• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gym Goers

Music1969

Major Contributor
The implication I surmised is "exercise" = cardio and "train" = strength training.
Interesting

Strength training is also a form of exercise

But i don't want to derail the thread

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I go to the gym and weight train 4 days a week, 60 to 75 minutes a session, and I cycle the 2 miles there and back, so I get a little warm up and warm down. I try and go for a short run once or twice a week and will go for a longer cycle ride at the weekends - if the weather is nice. :)

Multicore

Major Contributor
what is this difference ?
I think of training as being for something. When I was a bike racer I would train for this race or for nationals. What I do now is exercise. And we exercise the dogs when we take them on a hike. In these cases there's no specific goal, purpose or event that the activity is leading up to, it's just for its own sake.

One can have goals/objectives with exercise
Yes, of course. It's more like the other way around. Training is always targeted at something specific, often an event with a date, while exercise can have a goal doesn't need to have one.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think of training as being for something. When I was a bike racer I would train for this race or for nationals. What I do now is exercise. And we exercise the dogs when we take them on a hike. In these cases there's no specific goal, purpose or event that the activity is leading up to, it's just for its own sake.
That is exactly how I think of it as well. But the objective does not need to be an event. It might be finishing a triathlon in top 10% of your age group as well for example, or squatting 2x your body weight.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to be as fit as possible so that the long downhill slide starts from a higher elevation.
That, maybe a bit of vanity, and the fact that I actually enjoy training is exactly it for me.

Last edited:

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am not sure if you guys follow him but I am big fan of Dr. Peter Attia who talks a lot about longevity.
I was in seeing my doctor a couple of weeks ago and she highly recommended his book Outlive. I bought it and will read it over the holidays.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was in seeing my doctor a couple of weeks ago and she highly recommended his book Outlive. I bought it and will read it over the holidays.
I bought 10 copies so far probably, and gifted 9 of them. I follow his podcasts as well. He is a gem.

Reactions: GDK

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Training is always targeted at something specific, often an event with a date, while exercise can have a goal doesn't need to have one.
For me, there is always a goal. It could be something specific like an upcoming ultra-endurance event. Or the goal could be to improve my physical and mental fitness and well-being (exercise or training, whatever you call it, has mental benefits too). Either way there is a reason I'm doing all that hard work & sweat.

Multicore

Major Contributor
For me, there is always a goal. It could be something specific like an upcoming ultra-endurance event. Or the goal could be to improve my physical and mental fitness and well-being (exercise or training, whatever you call it, has mental benefits too). Either way there is a reason I'm doing all that hard work & sweat.
Agreed. I exercise for general fitness now. While that counts as a goal I wouldn't say I was training for general fitness. I would use training with a more specific goal.

When I was racing, winter training was to prepare me for spring training, and then there was specialization for the races I was interested in.

Fred H

Forum Donor
80. Used to run 50 miles a week but knees couldn't take it past 50. Substituted a cross country ski machine plus weights for a couple of decades. Then a reclining bike plus weights for a decade. About a year ago bought a cheap used rowing machine; used it for 6 months and bought a used Concept2. Now at 30 min (5500 meters) 6+ days a week plus kettlebell and pushups a couple of times a week. This combination works for me. I miss the runner's high, but everything else is good. Looking forward to skiing.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One can have goals/objectives with exercise
That's the point. But is the goal "be healthy/have fun/meet people" or is the goal "complete/place/etc. in XXX athletic event". I think of training as exercise directed to a specific definable event. I run, ride bikes, and lift weights for exercise, and my objective there is to attain a state of fitness that makes me feel good. But I trained for the Ironman or the Marine Corps Marathon or whatever. Same activity; different short-term objectives.

Rick "you got it" Denney

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I am at the gym, I usually listen to high bpm electronic music. When I am not, I don't. Yet since I spend a lot of time exercising, a lot of music I am not interested in makes it into my Discover Weekly and Release Radar playlist, which annoyed me. Just learned today Spotify offers a feature to exclude certain playlist from your "taste profile" so that similar songs dont get recommended. That is a neat little feature and I thought I will share with those who might be interested.

All you gotta do is to go to the playlist you want to exclude, click on the three dots (...) menu, and select "Exclude from Taste profile" option. Neat.

Top Bottom