• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amp/Preamp - Want to Leave Headphones Plugged In

sherm137

Hey ASR,

I'm looking for a headphone amp/preamp combo that lets me switch between my powered speakers and headphones. I have a JDS Labs Atom right now, but I have to unplug the headphones any time I want to use the speakers and would like to skip that step if possible.

Are there many headphone amp/preamp units that have a switcher for my needs? Any recommendations?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
SMSL M500 allows switching

EDIT- yup, sorry, referred you to a DAC/headamp, not a head/pre amp. Sorry

Last edited:
OP
S

sherm137

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the L30 will be in stock soon.

I don't need another DAC so would like to skip paying for an amp/DAC combo if possible.

So any other recommendations would be welcomed.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the L30 will be in stock soon.

I don't need another DAC so would like to skip paying for an amp/DAC combo if possible.

So any other recommendations would be welcomed.
Just edited my response as realised that. sorry

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not hook both the headphones and the speakers up to headphone-out via any AB-switcher/switch box?

Possibly because you still want to use the pre-amp fucntionality of the HP amp, i.e. rotary volume control, when using speakers. This is how I use my system, the PC, DAC and Monitor volumes are all fixed and I use the Atom to control both HP and speaker volume.

Bob-23

Possibly because you still want to use the pre-amp fucntionality of the HP amp, i.e. rotary volume control, when using speakers. This is how I use my system, the PC, DAC and Monitor volumes are all fixed and I use the Atom to control both HP and speaker volume.
Headphone-out is controlled by the vol pot, isn't it?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Headphone-out is controlled by the vol pot, isn't it?

Yes, it is on the Atom. I actually misread your post and thought you were suggesting a switcher before the amp which would have precluded use of the Atom volume with speakers.

I guess it would be pretty easy to add a DPDT switch to the Atom to flip between headphones and pre-out like on the L30/A90.

Bob-23

add a DPDT
Exactly, a 'Double-Pole-Double-Throw' in a little box, would do it (with relays would be a somehow better option - but that's not necessary) - maybe Op knows somebody with a soldering iron. It's an easy project.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly, a 'Double-Pole-Double-Throw' in a little box, would do it (with relays would be a somehow better option - but that's not necessary) - maybe Op knows somebody with a soldering iron. It's an easy project.

I was thinking more along the lines of drilling a hole in the front of the Atom above 'Atom Amp' and wiring up a panel mounted DPDT toggle so you could use the existing pre-outs on the back of the Atom. There's plenty of space inside the case for this. Now I just need to source a PCB mounted latched DPDT push switch to match the Gain and Input switches...

Top Bottom