• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI: Screen Flickers & Electrical Discharge Sounds

PortaStudio

Hello everbody,

I have quite a journey behind me. I have experienced monitor flickering in sync with sounds of electrical discharges (thats my guess at least). Unfortunatly the video here shows only the flickering screen without the sounds:

My first attempt to solve this issue was to replace my first HDMI/DVI cable (above 6m/20ft) and get a shorter second HDMI/DVI cable (3m/10ft). The cable alongside a number of USB cables goes through a wall with three 90° angles.

Since the issue was still there I tried a number of screens, without any success.

My next step was to change every single component in my PC including the case. No luck. I was blown away.

I connected the PC with a 2m HDMI/DVI cable to a TV, the cable hanging straight in the air, with only one 90° angle in front of the HDMI port of the TV. That fixed it. No more issues.

I pulled the second cable (3m) out of the wall and connected it with cable being comparably straight to what I did with the third cable (2m) and I had no more issues as well. Trying that with my first cable (6m) was not possible so I had it lying around the floor, and there I had the issues again.

I am completely clueless what is going on but desperatly want to get it working. If anyone has experince with this or give me direction, advise or suggestions where I can get consultation, that would be greatly appreciated.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if you are experiencing HDMI cable bandwidth issues. HDMI cables can make a difference, but you don't have to buy costly boutique cables, just ones which meet the appropriate specs. Long before I purchased a 4K HDR-capable TV set, I purchased cables rated for it, because there was little or no price penalty.

There are also limits to how long twisted-wire HDMI cables can be; beyond that, you may want to consider an active optical cable such as this:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=44330

Curvature

Major Contributor
HDMI cables can't be severely bent. There are a lot of very thin conductors inside. They have a sort of natural radial curve that should be obeyed.

Cables also need to be in-wall rated for fire safety (foremost), but also shielded to minimize interference.

OP
PortaStudio

PortaStudio

I wonder if you are experiencing HDMI cable bandwidth issues. HDMI cables can make a difference, but you don't have to buy costly boutique cables, just ones which meet the appropriate specs. Long before I purchased a 4K HDR-capable TV set, I purchased cables rated for it, because there was little or no price penalty.
I see. I want to buy another cable (10ft) that is a solid reference. Im going to make sure that it has these features even though I work in 1080p SDR.

There are also limits to how long twisted-wire HDMI cables can be; beyond that, you may want to consider an active optical cable such as this:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=44330
I wasnt aware of active long cables and am going to take a closer look at them. The one you have posted is 24 ft minimum which is 2.4 times the length I need.

HDMI cables can't be severely bent. There are a lot of very thin conductors inside. They have a sort of natural radial curve that should be obeyed.
Okay, maybe that is my issue. My next step would be to buy another cable and check how that performs.
Cables also need to be in-wall rated for fire safety (foremost), but also shielded to minimize interference.
What woule be a good reference cable (10ft/3m) to get? (preferably HDMI/DVI, or I would have to buy another GPU or an adapter at least. The GPU i currenly use has a display port connected to a adapter to DVI, connected to a DVI/HDMI cable.)

OP
PortaStudio

PortaStudio

Thanks for all the advice!

Apparently if you go above 10ft, your chances are slimmer to get a proper image:

Earlier in this video they also say that one in five cables did not meet spec.

The certification seems to be the critical factor (apart from length). From my search on amazon, I couldnt find anything useful, looking for 2.1 HDMI to DVI cables. Is the 2.1 specification a HDMI to HDMI thing? In this case I really should consider another GPU, or at least I have to get a new adapter.

I want to try an active optical HDMI cable as well, but for now a passive 10ft one is what I am going for.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Thanks for all the advice!

Apparently if you go above 10ft, your chances are slimmer to get a proper image:

Earlier in this video they also say that one in five cables did not meet spec.

The certification seems to be the critical factor (apart from length). From my search on amazon, I couldnt find anything useful, looking for 2.1 HDMI to DVI cables. Is the 2.1 specification a HDMI to HDMI thing? In this case I really should consider another GPU, or at least I have to get a new adapter.

I want to try an active optical HDMI cable as well, but for now a passive 10ft one is what I am going for.
Just keep in mind that digital cables either work or don't. There is no performance gradient.

I buy my cables at http://www.bluejeanscable.com/ because they test every one and I've liked the quality of terminations, etc. They have a useful section with articles if you'd like to learn more.

OP
PortaStudio

PortaStudio

Just keep in mind that digital cables either work or don't. There is no performance gradient.

I buy my cables at http://www.bluejeanscable.com/ because they test every one and I've liked the quality of terminations, etc. They have a useful section with articles if you'd like to learn more.
That is great.

I can't get any hits on '2.1' on the DVI wikipedia article. There it says:
Video signal Digital video stream:
Single link: 1920 × 1200 (WUXGA) @ 60 Hz
Dual link: 2560 × 1600 (WQXGA) @ 60 Hz
Analog video stream: 1920 × 1200 (WUXGA) @ 60 Hz
So I assume that DVI is somewhat antiquated these days.

Andysu

Major Contributor
hdmi cables are all equally poorly made , need a thing that attaches on the back that keeps part of the hdmi cable horizontal with the connector input/output ports if the cable sags it bends the copper connector or part of the cable connecting to plastic casing
hdmi cables are cheap and are all the same wires and pins , cheap but if looking at the whole thing and thinking why not modify the connectors to be bit more robust , on the ultra cheap side of course no need for this to cost over $£100

Curvature

Major Contributor
hdmi cables are all equally poorly made , need a thing that attaches on the back that keeps part of the hdmi cable horizontal with the connector input/output ports if the cable sags it bends the copper connector or part of the cable connecting to plastic casing
hdmi cables are cheap and are all the same wires and pins , cheap but if looking at the whole thing and thinking why not modify the connectors to be bit more robust , on the ultra cheap side of course no need for this to cost over $£100
There significant differences in termination and strain relief quality. I'd agree a better connector would make life easier.

SpeakOn and XLR connectors are beefy and excellent for that reason.

Andysu

Major Contributor
There significant differences in termination and strain relief quality. I'd agree a better connector would make life easier.

SpeakOn and XLR connectors are beefy and excellent for that reason.

modify avr and player with hybrid scart connector or how about DB25 connector

Andysu

Major Contributor
I really don't think that's practical for most people or companies.
we screw them and we modify the avr players ourselves as its clear to me they don't want make a robust connector instead they use cheap so they break

Top Bottom