• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Have to praise Etymotic ER-3/4, but they are harder and harder to get ...

shinewu

Have tried so many IEMs and big headphones. Have to come back to the true classics: ER-3SE and ER-4SR.
The neutrality, the details and the BA timber :(

Jokes aside, they sound less technical than some of the multi-driver ones. But not less enjoyable. And the
neutral and somewhat relaxed presentation "adds" to the music, whereas I feel many newer ones
"takes" away from the music with too much brightness or bass.

I also discovered 3 things:
1) The filter can make a big difference. If you feel the sound is muffled or bass is light, chances are the
filter needs to be replaced.
2) ER-3 with a resistor is as good as ER-4. If you can ask me, I actually prefer ER-3's darker presentation.
3) They need a slightly beefy source. It is okay to turn up the volume a bit, and the details can be astounding!

The only thing is that they are harder and harder to get at lower prices.

Soria Moria

How is the comfort? They look awfully long. Wouldn’t it push a bunch of earwax into the canal and potentially block it? I already have ear wax issues with regular earbuds.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a set of ER4-XR and somehow managed to lose them. Very sad. But I agree, somehow they have one of the cleanest overall sounds I've ever heard. Like looking at the music through a microscope... in a good way! Have been an Ety fan for a long time.

They are super long and not very comfortable, but if you don't mind earplugs they're probably fine. Not for everybody.

markanini

Major Contributor
It's my only +$200 IEM purchase. I tried everything with my OG ER4S, Shure Olives, filter swaps, EQ. It never excited me or made me feel immersed.

mmmdc

How is the comfort? They look awfully long. Wouldn’t it push a bunch of earwax into the canal and potentially block it? I already have ear wax issues with regular earbuds.
In that case they are not for you.

Comfort depends a lot on your personal ear canal. For some people they are unbearable, for some they fit great and are comfortable for long periods of time. My ears aren't picky with this stuff and I could wear them all day if I wanted to.

But yes, if earwax is an issue they are not an option for you.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Get them from Drop at the moment for a decent discount. (ER3)

moonlight rainbow dream

I've lost or destroyed 3 pairs of Ety ER-4P over the years. For my (admittedly rough) use case, I decided to just go with more easily replaceable cheap iems from Moondrop.

I do miss them... in particular, the noise isolation for plane travel is amazing.

blse59

ER4XR is my favorite in the series. All of the Etymotic ER series earphones are good. It feels like sound being piped directly to your brain. If it were my job to analyze a sound recording these would be my first choice.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My second pair of hi-fi IEM is ER-4S or P, forgot which one. Amazing noise blocking, good sound, worst comfort. I would rather listen to first gen airpods, as they don't hurt my ears.

Last edited:

ears-of-steel

I own the ER3XR and ER4XR and despite them not being the most engaging, fun, fluent or airy, etc.. IEM around I still find them immensely enjoyable. Apart from using them for listening to music as well as monitoring, mixing and mastering they serve as some sort of references whenever I get a new set of in-ears.
Luckily I don't have any issues with the deep fit of those critters, that way they have saved my day more than once, e.g. on flights with crying kids right next to me.
Finally as to the wide spread notion that a cheap impedance adapter can magically make your ER3XR sound like a set of ER4XR ... well not quite 100% to my ageing ears but pretty darn close. If that little difference is worth the extra $$$ is up to anyone interested in grabbing a pair; I certainly don't regret a single penny I paid for them.
Viva Etymotic!

Top Bottom