when bending the headband), and resoldering them might be difficult, as there's a lot of metal involved, thus, a lot of heat is necessary which a low wattage soldering station may not be able to deliver...

Edit: of course, you need a headband with two separate metal strings, like, for instance, AKG 702/712.

Last edited:
Top Bottom