• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD6XX - Schiit Stack - Need More Punch!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In that case, the bottom line is that the stock HD650/6XX sound signature is not agreeable to you. If you want to address the root cause, it would be to get a different headphone.
I'm under the impression that unless a person is buying a Dan Clark Audio Stealth headphone that every headphone requires EQ/PEQ. But then I've never heard a HD650 so...

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm under the impression that unless a person is buying a Dan Clark Audio Stealth headphone that every headphone requires EQ/PEQ. But then I've never heard a HD650 so...
The Drop 6XX is supposed to be the same. It's got a small bulge centered around 170 hz. I use a modified version of the usual PEQ, a big boost below 60hz, a smooth ramp up 2db @ 20khz with the boost around 7.5 khz and the dip around 13khz, as per Arim. So the result effectively dropped the region around 170khz by about 2db, which is enough. More than good enough for me, no good reason to spend more.

mikeburns

I use my HD6XX with the E1DA Power Dac. Obviously this requires a cable swap but with the EQ set for the HD6XX provided with the built in EQ curves of the E1DA the sound is phenomenal. I have gone back to the stock sound to AB plenty of times and aside from the extra bass I completely prefer the EQed sound. It is lovely.

OP
AVPM

AVPM

In that case, the bottom line is that the stock HD650/6XX sound signature is not agreeable to you. If you want to address the root cause, it would be to get a different headphone.
I ordered a pair of AKG K371’s, which if I read the reviews correctly have a better low end than the HD6XX’s.

ngs428

I ordered a pair of AKG K371’s, which if I read the reviews correctly have a better low end than the HD6XX’s.
You are talking closed back vs open back so yea, a bit of a difference. Honestly though, I have both those headphones and my other one is the Edition XS, which blows both of them out of the water. Even without EQ. Granted they are $500.

Robin L

Master Contributor
They have more deep bass without eq or additional power. To these ears, Drop 6XX with EQ, powered by a Topping L30, has better bass. There's a bit of fat and blur in the bass with the 371s no matter what it's hooked up to. The bass of my Drop 6XX 'phones with eq is really fine.

OP
AVPM

AVPM

PEQ software is here. Install Equalizer APO and then Peace EQ for a GUI. That will give you some great control over the sound.
For my previous tests, I was just using the EQ included with VLC. I have since started using WMP and Equalizer APO/Peace. Are you able to change the EQ on the fly? For some reason, when I move the sliders around nothing seems to change. I am probably just using it wrong.

***DISREGARD - I fixed it by following the troubleshooter in Peace*** Cool software.

Last edited:

parabolically

Eq to the oratory1990 settings. That will bump the bass up.
I EQ'd to the oratory1990 settings and wanted to bump the bass up, where would I do this? Would I simply increase the corresponding slider, or increase the gain values below the corresponding slider? Sorry in advance, still very new.

Screenshot 2023-07-24 164033.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I EQ'd to the oratory1990 settings and wanted to bump the bass up, where would I do this? Would I simply increase the corresponding slider, or increase the gain values below the corresponding slider? Sorry in advance, still very new.

View attachment 301276
Wow! That's jumbled and disorganized beyond reasonable methodology. Look how mine is from the low frequency on the left side and increasing to the high frequencies on the right side of the graph. That's what you want to see in a graphical format of PEQ. My settings are not normal so ignore them but feel free to explore...LoL.
z Screenshot 2023-04-08 230137.png

parabolically

Wow! That's jumbled and disorganized beyond reasonable methodology. Look how mine is from the low frequency on the left side and increasing to the high frequencies on the right side of the graph. That's what you want to see in a graphical format of PEQ. My settings are not normal so ignore them but feel free to explore...LoL.
View attachment 301278

Are you referring to the equalizer graph settings or the number of saved configurations? I only imported the oratory1990 EQ file and haven't changed anything yet. If you're referring to the number of configurations, then yeah I should probably remove the vast majority that I'll never even use (over 90% of them came installed with Peace APO by default).

Also, the left-most and right-most frequency sliders are the ones you increase for bass? It'll always be those two sliders, right?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@parabolically I am referring to the Frequencies as indicated at the left side near the top of the window. I suggest using Equalizer Default to start and get a feel for how the stuff is lay'd out and operates. Manually adjust and find the settings that you enjoy. The priority at this time is to get the PEQ to a semblance of order with the bass on the left and the high treble on the right side. As it is now it is jumbled and difficult to make sense of.

raif71

Major Contributor
My setups are not using windows/mac/linux so no EQ for me. I've been happy with SMSL M400/SP400 stack using hd6xx and with the same earphone been happy too with gustard p26/denafrips ares II/singxer sa-1. Enough punch and bass. Not so happy with schiit asgard3/bifrost2 but really happy with the schiit stack when paired with Sundara.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 301276
Increase the gain value of the first filter (105hz) - try 1db at a time until you are happy. Also- check the "prevent clipping" button on the Peak value meter bar near middle bottom. Just out of interest, when you are playing music, does the peak value meter show a green level bar? There is a chance you havent enabled EAPO on your output device.

Second test, with music playing, change the "pre amplifying" value (top left) to something like -30db (please , dont forget the minus sign)- if EAPO is working you will get a very large drop in output.

Top Bottom