• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDbaseT --> no signal on TVs

lauraparis

Hello,

For the small fitness center I'm about to open in Paris, I have a HUGE problem with HDbaseT.

I want to send my videos to 4 TVs. For the sound system, all is ok, I extract the sound from the PC visa a USB port and a Focusrite device (--> amplis --> passive speakers), but for image, big problems...

My configuration is:

PC Graphic Card Nvidia Geforce GT1030
-->(HDMI)--> Blustream HSP14CS (transmitter)
-->(cat6)--> Blustream HEX70B-RX (receiver)
-->(HDMI)--> 4K TV LG 75SM9000

I have 4 TVs, and the 4 cat6 cable lengths are: 24 meters / 32 meters / 38 meters / 43 meters

With the 43 meters cable, no power light on the HDbaseT receiver. So the TV displays "no signal" of course.

I have simple UTP cat6 cables, so I bought S/FTP cat6 cables --> same problem.
I changed ALL the HDMI cables with costly shielded HDMI --> same problem.
I changed ALL the RJ45, trying costly shielded ones --> same problem.
I tried lower PC video resolutions --> same problem.
I tuned the HDbaseT transmistter EDID to 3 ON/ 2 OFF/ 2 OFF/ 1 ON (4K30Hz 4:4:4/2.0ch) --> same problem.
I tuned the HDbaseT transmistter EDID to 3 OFF/ 2 ON/ 2 ON/ 1 OFF (4K60Hz 4:2:0/2.0ch) --> same problem.
I tuned the HDbaseT transmistter EDID to 3 OFF/ 2 OFF/ 2 OFF/ 1 OFF (1080p/2.0ch) --> same problem.

Of course, I used a test device to check the cat6 cable: the cable is ok.

Normally, all my installation would support 60Hz 4:4:4 and 4K. I don't even tried 4K, I only need 1080p. But even with 1080p, problem.

The Blustream normally would be ok with the lenght of my cables. But even when I connect only 1 cable, the 43 meters cable, that long cable doesn't work.

Where is the problem? The graphic card? I have to add a DC12V power device to the 43 meters away receiver (normally the PoC is ok with my lenghts?

Weeks and weeks trying to find a solution... :/

Thanks a lot,

Laura

cable.jpg

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know much about converting HDMI to cat6 and back. I do know that long runs of HDMI are problematic. So keep your HDMI runs as short as you can. How long are your HDMI cables?

I would suggest trying a few things to try and narrow down the problem.

1) does plugging your TV directly into the graphics card with the same HDMI cable you are using to plug into the blue stream work?
2) if that works, does plugging the TV into the graphics card with the HDMI cable you are using to plug in the reciever to the TV work?
3) if those two things work then you know your cables individually seem to work.

4) now add just the blue stream. Can you plug graphics card HDMI to blue stream and the HDMI out of blue stream to the TV? Does that work reliably? That can help rule out the Blue stream and the combined length of the HDMI cables.

5)then try with short run of cat6 cable to the receiver and see if that works.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found HDbaseT an unreliable solution in our old home. So much so that we ended up paying the demolition/install/refinishing costs to run an optical HDMI instead. However, in your case I would try running separate power to the non-working receiver. Also maybe swap Rx boxes around to see if that one is just bad.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I tuned the HDbaseT transmistter EDID to 3 ON/ 2 OFF/ 2 OFF/ 1 ON (4K30Hz 4:4:4/2.0ch) --> same problem.
I tuned the HDbaseT transmistter EDID to 3 OFF/ 2 ON/ 2 ON/ 1 OFF (4K60Hz 4:2:0/2.0ch) --> same problem.
I tuned the HDbaseT transmistter EDID to 3 OFF/ 2 OFF/ 2 OFF/ 1 OFF (1080p/2.0ch) --> same problem.
What is the HDCP situation here, is it stripped?

JSmith

Krobar

What is the HDCP situation here, is it stripped?

JSmith

Not usually, HDBaseT is HDCP compliant. I've used HDBaseT a fair bit and it has been reliable, I prefer the 48V solutions from manufacturers such as CYP.

@lauraparis which side do you have power applied to? I think you would normally power the HSP14CS only and if you don't see power at the receiver side then there is likely a serious problem with the wiring. Have you tried a simple network switch or continuity tester on the in-wall wiring?

OP
L

lauraparis

Yes, a power unit is only on the transmitter unit. I never see power on a receiver when the cable is longer than 40 meters.

I also maybe have to change the cables? It seems that there is a fire risk with CCA cables (my place is public, so all must be ok for security)? My current simple UTP cables are all in PVC trunkings.

So, for new cables, what do I need to ensure PoE?

• Copper mandatory?
  • F/UTP and no UTP?
  • Cat7 possible? (on amazon, it seems that there are more products available on Cat7 than on Cat6)?
  • 23AWG?

Is this cable nice? https://www.amazon.fr/HB-DIGITAL-halogène-Conforme-données-Ethernet/dp/B082Y7C6BZ

JSmith

Master Contributor
Not usually, HDBaseT is HDCP compliant.
Yes I know... however I meant the reverse basically, as in HDCP may need to be stripped in some cases to ensure the handshake proceeds from my experience.
Have you tried a simple network switch or continuity tester on the in-wall wiring?
Agree, an answer on this from the OP would be helpful.

JSmith

F

freemansteve

Are you using the cat7a cable with standard RJ45 connectors? I didn't know that would work....

OP
L

lauraparis

Are you using the cat7a cable with standard RJ45 connectors? I didn't know that would work....
Yes, I used RJ45 connectors done for cat7. For wires 1,35 - 1,45 mm. They are even easier to connect than classic RJ45...

Top Bottom