• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connect two PC's to Topping D90SE

mikiego

Hello everyone,

I'm not very tech-savvy, so I'm turning to the forum :)
I'd like to connect a Windows PC and a PC with Daphile to the Topping D90SE DAC, which has USB and I2S inputs.
I found this interface
sold by Amazon.pl
and this cable from Ricable that is sold in Poland by the Polish Ricable website

Ricable also manufactures a cable with an internal processor and artificial intelligence, but I believe the passive cable should be more than sufficient :) The one with the processor is three times the price, and I don't quite understand its purpose, but I'm also reaching out to forum members about this option.
The AI one I would still need to order from Italy.

This way, I could connect both PCs.
In my humble opinion, Daphile is certainly better for file playback, though you might disagree, while for Tidal and even for watching movies, the Windows PC might be superior, thanks to MQA encoding, which is not available on Tidal.
For movies, it would obviously be indispensable.
Moreover, with the Windows PC, I could connect to Daphile and view the interface on the TV screen, which would be infinitely more convenient than looking at my phone.
Also, at 68, my eyes are starting to have their issues.

Link to the Topping, for those unfamiliar with it.

I'd like to hear from the experts if everything seems fine.
In any case, I have the option to return the products, but it's better to ask and avoid the hassle.

Happy listening to everyone and a big thank you in advance to those who will answer.
Mikiego

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ricable also manufactures a cable with an internal processor and artificial intelligence, but I believe the passive cable should be more than sufficient :) The one with the processor is three times the price, and I don't quite understand its purpose
That is strictly for video. The processor will upscale a low resolution video signal to a higher resolution for 4K or 8K TVs.
It's entirely useless for audio.

I'd like to hear from the experts if everything seems fine.
I²S via HDMI can be spotty at times.
I'd just connect one PC via USB and the other via Toslink, using a Hifime UT23 which at just $25, is a whole lot cheaper than the PO100 Pro, and just as bit-perfect/transparent.

In case you have not bought the D90SE yet, or are still within the return window, I would also strongly recommend you consider the $100 less expensive D90LE instead of the SE.
The only difference is MQA support and with the format's creator having filed for bankruptcy and most involved parties (including Tidal) seeking to distance themselves from the snake oil-y trainwreck that is MQA, there really is no reason to still invest in compatible hardware, IMO.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I would just use a KVM Switch.

OP
M

mikiego

In case you have not bought the D90SE yet, or are still within the return window, I would also strongly recommend you consider the $100 less expensive D90LE instead of the SE.
The only difference is MQA support and with the format's creator having filed for bankruptcy and most involved parties (including Tidal) seeking to distance themselves from the snake oil-y trainwreck that is MQA, there really is no reason to still invest in compatible hardware, IMO.
I've bought the D90SE one year ago.
Now I've TWO DAC: D90SE and SMSL SU-8. I would like to save an amp input. Spending about 180 euros, I could sell the second DAC and it will a zero cost operation with a greater comfort.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is strictly for video. The processor will upscale a low resolution video signal to a higher resolution for 4K or 8K TVs.
It's entirely useless for audio.

I²S via HDMI can be spotty at times.
I'd just connect one PC via USB and the other via Toslink, using a Hifime UT23 which at just $25, is a whole lot cheaper than the PO100 Pro, and just as bit-perfect/transparent.

This

OP
M

mikiego

I'd just connect one PC via USB and the other via Toslink
Topping affirm Toslink doesn't support DSD, moreover my PC doesn't have an output Toslink. I have got yet SMSL PO100 AK connected to another PC and it plays very good. Does Toslink support DSD in your opinion?
Thank you very much all answers.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Does Toslink support DSD in your opinion?

I don't think it does. Is it a necessity? Do you have a lot of stored music that's only available as DSD?

If not, I'd just forget about DSD. It doesn't really do anything useful.

Zek

Major Contributor
my PC doesn't have an output Toslink
Did you check that there is a digital header on the board?
If it exists, you can get an SPDIF bracket with optical and coaxial output.

OP
M

mikiego

Did you check that there is a digital header on the board?
If it exists, you can get an SPDIF bracket with optical and coaxial output.
Neither of the two PCs has a digital output, one is a compact Lenovo Thinkcentre and the other is an old Acer laptop that is at least 15 years old and that I use for Daphile. I need an external sound card with an I2s or Toslink output, Sincerely I think I2S is better, but eventually Toslink is acceptable. I could connect the Windows PC via Toslink (Toslink supports MQA) and the other one via USB..
Thanks to all

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Sincerely I think I2S is better, but eventually Toslink is acceptable.

Most likely only through the power of suggestion:

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I am bit late in terms of editing my og reply.

I am still firm on my KVM/KM Switch advice and I didn't explain myself. A KVM/KM Switch allows you to connect the DAC (via USB) to this switch and toggle between 2 computers (via USB):

51i6BNZciYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

No worries of which PC uses optical/other inputs and these switches are around $20-$25 USD. Also no worries of optical limitations since both computers use USB and you'll be able to use the DAC to its fullest.

Imo, The Hifime UT23 and Douk Audio U2 are a waste of money when compared to the switch. The D90SE can do DSD over optical using DoP but its only DSD64 and other downside is 192khz/24bit PCM max.

Top Bottom